CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Gen X CED Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ced Collector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: A Gen X CED Collection Reply with quote

Hi guys. So I have a long history with the RCA videodics. Back in the early 80's, my grandparents had a player with a stack of movies. As little kids, myself, my two sisters and a couple cousins would often visit our grandparents and back in the 80's kids used to play outside! Remember that? But at night, we would all gather around and watch videodics! What a time this was, in the early 80's. The VCR wasn't out yet (or at least it wasn't affordable yet) and this was amazing because you could watch movies at home now, whenever you wanted and without commercials! I remember being blown away by this.

So my grandparents of course eventually upgraded to the VCR once they became affordable. They had the old videodisc player and it's stack of discs, put out into their garage. Perhaps they would put it on a yard sale and hope to get a few dollars for it, who knows, but I asked them if I could have it. They said of course, as long it was ok with mom and dad, which they agreed too!
(so long as I left all the rated R titles there, but of course you know boys. I managed to sneak in some hehe)

I still have the original player that I got from my grandparents back in, who knows, around 1984 -1986 sometime.

I also had aunts on both side of the family who had videodisc players and recall watching them at their houses too and being loaned movies to watch from the aunt who lived nearby, after getting my player.

I had lost some of my original discs over the years but I've replaced most of them with only 4 or 5 or so still to find.

Here is my player and stack of original movies that I've had since a kid and a few of their replacements.

https://ibb.co/album/NrxGtC

They were not in the best shape, that's for sure, as they were from a rental store. I remember when the store was still open. It's since been converted over to apartments now.
I remember when they had CEDS for rent for in there. I remember in the center, they had the discs in a bin and if I recall correctly, they lined the outside with VHS tapes. I think and uncle was the one who originally got the player there with a stack of movies, then gave it to my grandparents, probably after he himself got a VCR.

I had a small tv in my room and now I could watch movies! SO COOL! I'm sure that's more than common now, but back in the 80's most homes didn't have more than one tv. Some of them skipped, and a couple really bad, to the point where it ruined the endings but I didn't care! I had a videodisc player in my room!!! My house was where my friends wanted to spend the night! Smile

Last edited by Ced Collector on Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ced Collector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while looking for copies to replace the ones I have lost in storage over the years, I quickly began to gain interest in collecting. Not just anything, but movies for the most part movies that have nostalgia to me, with just a few exceptions.

https://ibb.co/album/vCk800

A few came sealed. Jaws 3 was sealed, though it was so fragile I couldn't get it into a new zip lock bag to protect it. It's pretty mint, so I went ahead and just removed the old cellophane. No longer "sealed" but I don't mind.
Jewel of the Nile.
The blue brothers.
Friday the 13th.
the Beatles.

As you can see, I'm going for at least "very good" condition.
I have a few to replace/ upgrade. Any that you see that look poor, and there's only a few, will get changed out.

I'm very close to a complete James Bond set as you can see.
You only live twice - I need the rare edition where he's on the airplane and replace the poor, common copy (looks worse in person.)
live and let die - need to replace that poor copy.

My collection list is down to around 30 or so to go with just 4 or 5 to replace / upgrade.
I have a few on the way and a few that arrived that I haven't photographed yet. Just got Friday of the 13th V and a real mint copy of Gremlins.... figured out how to just post the link to the album, so I'll just keep it updated.

Oh right, did you notice the complete John Carpenter movies, short of just Halloween 3.
I always hated that movie so bad too! Perhaps it's ok. I've got to re-watch it, but it's not a Halloween movie! haha I will add it in to make the complete set when I can find it though.
Ced Collector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my photos updated. Man, that was a lot of work! I can only image the amount of hours Tom has put in to this site to photo all those discs and create the database. This website is priceless. Tom, if you stop in from time to time,, just letting you know, your work is very, very, very much appreciated.
Before joining the forum, I've been using the database to help build my collection. It's been invaluable.

anyway, I added the links to my collections. My originals since I was a kid in the 80's and my modern day collection. I have just a few rough ones (my originals are all rough but it's ok because they have such nostalgia to me personally as they are but in my modern collections, I'll be replacing the poor conditioned copies at some point. There's less than half a dozen.

Anywho, links are in signature. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: