CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Troubleshooting my SKT400

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joepilato

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:03 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting my SKT400 Reply with quote

I just got an SKT 400 from an estate auction. After I'd paid, I was told by the owner "it works fine but the stylus needs to be replaced, which is easy-peasy and you can find them on Craigslist all the time."

OK, so that was a lie. Now I'm troubleshooting and I've got a few questions (I'm new, so please forgive me if they're obvious but searching the forum wasn't helping me all that much).

I've taken it apart (thanks to this video) to inspect the damage and this piece rolls out from inside. What is this and where should it go?

How do I know when the stylus needs replacing? I haven't turn on the machine and don't want to until I think everything is in place.

The belt is melted into goo onto the gears on the back left of the machine so I'm cleaning that up but how clean do I need to get everything? Should it be immaculate or just not sticky anymore? Best way to clean the goo?

Is cedatum the best place for replacing the belt and possibly the stylus? Their website is pretty bare bones.

I'm in Queens NY, in case anybody is nearby and can lend a personal eye.

Thank you all for your time and attention. [/url]
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations on getting the "Cadillac" of CED players. Let me know when you find a stylus on craigslist,that's the first I ever heard of that. Get the service manual for the sjt400, it works for a skt pretty much. That part looks to me what is symbol 35 on the assembly drawings and they call it "actuator,receiver" .
The stylus you send to cedatum for cleaning/inspecting which is free and he will advise you of repairs. I guess another lie would be "works fine but needs stylus replaced" if it works fine why replace the stylus? Just email cedatum and tell them you want to send them a stylus.
I've never cleaned the gooey belt issue, I'd start with rubbing alcohol and see how that goes. Installing the belt is easy to do. Remove 2 screws to remove a small "cover", slide a gear off put the belt on slide the gear back on re-install the 2 screws that hold on the piece you removed to get the gear off. You need the grooves of the pulleys to be free of debris so the belt has a good groove to ride in. I think you can get a belt for free from Tom, the sites founder,if not just tell cedatum you need a belt for it and they'll sell you one and ship it back to you with your stylus.
Good luck but find the service manual, it's free I think it may be found somewhere on the site or thru internet search. sjt400 is what you're looking for.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service manual for your player can be found at:lddb.com.
You wil need to some searching on the site; but, it is there.

FYI: Rubbing alcohol (Isopropy alcohol) works very well on removing the gooey belt residue. I have used it in the past.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
joepilato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
congratulations on getting the "Cadillac" of CED players. Let me know when you find a stylus on craigslist,that's the first I ever heard of that. Get the service manual for the sjt400, it works for a skt pretty much. That part looks to me what is symbol 35 on the assembly drawings and they call it "actuator,receiver" .

Good spot. I don't suppose you've got a better scan than this? It looks about right but this is fuzzy af.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the service manual that covers the sjt 100's200's and 300's (one service manual covers all of those) and it's still number 35 actuater,receiver. I initially identified it from looking at a sjt300 that I have the cover off of,so it was a little easier (I think) to spot it. At that time I didn't think to look at the sjt 100 200 300 service manual, I just thought of it now. My sjt400 looks maybe slightly better than your link but the 100 200 300 offers a much clearer view. probably find it with an internet search or on this site somewhere,it's free.
joepilato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
get the service manual that covers the sjt 100's200's and 300's (one service manual covers all of those) and it's still number 35 actuater,receiver. I initially identified it from looking at a sjt300 that I have the cover off of,so it was a little easier (I think) to spot it. At that time I didn't think to look at the sjt 100 200 300 service manual, I just thought of it now. My sjt400 looks maybe slightly better than your link but the 100 200 300 offers a much clearer view. probably find it with an internet search or on this site somewhere,it's free.

I just opened the machine up and poked around until I found where the piece fits and sure enough, the support for it is bent open. Hmm, this is starting to be more hassle than I wanted. I might just sell this for parts.

Thanks for the prompt reply, though!
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think selling for parts is a good option. Most all of the parts are the same as the less expensive sjt series players. You have the top of the line player, I'd try to get it working. I haven't played with that area of the player. The 2 sjt 300's I have opened just needed the front switches replaced with new,real switches and have the belt replaced,cartridge inspected,turntable shaft lubed/cleaned. Now I just need to get them put back together.
joepilato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid point. I still don't want to go through the hassle, though. I think I'll sell it as is and let someone else fix it up and reap the reward. I just don't have room in my life for another project, ya know?

Any idea what this machine is worth with that piece snapped off?
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say,just looking at ebay completed listings it seems like if it has the original box it's worth more (?) . It would probably be more luck of the draw. It would be nice for you to know how much it operates to give more of a description than "this piece fell off". Ebay is just so "quirky" at least in my opinion. So many times it seems people pay for such junk yet if I list the same thing or have listed in the past I get 2 cents where as in the other case they might have got $200. They are expensive to ship and you need a big box and package it well. It would also be a good idea to install the "shipping screws" if it doesn't have the shipping pins.
joepilato

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I appreciate all your input. I don't suppose you're near NYC or know an enthusiast who is?
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I'm in southern Michigan. I don't know where everyone is from. I wouldn't mind having it but I won't pay more than $50 including shipping for players anymore. I have about 20 or so now that need repair. Or tuned up at least. My plan was fix them up and sell them but so far I've only completed the process on 2 players. One I'm using and the other has been sitting here for maybe a year . I need to make a styrofoam "nest" for it for packaging it up and haven't got to that point yet. I've somewhat lost interest and along the way I got a laserdisc player that I like alot so I've been buying a few laserdiscs here and there.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

considering the stylus is in questionable condition, and it needs a few minor repairs, id say its worth in the area of 50-75 bucks if it has a remote and the cover is clean... shipping them is dicey if you dont have the shipping locks
joepilato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. can somebody loan them if needed?

There is another 400 on ebay at the moment in Winchester, MA and they are local pickup only, that's nigh impossible living on OREGON. The price is right and open to a best offer though.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324000363759
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seller says it's absolutely LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. Riding a bike for 2500 miles in the snow to get it isn't for me.

Are you going to keep this or sell like you posted in FOR SALE earlier?
Either Way is fine but I'd like to know.
tomh5157

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the service manual for the sjt400, it works for a skt pretty much. That part looks to me what is symbol 35 on the assembly drawings and they call it "actuator,receiver" .
The stylus you send to cedatum for cleaning/inspecting which is free and he will advise you of repairs. I guess another lie would be "works fine but needs stylus replaced" if it works fine why replace the stylus? Just email cedatum and tell them you want to send them a stylus.
I've never cleaned the gooey belt issue, I'd start with rubbing alcohol and see how that goes. Installing the belt is easy to do. Remove 2 screws to remove a small "cover", slide a gear off put the belt on slide the gear back on re-install the 2 screws that hold on the piece you removed to get the gear off. You need the grooves of the pulleys to be free of debris so the belt has a good groove to ride in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: