CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

11 players (7 working), 1200 Discs, five extra styli, etc..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: 11 players (7 working), 1200 Discs, five extra styli, etc.. Reply with quote

I made a ridiculous haul today. A repairman in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area's estate. He also had hundreds, really hundreds, of Marantz turntables and other pricey audio gear.

By some of the notes on the players he was testing them and working on them as recently as 2017.

I obviously can't keep them all but I still haven't even started to look at the discs so it will be a minute before I figure out what to do. I just jumped from one working player and 400 discs to eight and 1600.

For anyone interested here is what I snagged:

SGT-250 Note says "needs lubrication". Picture is great, Rapid Access works visual search only works for a few seconds.

SJT-90 Note says "Works New Belt 3-1-17" Works great, little scuffed up.

SGT-100 Note says "Works good has 'O' ring belt?" It works great. I'm not sure what he means by the note.

SFT-100 No Note need to jiggle the 3-4 channel switch a bit but then crystal clear and functioning.

SGT-100 Note "Works Good" Clean and works like brand new.

SJT-90 No Note was tricky to load, wait about 45 seconds for it to switch from load to playing. Then works great.

SGT-200 Note "No Stereo Mono Only" plays beautifully.

I should say I tested these quickly with COAX, they could have other problems with AV cables, or whatever else, I tested FF and Rapid Access on most but can't be sure I did on all. If I sell one I'll give it a full test.

Here are the broken ones:

SKT-400 in original box, with original box packaging, box for remote but sadly no remote. Does not power up but there is something wrapped in bubble wrap and labeled "CED Player Power Supply" it may have been a work in progress. Even his wife knew that was "the good one".

SGT-100 only plays in fuzzy B&W, probably needs belt.

SJT-400 Loads, noisy, doesn't play

SJT-90 won't load, acts as if it has a disc in there, it might, no time to look today.

Other stuff:
Five styli, have yet to look at them. One is NOS in box, three are in other cases. One is in a case like CEDatum sends. It is labeled as having been replaced but still good.

Pile of repair schematics.

There may be other surprises when I get into looking through the 17 large totes loaded with discs.

This is nuts. No clue where to put this stuff. No it isn't stacked like that anymore. Getting this in my house by myself was a trip.

SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! i was wondering who was going to pick that up! i am interested in knowing what service literature you got and if you are willing to sell it? That was a helluva deal for sure! im right over in Hartford, im also interested in the sgt 250.
Also i am looking for savage streets, if you have it!
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going through the movies which have fully taken over my house. I'm going to separate out all the duplicates and get rid of those first. What's great about this is that I absolutely need to get rid of things now, not just CEDs, all of my ridiculous collections. No more slacking if I want to be able to move around without stepping over things.

I don't believe I have Savage Streets but I'll look out for it.

I just looked at what I thought was a pile of manuals. It's really one intense service manual for an SJT 400 with separate schematics sheets. As that is one of my broken ones I want to look at it for a minute but would be happy to sell or trade it.

In all honesty I'll probably sell all the broken machines as is pretty soon because I now have 7 1/2 working ones (a belt is in order for one of them.) I'll end up selling most of the working ones eventually but I've got to see how things settle into the house first.

I'm going to do a mix of eBay and craigslist with the craigslist basically being a quick way to dump the duplicates not worth the time to eBay. I now have somewhere over 1500 movies and think I can work that down to about 700 that I personally like and can fit on one wall.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about giving me first "crack" at the stereo/mono alignment disc if you find one? I have one from ebay but one side has a scratch on it. I haven't even looked at the second side of it.
Somewhat off topic.....I also have the mono test disc that isn't supposed to be used in the later players,I think because the caddy gets hung up in the player or something??Could the mono disc be inserted into the stereo/mono caddy and then used in later players?
The other topic on here with the free discs is somewhat of interest to me,I'm about 45 minutes from them but the last 500 discs I got were all bad and I threw all of them in the trash. Also,so many are movies I have no interest in and the thought of loading and unloading all of them is not appealing.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

test discs are the same on both sides. you can put the mono disc in a stereo caddy if you like but the mono disc is missing a few things the stereo disc has. the mono disc caddys can and do get hung up in auto loaders
lynx

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! You definitely made a ridiculous haul! How many truck loads worth of discs & players was it?!

Anyway, I am interested in the SFT 100 W;how much are you asking for it, and would you be willing to ship it to me? Mine has been malfunctioning for a long time, so I have been looking for another one. Perhaps I could help you take it off of your hands! Since you are a New Yorker & I live in California, I know that the shipping & handling price will be expensive! Just let me know. Thanks.
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lynx: I won't be selling players for awhile but I'll remember you when I do. I lucked out in that the whole lot was being transferred from Buffalo to NYC past my house so I got delivery of it. It filled most of a Uhaul van.

jsdspif: I didn't get any service discs, and If I had I'd probably hang onto them.

So far I've found about seven different titles in the VR category and I'm sure there are others, but aside from Enemy Mine they are unlikely to be of interest to anyone; Rainbow Brite, Goldy the last Beat (or whatever it was called) etc. Two VR titles that look good are Sweet Dreams, a movie about Patsy Cline, and War Lover, a B & W WWII movie.

I did land a number of titles I have almost bought on eBay (and even better didn't get any that I already paid full price for on eBay). Amazingly with 1600 discs in the house now I can easily think of a dozen titles I really want and don't have.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you're not aware, I supply the small servo belt for the SFT/SGT players and their clones. I only charge $6 for two belts. If you're interested, just drop me a note at cedbelts1@mredison.com. These are flexible from day one and unlike the generic FRX replacement do not need to be pre-stretched.
johngreve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn’t stack all those players on top of each other...especially the sgt models as the weight will warp the top of the covers which will prevent the player from tracking all the way to the end of the disc. Usually when a cover is warped it will hang up at about the 50 minute mark of the disc. It looks like its playing the same scene over and over again. Nice haul!
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
johngreve

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really shouldn’t stack all those players on top of each other...especially the sgt models as the weight will warp the top of the covers which will prevent the player from tracking all the way to the end of the disc. Usually when a cover is warped it will hang up at about the 50 minute mark of the disc. It looks like its playing the same scene over and over again. Nice haul!
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The machines were only stacked like that for a minute or two, as soon as everything was inside I went through the pile to see what I got making notes on each machine as I tried to play it. I've gotten the house back to a semblance of normal. But in the process picked up a new TV, a Motorola Quasar from 1969. It is a bit faded but that might not actually be the tube. I have a 1983 Zenith console I typically use for watching discs that has crystal clear bright picture and is more time appropriate.

I had to build some new shelves. I've got everything sorted by genre with stuff I'll never reach for harder to get to (Jesus and Holocaust box sets, etc.). All of the duplicates are separated and in the basement now, five totes worth, about half as many as are on the shelves. Plenty of good stuff I just don't need doubles. I'll be trying to ebay it out of the house after the new year along with several of the machines.

The SGT-100 is my old reliable, plus looks better there than the silver models. The VCR is a VBT-200 from October 1977. It works but shuts off randomly and until I can figure that out I don't play it.

tedb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngreve wrote:

Hey John, I used to attend WI/IL collector's meetings at your house. Can you please contact me at tedbrunner@live.com .. Thanks!

(sorry for posting this publicly, but the PM function is disabled.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: