CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBG-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I recently decided to take a dive back into my childhood and grab an old videodisc player from a local shop. Came with a bunch of movies, but I had some of my own kicking around. We had one of these back in the 80s and my parents had sold it for a VCR (around 1985 I believe).

Anyhow, I got bit by the nostalgia bug and needed to have one again. There is something about watching my old horror movie collection on my CRT over my HD projector that I love.

I wasn't expecting this thing to work when I plugged it in, it's probably never been serviced. But it works, somewhat. The stylus has seen better days. The longer a movie plays, the more static on the screen. I popped the stylus out and the needle was dangling out of the plastic shell. Judging by the pictures, that's not normal.

All discs act the same so I'm assuming the stylus has just come to the end of it's purpose. Looking at the end of it, the needle itself is much higher on the inside than the bottom that touches the disc. The disk side of the stylus is basically a nub you can barely see.

Anyhow I'm assuming I'm now on the hunt for a part that no longer exists. Any repair tips whilst I hunt for a new or refurbished stylus would be welcome. I believe the model I have is an SJT-090.

Thank you for your time and now I'm going to browse the for sale section for movies I'd love to watch again on this machine!

Chris
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those stylus' can still be found, or you can have your current one rebuilt by john at cedatum.com welcome back Smile
MBG-Chris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yeah - lots of memories attached to this thing. Ghostbusters, Fire and Ice, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I must have been about 7-8 when I remember renting movies for it all the time, so it's pretty cool to be able to go back and watch this stuff again they way I used to watch it.

I think I emailed that site last night. I wasn't sure if it was still active considering the age of the technology Smile

I'll wait for a reply then! I asked if there were Stylus' for sale.

After I put the cartridge back in last night the image was even worse and eventually stopped working, there was barely any dirty on the needle as there was nothing for it to really attach to at this point.

Thanks again!

Chris
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just be patient. john at cedatum is retired from RCA and does the stylus work. sometimes he has a lot on his plate, because he is basically the only one who can.
MBG-Chris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'll be very patient! No rush on this end. I'm two weeks out from a work deadline so not much time to mess around with anything right now anyways.

He replied to me shortly after you did yesterday!

I've got movies to track down now too, waiting for everything to get here is also part of the fun Smile

Chris
MBG-Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stylus came! John has been great to talk to!
The machine has a lot of other issues as well as the stylus. I'll work on it over time.

And now for a whole new thread about the SFT-100 I just got off of ebay LOL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: