CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Faulty RCA servo motor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Faulty RCA servo motor Reply with quote

My CED player has a problem which has me stumped & frustrated.

For the last few months, my CED player will start playing a movie normally, and during the opening credits of a disc, the player will start making a buzzing noise, similar to a washing machine, and then the picture will freeze up & play the last few seconds of the scene in reverse without any sound. Doing some research on this web site, the problem is seemingly with the servo motor. I bought a new servo belt from Kevin at Mister Edison in Massachusetts & installed it. It worked fine for a while, so I thought I had solved the problem, but it is still malfunctioning & doing the exact same thing it was doing before with the old servo belt.

Another similar issue my CED player has is that some of my discs will play fine all the way thru, but the servo motor will fail on other discs. Yesterday, I attempted to play some discs, and some of them would not begin playback at all, and the player would not make any mechanical sound at all, which it normally does when I start a disc. One disc I played yesterday played fine for the first 48 minutes of side one, and then it stopped playing any further & continuously played the last few seconds of video, just like it does in the beginning of the discs.

Can any one help me at all? It is all very confusing, and I do not know what to do. Yesterday, I posted a free want ad for a working player in the RCA Video Disc Classifieds, and I am guessing that it could be a long time before I get a response to my ad, but it is still worth a try.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when was the last time you had the cartridge cleaned and inspected? That is pretty much my "go to" line,but I've had players do some strange stuff and think "can't be the cartridge" ,send the cartridge in and sure enough,something or other is wrong with it. It's kind of nice to have a known good spare strictly for testing. Even with that,play one bad disc with it and it might be damaged after that.
lynx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
when was the last time you had the cartridge cleaned and inspected? That is pretty much my "go to" line,but I've had players do some strange stuff and think "can't be the cartridge" ,send the cartridge in and sure enough,something or other is wrong with it. It's kind of nice to have a known good spare strictly for testing. Even with that,play one bad disc with it and it might be damaged after that.

I had the cartridge cleaned & inspected approximately three years ago by a company in Indiana that sells CED parts. The picture has been poor ever since I started using the cartridge, but when I sent it in, they said the cartridge was fine. It is the only cartridge that I have; perhaps I will try to find another one. It has the model number 149000, which is what is supposed to be used in my CED player model number.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it was cedatum? If so you might want to send it back and have it checked. He may also have cartridges for sale. I would say you need the service manual for your player and need to get the cover back off and watch it work (or attempt to work) when playing a disc. You also really need to carefully inspect the discs before playing them. I bought 500 discs years ago and none of them were any good. I almost think they may have been removed from a dump. One bad disc can often be the end of a good cartridge. But you state picture has been poor since using the cartridge makes me think something else could be wrong.
lynx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
I'm guessing it was cedatum? If so you might want to send it back and have it checked. He may also have cartridges for sale. I would say you need the service manual for your player and need to get the cover back off and watch it work (or attempt to work) when playing a disc. You also really need to carefully inspect the discs before playing them. I bought 500 discs years ago and none of them were any good. I almost think they may have been removed from a dump. One bad disc can often be the end of a good cartridge. But you state picture has been poor since using the cartridge makes me think something else could be wrong.

Yes, it was CEDATUM that I sent my stylus cartridge to for work. Four months ago, I wrote an E mail to them about the cartridge service, and I also asked about buying a turntable drive belt, but I never heard back from them. I ordered the service manual for my player from Sams Technical Publishing; I bought both manuals they sell, which are the original RCA service manual, and also their own service manual. I also found a reference to another manual on this web site, which is now out of print, that I am thinking about looking for. The problem is that I can not find any technicians in my local area who work on CED players, possibly because it is a very old & obscure product.

Maybe I played some bad discs; I can not remember. It sounds like a good idea to check the discs before I play them, so I will keep it in mind.

Yes, the picture has always been poor with the cartridge I have. On almost every disc I have played, there is static & lines in the picture, and the picture sometimes goes blurry. Another issue my player has is that the picture will turn green & pink for a few seconds, and then go back to normal, and then go bad again, alternating between normal & poor, until the end of the disc. It does not do it all the time, but it has been persistent ever since I bought the player. Normally, it happens after a disc has been playing for a while.

I will also take the outer cabinet off, then play a disc with it off to see what happens. Maybe I can find a problem then.

For now, I am still at a loss over what to do next. I do not know if I should keep trying to find someone who is skilled with CED players & can work on it, or if I should do what is suggested on cedmagic.com, which is to try to find a working player, and save my player in storage as a parts unit. I will just wait & see what happens with the classifieds want ad that I placed. Even if someone offers me a working CED player, there is always the issue of shipping & handling; besides the expensive price, large & heavy packages like it can get damaged in the mail.

Wow! 500 CEDs is a huge load, and all of them were bad? That must have been a heartbreaking experience! I live in a small condominium, so I do not have the space for that many discs.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a year or 2 ago (probably more like 2) ced datum said the turntable belts were getting scarce and usually don't go bad. I think I found a canadian site and bought a belt from them but have yet to try it.
I think that color change thing may be speed related and the turntable shaft may need lubrication. Maybe after running long enough enough heat builds up in the shaft and the bronze "bearings" it rides in to make it a slightly tighter fit and with no lube it slows it down. By heat buildup I don't mean smoking hot . Just taking a piece of steel at room temperature and holding it in your hand for a couple minutes will cause the steel to get bigger. I'm talking like a tenth of a width of a human hair type bigger,but that could be enough to cause some binding.
The static and lines may just be a dirty disc and they say the more you play it it will improve. I take my discs and run them on a japanese record cleaner. It is a dry cleaner,has a rotating brush and an electronic feature to de-static the record. The rotating brush is very soft and very little pressure is exerted,it mainly just "brushes" the dust into a small compartment on the device.
As for someone to work on it I don't think that will happen. I know a few years ago my friend was trying to find someone to just work on his stereo receiver and he told me "you know there are no more repair places since Bills went out of business". We do have an electronics guy in town but he quit doing repair work years ago and when I was there a while back a repair guy from somewhere else was there (the old electronics guy has this guy repair stuff) but the old guy was telling him about work that customers had complained about. The old guy told me he was going to have to find someone else to do the repair work "that is if I can find someone". It's almost you just have to start watching the machine operate and read the manuals. You said you changed a belt it may be that belt is still too tight. I think that's the belt that if you get it from here it needs to be stretched and you bought the 2 belts for whatever that don't need to be stretched? I know cedatum I think are using the tight belt and splitting it in half and then they stick a little bead (I think it was a bead) onto the motor shaft to keep the skinny belt in position.
I'd probably say open it up and there are instructions on the site for turning the player upside down and lubricating the turntable shaft that way. I have removed mine to lube it but on another player attempting to do that lead to more problems. It sounds like for you lubing it the upside down way may be better.
It could also be there is some dust/debris buildup around the motor shaft. I just thought of something,for some reason I'm thinking you have a sft100 (which is what I have been talking about) but now I'm confused why I think that? we'll have to carry on after I confirm your player.
lynx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
a year or 2 ago (probably more like 2) ced datum said the turntable belts were getting scarce and usually don't go bad. I think I found a canadian site and bought a belt from them but have yet to try it.
I think that color change thing may be speed related and the turntable shaft may need lubrication. Maybe after running long enough enough heat builds up in the shaft and the bronze "bearings" it rides in to make it a slightly tighter fit and with no lube it slows it down. By heat buildup I don't mean smoking hot . Just taking a piece of steel at room temperature and holding it in your hand for a couple minutes will cause the steel to get bigger. I'm talking like a tenth of a width of a human hair type bigger,but that could be enough to cause some binding.
The static and lines may just be a dirty disc and they say the more you play it it will improve. I take my discs and run them on a japanese record cleaner. It is a dry cleaner,has a rotating brush and an electronic feature to de-static the record. The rotating brush is very soft and very little pressure is exerted,it mainly just "brushes" the dust into a small compartment on the device.
As for someone to work on it I don't think that will happen. I know a few years ago my friend was trying to find someone to just work on his stereo receiver and he told me "you know there are no more repair places since Bills went out of business". We do have an electronics guy in town but he quit doing repair work years ago and when I was there a while back a repair guy from somewhere else was there (the old electronics guy has this guy repair stuff) but the old guy was telling him about work that customers had complained about. The old guy told me he was going to have to find someone else to do the repair work "that is if I can find someone". It's almost you just have to start watching the machine operate and read the manuals. You said you changed a belt it may be that belt is still too tight. I think that's the belt that if you get it from here it needs to be stretched and you bought the 2 belts for whatever that don't need to be stretched? I know cedatum I think are using the tight belt and splitting it in half and then they stick a little bead (I think it was a bead) onto the motor shaft to keep the skinny belt in position.
I'd probably say open it up and there are instructions on the site for turning the player upside down and lubricating the turntable shaft that way. I have removed mine to lube it but on another player attempting to do that lead to more problems. It sounds like for you lubing it the upside down way may be better.
It could also be there is some dust/debris buildup around the motor shaft. I just thought of something,for some reason I'm thinking you have a sft100 (which is what I have been talking about) but now I'm confused why I think that? we'll have to carry on after I confirm your player.

Thank you for all the information. It was very helpful, and now I can at least get an idea of what could possibly be wrong with my player.

Yes, you are correct, I have an RCA SFT 100. It is the only CED player I own, and there are no CED players for sale at all anywhere near me. Every time I look on E Bay, all of the CED players for sale are either broken or overpriced. From what I can tell, the RCA SFT 100 seems to me one of the more common CED player models.

It sounds like I am on my own as far as repairing my player, and I was never really optimistic about finding a technician who can work on it for me. The only electronics repair shop in my area only works on vintage audio gear, but not any kind of video equipment. I have been to his shop many times to have my radios, tape decks, and record players repaired, and he is very good, but he just works on audio products. I have ordered both of the service manuals for my player, and I will just try my best to get it working normally again by taking it apart & watching what it does.

The heat problem causing picture problems sounds familiar to me; I think I have read somewhere on cedmagic.com about a different model of CED player which also has a similar problem, where the player gets too hot after it has been playing for a while. I think it was one of the higher end models, instead of the SFT 100.

Yes, I bought the two servo motor belts from Kevin in Massachusetts. I found a message on here which says he makes them himself, and they do not need to be stretched. I suppose I could try ordering the free belts that still need to be stretched; I don't know. I will also attempt the lubrication on my player, but I do not know which lubricant I should use.

I thought maybe the turntable drive belts would be scarce by now. When I contacted CEDATUM earlier this year, I never heard back from them when I E mailed them. I have their business card, which has a telephone number, so I guess I could try calling them.

Thanks for all the help, and I will keep you posted.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to do the turn it upside down method probably those small cans of 3 in 1 oil would be fine. I think the bronze "bearings" that surround the turntable shaft (they're not really bearings as what I think of bearings,I think of them as a bushing or a sleeve) were originally probably impregnated with a lube but eventually dry up,and/or lube soaks into the bronze. I'm not sure what it looks like from underneath but if the oil spout won't fit into the area maybe put some oil in a syringe or take like a piece of coat hanger wire and place the end of the wire where you want the oil applied and then put oil on the wire and let it run down the wire to where you want the oil to go.
The belts he sells probably work just fine. He's tested them and others have used them. Once you get it open and watch it run and listen to it running you may hear something "not quite right" and may be able to pinpoint. Again talking heat build up,we're talking very little. It's not going to be like hold your hand over it and it gets burnt.
With the service manual the repair guy can probably get it going because I'm not even a repair guy and I found faulty "chips" in mine and made adjustments using oscilloscope and frequency counter, the thing is he's got to spend time on it and even then he can't find the problem but he still needs to get paid. So then you say "you didn't even fix it" it just becomes a headache for the repair place,
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what is is worth: I have heard that tenacious oil is used on the turntable shaft. I bought some from Amazon so it is available.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: