CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's usually something simple.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: It's usually something simple. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I have around 15,000 78 RPM records and 10,000 LPs. Along the way to those numbers I accumulated a handful of CEDs that I was always fascinated with. All I really knew was that they weren't Laser Discs.

So after ten years of showing "Zombie" and "Tron" to people who had no idea what they were looking at I bought a SGT 100 on ebay along with 55 awesome titles. Then 25 more.

I expected some imperfection in the player. In my case it was color issues. Not a lag which I read would mean a fade to B&W, it instead was just blotchy green and orange etc.

Picked up a new stylus from CEDatum. Somewhat better (my old stylus wasn't that bad, a good thing, I'm going to have him look at it.) Still the color issue.

Figured I needed to change the belt and lubricate. Was looking for instructions. Saw something about positioning the lever and how it effected turntable height.

Played with the lever, moving it just a tad above the locked in play position, just a bit of pressure and BOOM. Perfect new stylus color and picture : )

So now my question is, should I leave good enough alone? I can play my movies acceptably well. Belt seems fine, turntable is a bit noisy but apparently doesn't need oil. The turntable height is apparently a tiny bit off but this fix works. Will a break it trying to correct the height?

Anyway...

I love this damn thing. I've watched several movies and get a frakish joy out of it I sure don't get from Netflix. Now I'm really addicted and I have this site to blame!

In addition to shellac records I have somewhere over a dozen crank phonographs and around a dozen 1920s battery style "farm" radios. Somewhere in the range of 50 record players of all kinds....

And those are the "normal" collections. You don't even wanna know about the oddball stuff.

So since it is inevitable, which CED player should I get next?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your asking which player you should get is opening up a rat's nest. Everyone has their own favorite player so you will get a variety of different answers.

I am personally torn between an Hitachi VIP1000 with an STA300 stereo adapter or an RCA SJT-200 player. (The SJT-200 has the stereo circuitry factory installed.) The VIP1000 is well built as many of the internal gears are made of metal so they should give a long service life. The RCA player is mentioned as parts and the stylus are much easier to come by than Hitachi player parts.

My first player was a Sears 934.54780150 which worked for over 5 years with no problems. (I bought it in 1983 at an actual Sears store.) Last year I replaced its belts as I felt it was due some maintenance.

I now open up the floor for other viewer opinions.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my opinion. try to fin an sgt250. where are you located?
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Utica, New York.

A month in I'm still watching movies pretty regularly. It is partly because I got a really good haul of sci-fi, some of which I'd never seen. It's strange. On streaming services I rarely watch movies, just shows, but I find the low fidelity and older movies relaxing.

For one thing as my TV is also my computer monitor and I run a website, when I stream stuff I'm still checking up on things in other tabs. To watch the CED player I need to switch the input so it forces me to "unplug" from my other activities and just focus.

I've come close to bidding on other players but I'm concentrating on finding movies. Just missed a big lot on craigslist, they do seem to come up.

Came on here today to find advice on getting the picture as good as possible on a modern TV. I'm sure I'll find it in the forums.

Thank you for the replies!

I'd want my next player to look different from the SGT 100 I have. Several of the RCA's are pretty indistinguishable.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Syncopated1:

I live 10 miles northwest of Norwich, NY. We are almost neighbors.

You say you want a player that is "different".

Go here and look at what players were built.

http://www.cedmagic.com/museum/ced-player-guide/ced-player-guide.html

Then select which one meets your criteria and look for it on E-bay or advertise for it on this forum.

As you can see by my signature, I have a few players that I have picked up over the years. Not all of them work; but, that is one of my projects: Get as many players working as I can. One problem is that there is very little documentation for the Hitachi chassis players which makes working on them a real chore.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Syncopated1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Just saw this now. Reply with quote

Dang I've looked all over the repair sections and charts for belts and never saw that player guide page, thanks. I do want one that would remain easily fixable. Playing well is important to me. Stereo sound and RCA jacks and a remote would all be a bonus. I just have the SGT 100. I've got it in part to use it.

Two days ago I was out in Wampsville picking up a collection of about 250 discs off of Craigslist. Lots of good stuff, but I also now have enough duplicates to inspire me to maybe finally get stuff up on eBay.

I've collected records all my life but am really enjoying watching old movies on my player. 78rpm records I buy and they go right on the shelf, the movies, at least the good ones, I actually watch. Stuff I've never heard of that you aren't going to find on Netflix (and wouldn't watch if it was there.)

I'm enjoying the low-res movies so much I went out and bought a VCR from 1977, the first US distributed model. Needs some work but now is the time for hobbies.

I came on here today because my player is a bit louder than I would like it to be. Plays fine, if a little bit on the dark side but I feel like I should do something to make it quieter because it could eventually wear something out.

If you ever have a player for sale let me know. Cool to think someone else has these in the area.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Just saw this now. Reply with quote

Syncopated1 wrote:
Dang I've looked all over the repair sections and charts for belts and never saw that player guide page, thanks. I do want one that would remain easily fixable. Playing well is important to me. Stereo sound and RCA jacks and a remote would all be a bonus. I just have the SGT 100. I've got it in part to use it.

Two days ago I was out in Wampsville picking up a collection of about 250 discs off of Craigslist. Lots of good stuff, but I also now have enough duplicates to inspire me to maybe finally get stuff up on eBay.

I've collected records all my life but am really enjoying watching old movies on my player. 78rpm records I buy and they go right on the shelf, the movies, at least the good ones, I actually watch. Stuff I've never heard of that you aren't going to find on Netflix (and wouldn't watch if it was there.)

I'm enjoying the low-res movies so much I went out and bought a VCR from 1977, the first US distributed model. Needs some work but now is the time for hobbies.

I came on here today because my player is a bit louder than I would like it to be. Plays fine, if a little bit on the dark side but I feel like I should do something to make it quieter because it could eventually wear something out.

If you ever have a player for sale let me know. Cool to think someone else has these in the area.

To answer your questions:
1) IMHO, I would pick the RCA SJT-200 player. Most parts are available from www.cedmagic.com as well as cleaning and refurbishing the stylus.

2) A couple of years ago, I went to Gilbertsville to pick up a collection of discs. The owner gave me about 200 CED's and an SJT-400 player. The player needs work; but, I can still get parts for it so it should not be to much of a job.

3) I do not do much with 78 rpm records. I have some that were pressed with only one side with the record groove. The other side is flat. I do not know when they were made; but, I am keeping them as a curiosity.

4) I have a Sony VCR for my small collection of VHS tapes.

5) A loud player may need lubrication. I have not done any turntable lubrication so I am not an expert.

5) I will let you know if I have a good working player for sale. The price will include house to house delivery.

TTFN (Ta Ta for now).
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: