CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for repair on my RCA Selectavision Videodisc player

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkspell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Looking for repair on my RCA Selectavision Videodisc player Reply with quote

I have an RCA Selectavision SGT200 that I am looking for someone to repair. I am not technical and do not want to repair it myself. I will pay to have it shipped, repaired and shipped back. I am in NE Florida. I have been unsucessful in finding anyone locally or otherwise who repairs these things but I've had this thing for 20 years and over 300 discs and would love to have it up and running!

The player is playing ok when you put the disc in but then skipping and replaying the same scene over and over and will not progress forward. It happens on more than one disc so I know it's the player not the disc.

Anyone do this for fun/on the side/know anyone that does?

TIA! Smile
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you say you don't want to work on it yourself,but...
It may be the cartridge is just in need of cleaning and or repair. On your player there is a portion on top of the player ,I'm going to call it an access door,you just slide that door off,and then there's a little black plastic latch under it that you slide very slightly to the side and that opens a metal door and then you just lift the cartridge out. Send it to CEDatum and they clean it and inspect it for free and then inform you if it needs repaired or replaced. I almost think wiping your bottom is more complicated than removeing a cartridge in these players because they have that access door. You can maybe look on youtube for any sgt player and probably see how it's done. Or you probably could ship the whole player to CEDatum but It would be a major pain in the you know what and you still would have to remove that access door because to ship these you have to restrain the cartridge arm so it won't move and that is actually more complicated than just removing the cartridge. Then shipping would probably be about $50 (?) each way plus cost of repair... you get the idea. I have a service manual for that player that I could email you or it may be on this site? Any service manual for a sgt would work,sjt manuals WILL NOT work. Good luck with it.
And to complicate matters even more the discs should be inspected before playing because a bad disc can damage the cartridge.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is happening at the start of the disc, i.e., you play a minute or so and then it "freezes", or if you fast forward and then it freezes again, the servo belt in your machine is loose and needs to be replaced. Contact CEDatum or CEDmagic for assistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: