CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith VP2000 Problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rancidskater

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Zenith VP2000 Problems Reply with quote

Hello! New to the forum, looking for some help.

I have a Zenith VP2000 CED player which loads and plays audio and video for a minute or two, then rewinds and plays the same portion over and over.

I have tried multiple discs and gotten the same result.

Searching the forums it seems like this is a belt issue, turntable or servo belt.

I placed an order on matchaknob which was cancelled due to out of stock.

I also called and sent an email to PRB/russell industries and heard nothing.

Wondering if anyone could help me out with ideas, or anything.

Thanks so much!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Cedatum, they specialize in parts and service for CED players.

They are also members of this site.

Note that there is no PM function here by design, an anti-spam measure.

cedatum.com
rancidskater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're very welcome, and good luck with the repair.
johngreve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the servo belt is worn out and slipping. You can order one from CED Magics “Products Page”.
I but my belts at Russell Industries all the time....just call them.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
rancidskater

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced the servo belt, and it WORKS!

Thanks for the help everyone Very Happy

Now if I can get the other player I got for 5$ working

RCA SFT100W.

It seems to play, but is very glitchy and the video changes from black and white, I saw a bunch of suggestions in the forum.

Maybe start with the turntable belt first? Any hints?
BDR529

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forum and relatively new to Video Disc Players, but always fascinated by them. I recently acquired a Zenith VP2000 as well and suspected I needed to change the belt. I have the parts but am unsure how to take the player apart to fix.

I took out the back screws but when I put pressure on it, it just seems like the plastic is going to snap. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just don’t want to break anything!

Thanks,

BDR
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the 100,I'd send the cartridge to cedatum for cleaning/inspection and after you send it to them go ahead and check turntable speed. I check mine with a cheap (laser?) tachometer and an old disc . I actually use a disc with a blank B side I think ?? Anyway that tach is like $10 and you just stick a little piece of the reflective tape that comes with the tach to the surface of the disc.(which is why you use an old disc/something that you would never play because sticking the tape to it would probably damage the disc and even if you take the tape off the residue left behind wouldn't do the stylus any good) Then you just turn the player on and point the laser of the tach straight down onto the area where it hits the tape and you get a readout of rpm. I know there was some sort of strobe deal on the site that you print out and view under a flourescent light but I couldn't get that to work. I wanted the tach anyway and I've used it a few times on other projects and also my friend has borrowed it a few times. There may be another way to check speed but that's how I do mine.
Besides the belt the motor could probably use a thorough cleaning and lubricating. I did one and the unit looked extremely clean but the motor shaft had a few long hairs wrapped around it. It was almost like someone put some long hairs in the player on purpose,but I doubt if that is how they got there. Really clean,except 2 or 3 long hairs around the motor shaft.
johngreve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color changing issues and going into black and white is almost always turntable rpm being to low due to lack of lubrication on the turntable shaft and bearings. Go onto youtube and do a search for CED Workshop player repair and maintenance. You will find videos that discuss how to do this.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Color shifting issues are usually a turntable belt issue. It is sllipping. Order a new one from CEDatum.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Color shifting issues are usually a turntable belt issue. It is sllipping. Order a new one from CEDatum.

from what i understand, the belt only gets the turntable up to speed, where a secondary electromagnetic force keeps it going with feedback from the synchronizer. and its the synchronizer plates that are usually out of spec when the color shift happens.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just change the belt and that will fix the color shifting in and out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: