CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Hunt for Rare Titles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjodrummer

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: How to Hunt for Rare Titles Reply with quote

I'm currently in the middle of getting the white NFL disc and the stereo service disc, which would make those the rarest discs in my collection. The other rare titles I own are the Stereo Demo disc, the $19.98 Preview disc, and two interactive titles.

Like anyone, I am always on the hunt for the rare titles (e.g., Aloha, A Walk Through the Universe), but it seems like such a hopeless endeavor at times when you only look at the Bay. So, I wanted to know: for those who have had success in getting such titles in their collection, how and where did you find them, and is eBay really the best place to use to search for these titles? Also, are there any nontrivial places where I can check to look for these titles (e.g., seeing if any university still owns a copy of A Walk Through the Universe)?

Thank you!
Skaredmask

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not a bad idea to eBay or see if someone here has something to sell or trade for them.... I’ve seen quite a few in the wild this year but I don’t know what’s “rare”. I manly look for movies I want that wouldn’t be bad on CED. However when I’ve seen CEDs In the wild there usually completely different discs and a couple repeats do to everyone’s unique tastes.

Since there isn’t a huge collectors base for physical media anymore most people and most people that buy CEDs buy the for art or resales (I don’t) . I’ve seen so mainly times disk 1 or 2 but not complete set of discs. Do to people not knowing there’s 2 disk to a movie cause they bought it and are trying to resell it or seen disc but no player.
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had decent luck on eBay this past year or two with A Catch the Wave and Blue Aloha disc as well as a Memories disc. Also found the three WW2 discs mixed in with a few other WW2 movies. Most recently I’ve found a Rocky Championship Collection boxed set complete and in nice shape mixed in with a lot of about 15 other discs. Also picked up a sealed CBS Sampler and a 1984 RCA Systems disc. So things can certainly be found on EBay at totally random times. If your a member of the FB group CED Magic nice rarities can be picked up there at times as well. That’s how I got my White Aloha disc maybe 6 months ago. Just gotta keep looking.... keep your eyes and ears open and things will pop up for you on occasion. It’s the thrill of the hunt basically. Best of luck and Happy Hunting
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
johngreve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had decent luck on eBay this past year or two with A Catch the Wave and Blue Aloha disc as well as a Memories disc. Also found the three WW2 discs mixed in with a few other WW2 movies. Most recently I’ve found a Rocky Championship Collection boxed set complete and in nice shape mixed in with a lot of about 15 other discs. Also picked up a sealed CBS Sampler and a 1984 RCA Systems disc. So things can certainly be found on EBay at totally random times. If your a member of the FB group CED Magic nice rarities can be picked up there at times as well. That’s how I got my White Aloha disc maybe 6 months ago. Just gotta keep looking.... keep your eyes and ears open and things will pop up for you on occasion. It’s the thrill of the hunt basically. Best of luck and Happy Hunting
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Members Beetlescott and cedatum may be able to guide you...Scott sells on eBay and cedatum may have titles occasionally but you should set up an email notification on eBay and other places, it can help.

Others here are trying to sell titles and players, but trying to sell everything as a lot isn't a good strategy due to the cost being prohibitive for most and the distance between users making shipping impractical sometimes andvery expensive.

And many members already have most of the titles or have topped off.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is best to look everywhere in the quest for the more rare titles in the CED cataloge. Like John Greve I have found them on Ebay, but also another great place to search is at Estate sales. I found a pretty rare bunch of discs at a Half Price Book Store in Louisville, KY once, for .50 cents I found "I Spit on Your Grave", as well as finding people who want to sell their collections. Other collectors who have decided to get out of the format often offer good deals on Rare titles. While it isn't as popular as it used to be, I have also found some ER titles from Craigs List. The guy just had a player and a few discs for sale, and in that "few" discs were a Aloha disc, and the 1984 preview disc. That said, I guess I'm saying don't discount any possibility!!! And good luck in your pursit!
SKT-100
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: