CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some strange findings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynx

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Some strange findings Reply with quote

For a long time, my CED player has had problems, and I have been searching for a technician in my area who could work on it. I have also been thinking of just buying another working CED player instead of having mine repaired, but I am not having much luck finding a good deal on a CED player; I can not find any players in any thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I have also looked on E Bay, and all of the CED players on there are either broken or overpriced, oftentimes both. The shipping & handling prices are also very high.

Last night, I just found a CED player for sale near me in San Diego, and I am considering it, but I am having mixed feelings about it. There are 4 pictures of the player, and it is still in the original RCA box, apparently never used. I am curious about where it has been for all of these years. I think it is one of the fancy deluxe models of CED players.

Here is a link to the advertisement, which I also noticed is listed as a laser disc player:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/ele/d/san-luis-rey-laser-disc-player-rca-sjt/6875830228.html

I understand that the player is very well preserved with the original box, accessories, and paperwork, but I am very confused about why it is so expensive. Do CED players really sell for this money? Correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought things like this are only worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay for them. There is also not much of a description of the player in the advertisement.

I wish I could buy this player, but I can not afford it. If possible, can someone direct me to a good deal on a working CED player? I have also heard that sometimes, really old electronics do not work correctly if they are unused for so many years; apparently, internal mechanical & electronic parts can go bad from sitting for so long.

On a side note, yesterday, just for fun, I decided to call RCA using the telephone number listed on this web site, just to find out if any one working for them was familiar with CED & chat about it, and I got a wrong number. Instead of reaching RCA or any of its modern-day "successors", there is a recording of a woman giving this spiel:

"Welcome to America's hottest talk line. Guys, hot ladies are waiting to talk to you. Press one now. Ladies, to talk to interesting & exciting guys free, press two to connect free now. Guys, press one now. Ladies, press two now."

The call then immediately disconnected & I hung up my telephone afterwords.

This is all really weird & confusing, so I curious about what is going on. I would appreciate any explanations, and if any one can help me out, I would be grateful. Again, thanks to every one for all of the help.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCA Corporation ceased to exist in 1986 when it was absorbed by General Electric. The trademark(s) and properties, products are licensed to several other companies that make the electronics and other consumer items from TVs to blank cassettes. The RCA Records Label is owned by Sony basically.

As such, CED players and the format ended in 1985-86.

The player you show, if in the condition they suggest (buyer beware, it's 33+ years old and subject to the same deterioration as any other electronic device with belts and moving parts of that age) is the top of the line model for that device and the last of the run. It's a stereo player and has a highly coveted multi-device remote.

If you were to buy it I would ask to have it played. Don't rely on the New In box/never played description alone. If they won't or can't, or won't accept using one of your CED discs then they aren't bargaining in good faith, walk away.

But to answer your price question, YES, it's worth that perhaps if it runs okay. As you say that's more than you are willing to pay though, so your ultimate answer was given by you, which was no.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is not out of line for that player. I guarantee it will need new belts because the old ones would have turned to goo by now. The belts are easily obtainable from CEDatum.

Whats wrong with your player?
lynx

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
The price is not out of line for that player. I guarantee it will need new belts because the old ones would have turned to goo by now. The belts are easily obtainable from CEDatum.

Whats wrong with your player?

The problem I am experiencing with my CED player is that when I use it, the picture goes bad. More specifically, there is static in the picture, and after it has been playing a disc for approximately 20 minutes, the picture will turn pink & green for a few seconds, and then it will clear up again, but then it will go bad again. It will do this same thing for the rest of the disc playback.

Regarding the static lines in the picture, I thought this problem had to do with my needle, so I sent it to John at CEDATUM in Indiana, but he told me that my needle is working fine. In an older message I posted in this forum, I was told that the colour problem has to do with the time-base corrector, and that I need to find some manuals & professional service equipment to repair it, so it is unlikely that I could repair it myself. This is the reason why I am considering just buying another CED player.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What player do you have? Usually color shifting and bad picture cutting in and out is probably a stretched turntable belt. Belt drive players take different belts. RCA belts can be purchased from CEDatum. Toshiba players which also include Wards and Elmo players require a round belt and new or modified pully. These are easily user replaceable items.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: