CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spider-Man TV pilot CED

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Video-2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Spider-Man TV pilot CED Reply with quote

I dont have a CED Player at all,I am more into Laserdiscs, but I collect CEDs that have some connections to Comics, like Disney, Shazam, Roobarb or Spider-Man.

Years ago, the Spider-Man TV Pilot CED was pretty common.
Here in Germany the film title was "Spiderman, der Spinnenmensch".
( the human Spider).

But now it seems to be pretty rare. Ive only seen CEDs in a very poor condition or with fantasy prices.

Looks like the title is now much rarer as 5 years ago, but why ?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A US NTSC copy was posted on US eBay in the last week.

OOPS, that was the cartoon version.

Search eBay for Spiderman CED and you should find that fairly easily.

It has been 33 years since the CED system started to be closed out by RCA. Titles were only produced in batches, not continuously, due to the nature of the production process.

All video formats' titles have become rarer over time due to simple attrition and abandonment. When a new format is introduced carryover is often restricted to a small portion of titles that are popular and profitable.

The only viable answer in the majority or cases is archival preservation, i.e. converting the program to a file to play later. It's impossible to make new CEDs, and also Laserdiscs as the processes were highly proprietary and difficult. There were LD-Recordables as you could call them, they were used for industrial purposes and the equipment was financially out of this world for most.

Both of these formats are gone now and no machines exist to create them. LD has been totally replaced by optically read 5.25" media like VCD, DVD and Bluray Disc, which can also be written to (burned) in PCs and other devices.

There are programs that allow one to clean up and repair damaged video to an extent, they are available to even the novice hobbyist. As for the discs themselves, once they are lost that's it.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are still out there and interested (US NTSC) here is one for US $15 and shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303104304208

They ship to GERMANY.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this isn't really on topic,but.... in the other items this seller has for sale they have a lords of the ring wrestling ced (the 74.99 one) that states sealed and it is sealed but the caddy is blue but the little carrier or whatever is white??? Were discs really sent out from the factory like that? They have another one not sealed for 34.99 (I think 34.99). I didn't look at the list here on the site but I wouldn't think it's a rare disc. Never mind on the rare part I just checked and it's listed as very rare. I have one but it's from the collection of about 500 I bought that after purchasing they seemed to be pulled out of a gravel pit. Mine does look pretty good on the outside though. I don't remember now if it's got the markings of an ex-rental. Alot of those discs were ex-rentals and were really filthy,inside and out. I've got about 50 I haven't thrown out that I may be interested in watching but I haven't checked them yet.
Anyway, did they sell blue caddies with a white retainer 9or whatever it's called)? I see the other one also has a white carrier?? I didn't notice if mine has a white one or not??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, towards the end RCA became less picky about packaging and just used whatever they had. It's not at all unusual to find a blue cover with a white tray. Some late stereo titles were issued with blue/blue and white/white covers and trays.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still available too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: