CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mash Disc

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Mash Disc Reply with quote

After watching M*A*S*H and compareing it to a letter box laserdisc version, I noticed that on the CED, they have to move the Telecine lense because the film is shot in panavision. If you notice in the scene when Halkeye is walking agianst the wall of the Officers Latrein, they move the film over so that you can see the Magather Quotes. In the letterbox format you can see both the titles and Hawlkeye. how do they do that, and why didnt CED's have a letterbox option?
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pan & scan was standard for TV and home video in the early years, I don't know who thought of it, or when the concept of letterboxing came up. Letterboxing has always been controversial because some people don't like "the black bars", thankfully they've finally decided to tell those people to go to hell. Smile It's kind of fun to watch old video transfers and see how bad the pan & scan is on some of them though, on "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" at the beginning you can see the picture cut and pan from one side to the other several times just so you can read all the opening credits. I haven't checked the CED of "Deliverance", but I have the old Discovision laserdisc and during the credits at the very end the picture moves gradually to the right so you can read all the text. Some movies just squeezed the picture so all the text would fit on the screen, like that didn't look at all funny but a letterboxed picture did!

The first 2.35 movie I remember being letterboxed on home video was "Manhattan", which had gray bars instead of black.
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that Manhatten on Laserdisc?? I would like to get a copy of that on ebay if it was on LD.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- It was letterboxed with gray bars on all video formats when it first came out, I even saw it once on broadcast TV that way. I think the laserdisc was later reissued with black bars (which is much more preferable) as well as on DVD. I don't think a pan & scan transfer was ever done of this movie, since Woody Allen insisted it be shown properly. If only all directors felt the same way- though Steven Speilberg has always been a big proponent of letterboxing, most of his movies on DVD have also been released in separate pan & scan versions. I thought it was hilarious that they did a "fool screen" version of "Schindler's List" on DVD- since that was shot in black & white they might as well colorized it too, and also made it shorter and made it less depressing Smile
owenatverrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would this be the version with grey bars? http://cgi.ebay.com/MANHATTAN-Laserdisc-LD-LBX-Woody-Allen_W0QQitemZ130049248624QQihZ003QQcategoryZ381QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- the letterboxing is explained in that block of text at the bottom of the front cover, as it also was on the VHS and Beta tapes. The first letterboxed movie I remember seeing on VHS was "The Color Purple", which was done that way on the insistence of Steven Speilberg.
mandfmangham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mash Disc Reply with quote

owenatverrs wrote:
After watching M*A*S*H and compareing it to a letter box laserdisc version, I noticed that on the CED, they have to move the Telecine lense because the film is shot in panavision. If you notice in the scene when Halkeye is walking agianst the wall of the Officers Latrein, they move the film over so that you can see the Magather Quotes. In the letterbox format you can see both the titles and Hawlkeye. how do they do that, and why didnt CED's have a letterbox option?

Hi I think that CED was the first format tht released letter box format
for the home, if I am not mistaken that title is Amacord ( I hope that is spelt correctly) I personally don't have a copy.
This movie would have been captioned of a 35mm print and the recording device or the image would have to be moved and not the film, this can also be seen in some titles where the frame appears "cropped".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: