CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED stylus cartridges - Buyers caution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: CED stylus cartridges - Buyers caution Reply with quote

CEDatum is receiving stylus carts for repair from some very unhappy CED collectors who purchased carts from on-line sources including E-Bay. In all cases the sale lists the cart as NEW, BRAND NEW, UNUSED , in SEALED BOX etc. RCA's last stylus production was in the mid 1980's so any cart available right now is at least 33 years old and mature vintage. Stylus carts can degrade with time and storage. The usual problem is a weak or broken fly lead - so the cart cannot track the disc. Our caution to you is - never buy a stylus cart that is advertised for sale AS-IS,
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Don. I saw them on ebay and I would never buy a stylus off ebay because I knew exactly this. I'm curious if anyone was able to get their money back since the cart was advertised as new, which would mean working, and when they received it, it was not working.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John at cedatum told me he bought a box of 100 new sealed cartridges and I think he said only 2 of them worked but he was expecting it. For the ebay sales I don't know how it works if they say new unopened but then say as is no returns. I bought a new one off there but they had a funny title for it and I think I paid $15 or something and the fly lead was gone, I think it's the fly lead? the little copper looking strip, just sort of disintegrated, but I was expecting that. Years ago I was on a tractor forum and someone posted a link to ebay where someone paid $99 for a tractor manual that was on a cd and then they posted about 10 links where you can download the manual for free. It was an old manual from a company long gone so it wasn't any copyright worries so everyone wondered why would someone pay $99 for it???
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back many years ago, I bought my stock of RCA 154216 styluses from Pacific Electronics (I think this was the place) in California. I bought them one or two every 3 to 6 months in order to get an inventory. I currently have 4 styluses that I have marked as "Good" and 3 that are marked as "Bad". Eventually, I will send the 'Bad" styluses to CEDatum for cleaning, grading and/or rebuilding.

The only styluses that I buy off E-bay are the ones for the Hitachi chassis players. I have 9 of those styluses. Of those 9, 3 are in generic boxes, 2 are in generic Hitachi boxes labeled part # 46-33276-3 and 46-33223-3. I have one stylus in a Radio Shack box with part # CT-0313. I have 2 styluses in Hitachi boxes labeled: CTG-100 and CTG-200. The last stylus is my most recent purchase. I bought it from a person in England who claimed that he/she had it retipped in the USA. After being returned to England, the stylus was never used Its price was a little high ($60 + $40 shipping); but, it was worth it as the Hitachi styluses are getting harder and harder to find.

I plan on sending the 9 Hitachi styluses to Cedatum for cleaning and grading in time.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that Pacific Stereo?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Was that Pacific Stereo?

I couldn't tell you. I only remember that Pacific was part of the business's name. They did have a web site which is how I found the styluses.

After I had bought 7 RCA styluses, I stopped buying. I only have one working RCA player (SJT-200) so i figured that 7 styluses would be enough for a long time.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have some bad news for you dumbchemist, John no longer has the parts available to rebuild Hitachi model styli. He can only do RCA ones and he said his supplies for those are starting to run low too. I'm going to work with him before or after the next workshop and learn more about it to see if I can come up with a way to keep rebuilding them or even start making new ones.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
I'm afraid I have some bad news for you dumbchemist, John no longer has the parts available to rebuild Hitachi model styli. He can only do RCA ones and he said his supplies for those are starting to run low too. I'm going to work with him before or after the next workshop and learn more about it to see if I can come up with a way to keep rebuilding them or even start making new ones.

I have known that CEDatum did not service the Hitachi styluses for some time now. I only want to know if the 9 styluses that I have are still good. (Hopefully, all are good.) and to weed out the bad ones.

I have read on this forum a suggestion that those that may need a stylus should buy a used player and steal the stylus from it. This may work except you will have to figure out what to do with the spare player (paper weight, boat anchor.....).

I bought a Radio Shack player off E-bay that lacked the stylus once. The seller tried a spare stylus he had in the player and he said it worked very well. At that time, I had 8 Hitachi styluses so I bought the player and installed one of my styluses in it. The player worked very well so I left the stylus in it. I then bought 2 more styluses off 2 E-bay sellers and increased my Hitachi stylus inventory to 9.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: