CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA SGT 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theseeker77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: RCA SGT 101 Reply with quote

Hello All,

I purchased a RCA SGT 101 from someone locally for $20 and he said it worked last time he used it a few years back. When I got it home and plugged it in I immediately noticed the display was not working. I tried loading a disk to see what happens, and to my surprise the platter rises and spins perfectly. No weird noises or wobbles at all. Pushing the pause, fast-forward, and rewind buttons have no effect. I do not notice the arm advancing at all, not even a little bit at a time. Would the arm not engage if there is something wrong with the display read out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance! Smile
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a cartridge in it and is the cartridge tested as being good? you can look for my numerous other posts commenting on cartridges.
theseeker77

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
Is there a cartridge in it and is the cartridge tested as being good? you can look for my numerous other posts commenting on cartridges.

Thanks so much for the reply! If you are talking about the stylus cartridge, then yes it is there. So if the stylus is bad, would it not even attempt to play the disk? The arm doesn't even move. The only movement is the platter raising into position and the disk spinning.

Also curious if the fact that the front display that usually shows the "L" status or other status' is completely off, like it is not getting power. Pushing any of the buttons gets no response either.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 200 sitting here somewhere that I was preparing to sell. I'll start that up and monkey with it to see what all it does /doesn't do upon loading a disc moving levers/ pressing buttons etc. That may take a few days.
theseeker77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that!

jsdspif wrote:
I've got a 200 sitting here somewhere that I was preparing to sell. I'll start that up and monkey with it to see what all it does /doesn't do upon loading a disc moving levers/ pressing buttons etc. That may take a few days.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my sgt200 (which is basically the same except it's stereo so it has an extra circuit board in it ) when I switch the lever to the load position The L flashes on the display, insert the disc and the side indicator illuminates and L flashes switch to play and the platter raises and spins and listening very carefully you can barely hear what I think is the cartridge arm motor (may have that name wrong) run for about 1 to 2 seconds and then the disc plays. During that time display switches to 0 and after one minute of playing the display switches to 1. During all that time I didn't see the cartridge arm move. With no cartridge in it display still shows L but upon attempting to play it I did not hear the small motor run for the 1 to 2 seconds and the display shows -- (2 horizontal lines).
I would suggest getting a service manual for it or the 100 or the 200 , I thought somewhere on this site some service manuals were available but I can't locate them, and just read thru that and it has sections for troubleshooting and there is probably something in there about display not operating, although I haven't figured out if your display is actually never lighting up. When I hear a better description of what your's does after loading a disc and switching the lever to play I can study it some more.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like your cams are out of alignment. The light switch has a bar that connects to it and on that bar there are round cams that can be adjusted. As you turn the light switch it rotates the cams and triggers switches that activate functions. So it sounds like the cams are not properly aligned and hitting the switches as they should. It's a complicated process to adjust them but Tony has just posted instructions on youtube. Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: