CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Realistic CED-1 issue any advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheIceberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Realistic CED-1 issue any advice? Reply with quote

So this is my first post, but been reading the forum for longer than ive been registered. My CED-1 player has been working just fine, a lot of my movies have been rentals in the past and have skipping issues but they all play through with no problems. Recently i transported my ced player from my house to a friends house and when i carried it i did so on its side(!). I think in doing so it put something out alignment. Now when playing any movie(i even tried an NOS movie too) it will skip forward during play. So not skipping like repeating like the usual symptom of ceds but actually skipping 5,10, sometimes 20+ minutes into the movie. Any suggestions on what I should check for or any possible fix for this?

Heres a link to a short video of its playback:

https://youtu.be/T1ywN503xs0

Thanks!
Isaac
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried another stylus? The skipping maybe an indication that your old stylus is getting to the end of its life. IMHO, the start of skipping and your moving the player are a coincidence. I have a CED-1 player and have moved it around and have had no skipping when playing a disc.

The other thing that you could do is send the stylus to cedatum.com and have them clean the stylus tip and make any adjustments. They can then give you a grade (A, B, C, etc) for the stylus. Unfortunately, they cannot replace the stylus tip or rebuild the stylus as they lack parts. Go to their web site for further details.

The CED-1 I have works; but, it has a problem with a worm gear in the mechanism that advances the stylus as it crosses the disc. The worm gear appears to be wearing out and makes a loud noise as it rapidly advances the stylus to the start of the disc or moves the stylus back to the rest position. In between, it is quiet.

I have 5 players that use the Hitachi chassis. Of the 5, the Hitachi VIP-1000 seems to be the best built. The next ones are the 2 Sears players. The CED-1 is the low man on the totem pole IMO.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
TheIceberg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No i haven't tried a new stylus ill have to be on the lookout for one I understand that they are uncommon to say the least. And I thought cedatum does not repair or deal with the hitachi stylus anymore? Thanks for your input on this i appreciate it!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheIceberg wrote:
No i haven't tried a new stylus ill have to be on the lookout for one I understand that they are uncommon to say the least. And I thought cedatum does not repair or deal with the hitachi stylus anymore? Thanks for your input on this i appreciate it!

Granted the styluses for Hitachi chassis players are hard to find. I have to monitor E-bay everyday n order to catch any that may "pop" up. I bought a stylus from Sears for my 934.54780150 player in 1987 and paid $90 for it (talk about sticker shock).

ceddatum.com posted on this forum that they can only clean and grade the Hitachi styluses and cannot rebuild them. This is the last I knew unless they have changed their mind about it.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: