CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest CED player project…
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick, when you get a chance, could you take some more pictures of your player? I'm intrigued. Tell me how you went about it, did you sand it? I'm sure you must of, it looks factory clean!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my message copied from the LD forum, where I posted it right after the work was done. The message goes into how I got it to look like a factory finish:

Here's my recently finished and restored CED player SKT 400 that came to me in a mess. The front face was split loose from the body and had pieces cracked off. Turntable had slid to the bottom of the stem, stylus arm had rolled back and forth breaking some gears, no shipping screws in place. After I got a partial refund for the damages, the player cost me $25 plus shipping. With the help of a useless SJT parts player, and epoxy and patience, it's now working like new. Got the remote too.

Because of cracks in the case that were visible, I ended up painting it black to match the LD players and other stuff. I used Krylon plastic primer, and then burnished that finish with fine steel wool for a smooth surface, cleaned it well to get off the dust, then Krylon black gloss plastic spray paint. First coat very light, again burnished. Finish coat a bit heavy to get the full gloss effect without spray-over or spray edge effect. Had to be done over several days, as to do this without runs means painting each surface facing up then letting it dry.

Let it dry in warm sunlight for a few days, and now it looks like a factory finish. Testing it out with Endangered Species.

I forgot to mention that the surface must be well-cleaned first to remove any oils or residues it may have from normal use. You don't really need to do any sanding, just a real good cleaning.

If any of you here have painted a car, you know what I mean by spraying a little heavier to get the gloss effect with no spray-over or spray-edge. That's the effect of the egde of the paint spray cone where it lightly mists the surface and ruins the gloss effect. It takes a lot of practice to not get this effect and to not get a run or drip at the same time!
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, first off a big apology to Rixrex i told him id post this sometime ago and just got caught up with some nonsense here.
Sometime ago RJ posted pics of his project which was the conversion of a Zenith player, well i am happy to say I'm the proud owner of that player and have included some shots below of the unit in my man-cave working like a champ. The unit is running to my 42" LCD tv with no issues, the picture is amazing compared to my other units; the audio is running to my stereo receiver with no lag or pop or even a hiss. I moved the cables to the front so you could see the connections run, and popped in a nice stereo copy of Metalstorm as a preview. I have never posted a video before but will try o get one to YouTube here shortly.
Big thanks to RJ.. Peace
Harry
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64856674/photo%281%29.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64856674/photo%282%29.JPG
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64856674/photo.JPG[/url]
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try just putting in the Images....DOH
[img]
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64856674/photo%281%29.JPG[/img]

[/img]
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="L8gr8harry"]Lets try just putting in the Images....DOH

there you go.

sweet deal i forgot about the conversion of this player, certainly the only one of its kind Wink
Spiro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L8gr8harry wrote:

A SNES next to an Atari Jaguar! Very Happy
And is that perhaps the Alien v Predator cart I see sticking out of that Jag?

sorry for going off-topic.
Carry on gents...
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sharp, Harry, thanks for posting that. What a nest of stuff you have on that rack! Spooky looking...TV on top, wow.

I hope it's a temporary home and something sturdier of more substantial will take it's place, right?

Let me tell you what I've done. Located a broken Mitsubishi 52" RP TV from 1990, the kind made of solid wood with the doors that close over the screen. They are real cheap now because nobody wants them.

Took the cabinet to make a TV center out of it with shelves/platforms for devices. You can fit a pretty big modern TV in one and have a couple of shelves underneath for devices and even set some on the top. It's on wheels, and can roll anywhere. Plus I can still close the doors when not in use. A nice vintage look.

If you want something for a bigger TV, use a TV cabinet from a 60" to 65" RP TV, but they usually don't have doors and are black, not wood finish. Butthe thing about these old RP TV cabinets is that they are sturdy because they were heavy internally and have strong wheels. You just have to feel okay about junking the insides.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use empty 1950s cabinets with the twin doors and ornate veneers for one stereo cabinet and the other as a pedestal for CRT projectors.

I could've had a GE cabinet cheap Friday but didn't feel like repairing the big swatch of torn off veneer.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way if that's just an LCD DTV it's likely attached to the wall, not balanced on the speakers and it's about the weight of an average 'tame' classic boombox.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blindfury420 wrote:
ketonic_dude wrote:
Also Ryan has been working on something similar but I think it was just for stereo audio, correct me if i'm wrong blind_fury.

It is only for mono players with no component plugs out. Works a treat!

ketonic_dude wrote:

I was telling the guys at the workshop that it would be great to be able to come out there just to see your museum and all the neat stuff you have.

I would love to see his full collection! I have seen some of it on Wake up Oregon!

ketonic_dude wrote:

Any other treasures like that VP4000 that you haven't shared with us yet? I have also been meaning to ask you about a remote for the sears player. I don't recall if I've already asked or not but I was just wondering if you know if Sears ever made a remote for the sears players.

Two great questions that I would like to hear answered to Josh haha!

kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I answered this on the other post (the Boise CL players) so I'm going to bed now. Sheesh Embarassed
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Zenith VP4000 Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
cedmagic wrote:
The VP4000 came from a former Zenith employee who got it new in 1983. This model may have only been available to those who had inside knowledge that Zenith had ordered a small production run.

--Tom Howe

thats awesome, i hope there are a few more floating around somewhere to be uncovered!

Yep, I found them. lol
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is such a good topic... ahh memories
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: