CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HITACHI OWNERS! You may really want this!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
Now that I have the adapter, I figured it was time to test it out. I looked at my player inventory and realized that that is not going to be easy. I have 5 players. 3 have stereo builtin and the adapter would not work on them (SJT-200,. SJT-400, Sears 934.54810350). The 2 other players have issues. One is a Sears 934.54780150 and needs lubrication (hence my post on this forum). The other player is a Realistic CED-1 that needs troubleshooting: the stylus will not move over to the start position when a disc is inserted (I replaced both belts with ones from Tom).

Of the last 2, I think I will be able to get the Sears player working the soonest. I will have more later.
````````````````````````````````````````````

QUESTION: Do you have evidence, audible or visible that the motor for the arm is working, and do you see gunked up grease or broken cogs or pulleys in that drive path?

ANOTHER QUESTION: Is the motor getting any voltage to it?

You should be able to isolate that with a voltmeter/multimeter if you cannot see or hear the motor operating. If you have voltage in that circuit, the motor would be suspect.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:
Now that I have the adapter, I figured it was time to test it out. I looked at my player inventory and realized that that is not going to be easy. I have 5 players. 3 have stereo builtin and the adapter would not work on them (SJT-200,. SJT-400, Sears 934.54810350). The 2 other players have issues. One is a Sears 934.54780150 and needs lubrication (hence my post on this forum). The other player is a Realistic CED-1 that needs troubleshooting: the stylus will not move over to the start position when a disc is inserted (I replaced both belts with ones from Tom).

Of the last 2, I think I will be able to get the Sears player working the soonest. I will have more later.
````````````````````````````````````````````

QUESTION: Do you have evidence, audible or visible that the motor for the arm is working, and do you see gunked up grease or broken cogs or pulleys in that drive path?

ANOTHER QUESTION: Is the motor getting any voltage to it?

You should be able to isolate that with a voltmeter/multimeter if you cannot see or hear the motor operating. If you have voltage in that circuit, the motor would be suspect.

In resp0nse to your questions: I take it that both questions are about the Sears player? The following is about the Realistic player:

I removed the top of the player. I then plugged the player in and inserted a CED. The player behaved normally and started to play the disc. I watched the stylus arm and it did advance albeit slowly. I then wanted to see if there was any video and audio. I hooked up a 50 ft. A/V cable to my AVR and the player. I then changed the AVR to the video 3 input and was greeted with a buzz on the audio and no video. Since this was the first time I tried the cable, I had suspicions that the cable may be bad. This is where I stopped. I am going to have to move the player over to the AVR and use a shorter good A/V cable. More later.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try the coaxial connector? You want to try all your potential outputs and if you have problems in the coaxial output then you can probably start to suspect internal problems.

Hum is a grounding problem, it can also happen when no audio is being sent to the inputs on your stereo or video device's audio section.

So yes, change out your AV cable or make sure you have the right plugs in the right spots (yellow VIDEO and white AUDIO can get confused sometimes, and audio cords often use BLACK and RED for left and right). If you get those correct and can move the cord for intermittent signals then you have a cracked wire. If you do get mono audio and video from the coax and not a new, known good cable then you have to suspect an internal problem.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the player did work for a short time. I moved it over to the AVR and used a 4.5 ft. A/V cable. I inserted my test disc (Duran Duran) and the player started playing. The video was shaky in a few spots and the audio was good. Now, I installed the stereo adapter which required that I shut the player off. I then inserted the CED and the player refused to play. The stylus carriage moved to the rest position and the small motor that controls this would not stop running. I tried inserting the disc a number of times and the carriage would not move over to play the disc and the disc would not spin up either. I am afraid this player has many more issues that I can not fix. I will continue to tinker with it if I come up with any ideas.

It looks like the 50 ft. A/V cable has a short in it. I think it maybe too late to return it so I will have to eat the cost.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the player " works " but once you plug the stereo adapter in, its functionality is reduced?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
so the player " works " but once you plug the stereo adapter in, its functionality is reduced?

No, the player still acts the same whether the stereo adapter is hooked up or not. I will have to check my copy of "The Complete Guide to Laser/Videodisc Player Troubleshooting and Repair" for any clues. The Guide does not cover the mechanics of the players alot so you have to do some divining and reading between the lines to find out anything. The Guide is mainly concerned with player electronics.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:

No, the player still acts the same whether the stereo adapter is hooked up or not. I will have to check my copy of "The Complete Guide to Laser/Videodisc Player Troubleshooting and Repair" for any clues. The Guide does not cover the mechanics of the players alot so you have to do some divining and reading between the lines to find out anything. The Guide is mainly concerned with player electronics.

i am starting to notice a pattern with these hitachi players, and they all seem to fail similarly... finding this fault could save a lot of players. i know it will save a few of mine...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found out that the 2 belts in the player had come off their pulleys. Now I have the extreme pleasure (?) in attempting to get the belts back into place. The one belt that raises the disc was not too bad. The one that moves the stylus carriage is the one I hate. I might have some luck if I could find my dental picks. One of them could make the job easier.

More later.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't get at it from the bottom by moving a board?

Hitachi stuff of that vintage can look pretty arcane...on the other hand it could be simpler than Pioneers.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
You can't get at it from the bottom by moving a board?

Hitachi stuff of that vintage can look pretty arcane...on the other hand it could be simpler than Pioneers.

I am not sure what board you are talking about. After you remove the player's cover, there is a circuit board that greets you. You take out 2 screws nearest you and then the board lifts at the front to put the board in the service position (nearly vertical with the hinges at the rear). The belt to raise the disc is visible on the bottom lower right and can be gotten at very easily. The belt and pulleys for the stylus carriage are at the left toward the rear of the player. Both pulleys and the belt are covered up by a metal shroud making belt replacement difficult at best. I have tried tweezers in the past with medium success.

I have found replacing the belt on the SJT players extremely easy. The hard part is cleaning up the old disintegrated belt.

I will try again tomorrow to replace the carriage belt. I am too tired right now.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was I, took a nap for a lot of the evening and awoke to find I left the computer on.

At least we get that hour of sleep we were robbed of back tonight...the UK and Europe did last week.

It never mattered when you had to get cows ready for milking, Bossy doesn't care about clocks and she is your business Smile
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have to replace the toothed belt? i have had good luck with those, although i do keep a spare handy. i really want to try to know more about this type of player, but so many people have regular j/k models a lot of my efforts have been focused there...
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
do you have to replace the toothed belt? i have had good luck with those, although i do keep a spare handy. i really want to try to know more about this type of player, but so many people have regular j/k models a lot of my efforts have been focused there...

If you are talking about a toothed belt for the turntable, the original is working okay.

I am still tinkering with the CED-1 player. I cannot seem to get it to accept a disc and start up. Is there any documentation on setting the player to a default setup? I have moved some gears and pulleys into non-original position and need to know what the original places should be.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my player that uses a stereo adapter is a montgomery ward. I'm wondering though if the adpaters wouldn't be interchangeable. My player did come with the wired remote control, too bad it didn't come with the stereo adapter also.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
my player that uses a stereo adapter is a montgomery ward. I'm wondering though if the adpaters wouldn't be interchangeable. My player did come with the wired remote control, too bad it didn't come with the stereo adapter also.

That remote control is one I do not have. I have wired remotes for the Hitachi, Radio Shack and the Sanyo players. If you take the label off them, you could not tell the difference between the Radio Shack and the Hitachi remotes.

If your player is a Wards Gen10301 then it uses the Toshiba DSA100 stereo adapter. The adapter I have is an Hitachi STA300. I have never seen the DSA100 stereo adapter. (Maybe in another life) Somehow, I don't believe that the 2 adapters are interchangeable.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:

If you are talking about a toothed belt for the turntable, the original is working okay.

I am still tinkering with the CED-1 player. I cannot seem to get it to accept a disc and start up. Is there any documentation on setting the player to a default setup? I have moved some gears and pulleys into non-original position and need to know what the original places should be.

the turntable should be direct drive, the stylus tracking arm is the one driven by the toothed belt
TGM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
The Adapter is small (1 3/8" X 3.5" X 7 1/8"). One end is labeled: Hitachi Video Disc Stereo Adapter STA300. Below the previous lettering is a square with the words Noise Reduction System in it. Below that lettering is a slide switch. The top position is Main, the middle position is Stereo and the bottom position is Sub. The other end has 2 RCA connectors with one labeled L and the other labeled R (who would have guessed). Under the 2 connectors is a cord coming out of the Adapter with a DIN plug. Above the cord is labeled: Connect To The Accessory Outlet on Your Player. On the bottom of the Adapter are 2 numbers. One is a label with the numbers 000905 on it. The other numbers are scratched into the paint and are: 713831642. What those 2 numbers mean is beyond my knowledge. There are 6 screws holding the Adapter together. 2 of the screws are on the top and the other 4 are on the bottom. I unscrewed all 6 and I could not get the box apart. It seems that there are 2 rubber pads on the bottom of the Adapter which are glued down very well. The 2 pads will have to come off if I am to get a look inside.

Did you ever end up positing any photos of the case and/or boards? I want to try to reverse engineer it and make my own open source version.

SJT-100 (not working Sad)
Sears 934.54780150/CED-1 Frankenstein
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: