CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW DO I FIX THIS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:18 pm    Post subject: HOW DO I FIX THIS? Reply with quote

Hello all, I am completely new to this online forum thing. I have been having trouble figuring out how to fix my CED player. I have the stf100 and the disc spins like it should but the arm does not move when put into the play position. I noticed the motor that should drive the arm dosnt move either. I dont know if I need a new motor or is it a circuit board issue? I dont know if this helps but the number on the front of the player stays at 18, Im not sure what that means. Thanks
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a known to be good cartridge, I'd start by sending your cartridge to cedatum and they will clean and inspect it for free, and if there is a problem with it they will let you know what it needs and how much it will cost. In the service manuals for all of the players almost all testing procedures start with something like "before attempting any repair, insert a known good stylus cartridge and test player for operation". Probably not the answer you want to hear but pretty much the most important part of proper operation is a good cartridge. Without a good one you'll get either not working at all (besides the disc spinning) or not working properly.
kyle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! I will look into sending in my cartridge
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at this point sending the stylus in is pointless. if the arm doesnt even move into position in the first place to set down the stylus than that is putting the reigns before the horse... you need to figure out why the arm isnt moving forward. i woud check to see when you put it in play if the motor gets any voltage. or check the motor in ohms to see if it has a bad winding. dont waste money getting a stylus checked until you know the player works.
i cant for the life of me figure out why everyone always blames the stylus in the case of a player not functioning mechanically...
kyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. I sent in the styles to get cleaned and inspected and it only cost me $10 with shipping, I figured it wasn't a bad idea to be sure the styles was good. when I get it back I will test to see if the motor is working properly. Thank you again !
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sft100 apart right now but other than seeing that it spins a disc is all I've done with it and it is not fully assembled at this time so I can't run it to watch/check it's operation. In my manual though it states something like "when disc is inserted and caddy is removed begin play by moving lever to play position.After a delay of aprox. 6 seconds to allow turntable to reach 450 rpm, the computer instructs the stylus to be lowered on to the disc".
That makes it sound as though the cartridge arm doesn't begin to move until the stylus starts reading some sort of information from the disc??? That is where I would like to watch the actions of my 100 player to see if that's the case.
I'll try to get my player going and watch it's operation, but in the meantime maybe the OP will get the cartridge, visually inspect the disc they are trying to play (just to make sure the disc isn't damaged) and then attempt to play the disc again.
I do understand though the stylus gets blamed for all the problems (just about all) but that's just the way it is. So much depends on the stylus working properly.
Years ago we got a cnc mill in our machine shop. The computer at the time ran at 8 Mhz operating speed I guess you call it ??? Like 1980 or so. Anyway the computer portion of the mill wasn't really dependable and when it would quit working the repairman always blamed a certain circuit board and he'd replace it and the machine would work again. There was even a running joke about it among people that had the machine "oh it quit working? Need to replace that circuit board". But that just happened to be one of the "quirky" features of that machine, that that board was prone to failure and replacing it was the fix.
Kind of like the stylus, somewhat prone for failure along with being so fragile etc...
Hopefully the OP can give the cartridge another try and we can go from there.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:

That makes it sound as though the cartridge arm doesn't begin to move until the stylus starts reading some sort of information from the disc???

you know what that is a good point. i am thinking of the j/k style players that have to move the arm over the disc. on the f/g light switch models, the arm is always reset to the home position so that way when the next side or disc is entered all the stylus has to do is drop. now having said that, once the stylus is dropped it picks up a time code and bumps the arm forward from there to keep up with the time code. if the stylus isnt dropped onto the disc the lifter coil is the issue. the coil is a part of the stylus tracking arm.
typically this action of the stylus being dropped can make a faint click sound. if it doesnt make the click then the stylus isnt dropping. if it does then the stylus is indeed to blame. im not sure what made me think of a j/k model instead of an f/g my apologies...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: