CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sgt250 nothing out of rca jacks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: sgt250 nothing out of rca jacks Reply with quote

I thought I saw a topic about this a while back. I have audio and video out of the coax but not out of the rca jacks. I then swap the stereo boards between a working player with working rca jacks and the problem follows the stereo board (so the player that did have no a/v/ out of the rca jacks now has it and the player that did have it now no longer does) so I'm sure it's a problem on the stereo board. I've done voltage comparisons of the 6 ic's on the boards and they all match pretty close except for U4401. On the working player there are a few "legs" of the chip that match the schematic and are about .5 volts lower than the non working player. Such as one leg on working is 1 volt and on non working it's 1.5, there is actually 4 legs of that one that follow that scenario, working player legs are about a volt and non working is 1.5. That's the audio portion. The video portion looks to pretty much go from the input of video to the stereo board(which I knjow I get video at that point) and then just goes to a few components to the rca jack. There is one transistor there and it has voltages matching the schematic and working board.
I'm thinking of just sending it to cedatum , he told me they have a test fixture for the boards and I'm kind of stumped. I thought maybe for some reason the jacks were faulty but they test out good.
as I said I thought there was a topic a while back that discussed the output at the coax but no a/v from the rca jacks??
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quick semi-update on this. For some reason, as I was waking up this morning, a thought was in my head, maybe the small tv I use for my ced testing purposes needs a video input to allow the audio input to work. So I connected the tv's video and audio inputs to the working players audio video rca outputs and everything worked as it should. I then unplugged the video input and the audio stopped. So my little "testing" tv needs a video input to have audio output (that's just about "clear as mud"). I'm guessing now my player I thought had no video or audio output, probably does have audio output but not video. I have the stereo board removed from the player at this time so I can't re-test at the moment.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the solder points where the positive terminal of the rca jacks connect to the board are cracked. I noticed messing with the cable at the rca jack/plug I could get the video to flicker. I needed pretty strong magnification to see the break in the solder. One of the audio jacks is also looking as though it will break soon. I'm going to re-solder all of them. I checked the pins that all the jumper plugs (?) plug onto and they all look ok. They don't get the abuse that the rca jacks get. I did run into another problem. I put a new turntable belt on (from cedatum) and the turntable will only spin about 440 rpm and that throws the color off. I then put the old belt back on and it spins at 450 rpm and operates properly. I've done the swap on this player 3 or 4 times going from new belt back to old belt and same thing every time. At least after I re-solder the rca jacks I think my video will be restored and I shouldn't encounter audio problems related to the rca jacks for quite some time.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the belt but the motor is getting weak and can not take the extra tension from the new belt.
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: F/G player turntable belts. Reply with quote

I agree with cbertra2, a new unstretched belt requires good torque to move it. Try the following on the turntable motor. Oil the motor shafts top and bottom with fine oil - sewing machine oil is a fine grade. Also add oil to the top and bottom reservoirs on the motor body.
Note: remember that CED turntable rotation uses a '2 speed system'.
1/ The turntable motor and belt spin the turntable to approximately 450 RPM. 2/ The rotation has then to be synchronized to the 60Hz power line frequency. This is done by two magnetic poles of the motor plate which drive a 16 pole magnetic ring inside the turntable pulley flange. A stable picture with color is only obtained when the turntable is at 450 RPM and synchronized. There is a screw on the motor plate ' Speed adjustment ' that can be adjusted if turntable sync is intermittent. Using a CED strobe disc aids this adjustment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: