CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What player is considered the most reliable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenithvp-2000

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: What player is considered the most reliable? Reply with quote

I was wondering what player holds up the best over time? I have two players(SGT-250 and SJT-400) that have developed the same issue. The audio video jacks on both players no longer work. However, both players work fine when hooked with RF. The SGT-250 does have one other issue that the SJT-400 doesn't have, the stereo light no longer works. I was thinking about replacing the SGT-250 with a SGT-200, but I wanted to see what everyone's opinions were on the most reliable player first, and take it from there.

Thanks.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an issue on one of the boards, it can be fixed okay, and remember that your models were manufactured ~34 years ago. Switching to a 200 doesn't guarantee that it's any more reliable than others, it just has fewer features.

There are 2 or 3 threads on this problem recently posted and you can find them pretty easily. The format was ended in the mid 80s and you get what you get and fix it, basically

Please read some threads on it and see what you want to do.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is one from this month that is still in the directory without searching:

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2741

And you asked the same questions in March here:

http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2725

Remember, you don't have to repost a thread, simply post to the one you started with either BUMP or a message that you haven't had any help or solved the problem yet.

And we're sorry if your question might have been overlooked, There is also a Facebook page for this group if you go there, I don't, and I've been doing some massive spring cleaning, repairing my computers and installing a lot of nice stereo gear etc around here, sometimes I don't get around to the forum every day and see everything. I'm also a member.

In case you are not aware, the PM button is disabled for anti-spam reasons. If a member has enabled it, the email button will appear in their posts and all email sent here goes to the recipient via the owners account (tom@cedmagic.com). We don't have many spams on the forum itself but once you're comfortable replying to the member outside the boards or vice versa you can do that. Some members have links to their email or website. The reason for that is that you can return the message to Tom and make a complaint if needed and let him handle it directly and you can always email him at that address with problems. I wish that the PM button could just be hidden or removed and that an FAQ could be stickied on the directory to explain this, I'm getting pretty good 'splaining Laughing
cbertra2

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Toshiba brand of palyers tend to be very robust and reliable. This includes Montgomery Wards and Elmo players Which were manufactured by Toshiba.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I find the J/K models to be the best, particularly the SJT-400. It seems to offer the best picture, it has a stylus cleaner on the stylus arm and will clean automatically if it gets to dirty. It also seems to play over skips the best, as in less skips when played through the J400 vs. any other machine. Not sure why, I think I heard there is some kind of technological thing, sort of like the anti-skip technology of a CD player. Which is nice. Additionally they are one of only two players that you can use random access with. They are also very easy to maintain and work on compared to most of the other players. They are by far my favorite player.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: