CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Long Have You Been Here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: How Long Have You Been Here? Reply with quote

It was just before this time of year in 2010 when I first started posting on this site! Back then there were very few posters on here, Jesse, Rick and Dean were about all that were active then. So I got to wondering about everyone else. How long have you been an active member of CEDmagic? I lurked on here for a while before I ever joined, but only active since late 2010.
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I stumped everyone? Smile
SKT-100
Gunner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: How long Reply with quote

I have been a collector for years but only became a member here in 2012. Great Hobby!
jeff7624

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lurked here for a little over a year and have been a member for a little under a year. Still new to the whole CED hobby but thoroughly enjoying it and the community here!
CEDvince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since 2012
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
stdjsb25

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a CED enthusiast since 2000, but it took me almost 15 years to get one. Right now I own an SFT-100 plus about 100 titles on CED. I've got my stylus out to CEDatum for cleaning/repair.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been a member of this forum since Oct. 2011. My interest in CED's goes back to 1983 when I bought my first player, a Sears 934.54780150 at a Sears store in Binghamton, NY. Previous to that, I rented VCR's and tapes. I wanted to buy tapes; but, the price was too high (~80.00 each). The CED's were $19.95 each which made their purchase more palatable. I currently have 170 CED's in my collection. Only about 1530 left to get (lol).
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

80 dollars for a vhs? wooooooow
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:

I remember when I first got into this in 1982, you could get a VHS of Star Wars for 89,95. At that time, RCA was pushing Star Wars. As I have told in some other posts, The day I bought my first player, I wasn't thinking about it, at all. I went to an RCA store, where they renewed license tags in the corner of the store. I was in line to get my tags renewed, and just happened to glance over and see a tall cardboard cardboard cut out of Star Wars. and the slogan, MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU......TONIGHT. I had never heard of a CED player, or CEDs, and, do be honest, even after I took my player home I was sure there must be some kind of ultra thin tapes inside of these discs.
I took my SGT-250 home that night, and it was love at first site. I found out they had Star Trek on CED, and that is all it took.
SKT-100
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:

I remember when I first got into this in 1982, you could get a VHS of Star Wars for 89,95. At that time, RCA was pushing Star Wars. As I have told in some other posts, The day I bought my first player, I wasn't thinking about it, at all. I went to an RCA store, where they renewed license tags in the corner of the store. I was in line to get my tags renewed, and just happened to glance over and see a tall cardboard cardboard cut out of Star Wars. and the slogan, MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU......TONIGHT. I had never heard of a CED player, or CEDs, and, do be honest, even after I took my player home I was sure there must be some kind of ultra thin tapes inside of these discs.
I took my SGT-250 home that night, and it was love at first site. I found out they had Star Trek on CED, and that is all it took.

You are right Scott. I had not heard of CED's until I saw the player and disc's at the Sears store. Up until that moment, I had not seen any advertising for the format either on TV or in the newspapers. By the way, i still have that player that I bought in 1983. I had to replace 2 of the 3 belts in it; but, it is still marching on.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have been here a few years now..

I love ANYTHING ANALOG and when i discovered VIDEODISC,i registered here straight away!!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scott, I've been on here since I first discovered CED back in Feb 2012. Since then, about 3 years, I've managed to collect every single title. It took some time and effort but with a format that nobody knows and nobody cared about it was pretty easy. 90 percent of the discs are practically free just because people want to get rid of them. I love the format, everything about it is great. Great people too.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketonic- did you finally find King of Hearts?

I remember when CEDs first came out in 1981, we rented players and discs a few times. I didn't find a working player on the used market til 1993, and decided soon after to collect every title that was out, which took me 13 years. It wasn't very easy to find them in the pre-Ebay days! I went on thrift store runs at least once every week for a long time.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No king of hearts yet Jesse. It's funny, now you can't find them at thrift stores but there are tons on ebay. What a digital age we live in now.
ChateauxFaygeaux

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: For what it's worth... Reply with quote

I can't remember exactly when I joined the forum (2005, maybe?), but I've been fascinated with CEDs since about 1999-2000. I fault Tom for this as his site left me wanting desperately to see a CED player in action for myself.

I eventually procured a collection and fixed a few players, but I'm sorry to say I haven't touched the stuff since moving to Virginia in 2008. I really ought to pull the player out and see if it still works.
johngreve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined the forum back in 2004 but stumbled into CEDs at a thrift store long before that. I used to hit all the local thrifts starting in about 1995 looking for old Atari cartridges. During one of my thrift blitzes I stumbled across some strange album like looking things except they were in plastic cases(caddys) .
What the hell are these things I mumbled to myself. They were so cool that I bought a few of my favorite movies even before I had a player. Looked around for a player of some sort, though I had no idea what I was looking for. I do remember buying The Charlie Daniels Saratoga Concert and Tora Tota Tora that day. Then a short while later a player showed up at the same thrift....it was a Sears 94 .....150 w/boxed remote. I grabbed it and headed home all excited. Fired that puppy up and inserted the Charlie Daniels disc....kicked back and was really looking forward to watching my very first CED. Well that first experience lasted maybe 5 seconds when the video and sound on the TV disappeared. What the.......took the cover off and all the belts including the cogged timing belt were goo. I think that was when I found the site as I researched where I could get parts. I contacted Tom and he was able to get me the belts that I needed and I was also able to talk him into making me some copies of owners and service manuals for a few players to boot.During my initial correspondence with Tom I mentioned that I had found that player with a boxed remote jus a few days earlier. Tom was very interested in the remote and offered to trade me a working SGT250 for it. I jumped on that deal! Seemed like a win-win to me.
And the rest is history......I have maybe 1000 unique titles now, a bunch of working players and a lifetime supply of stylus's that I bought off a woman on eBay for $6/ea, this was at least 15 years ago. I think I bought 75 or so from her, a combination of the 14900, the 154100 and the 154216 styli. All still sealed in their factory boxes. I opened them up and tested them all. Some even had flyleads that had corroded apart. This was years ago long before I knew about CEDatum and them being repairable. So what did I do.....tossed them.....what a fool. Im only interested in RCA players though..even though I still have the Sears player to this day and it still works just fine. I baby it and only use it on "special" occasions due to the lack of available replacement styli.
Some of the stylus didn't work even though they were unused so I sent them of to CEDatum and it turned out they just needed to have the flylead tension reset. What a great service John Stevens provides, excellent service and very fair pricing. I just got back 11 of the 154216 stylus's from John last week. I plan to leave this Earth with a good supply of styli in reserve. The good Lord would want it that way.
So that's a long way to go to say that I joined the group in 2004....but that's my story.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story John.

Also I agree that Mr. Stevens is a very nice fella.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
skippylovesyou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Bladerunner blues Reply with quote

I had bought a copy of Bladerunner on CED because I collect all other formats of this title and had forgotten of CED. A really well off family friend had a Beta player and A CED in their home and thats how I know it existed. I found a player at a thrift store and fixed it. Love at first view. Now I just collect sci fi and horror on the CED format because it looks so grindhouse. Nothing like watchin texas chainsaw massacre on CED. It feels scarier even though its cropped.
ElectroVoiceSeven's EV 15BW
xorcize

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Been Here? Reply with quote

Beetlescott wrote:
It was just before this time of year in 2010 when I first started posting on this site! Back then there were very few posters on here, Jesse, Rick and Dean were about all that were active then ... I lurked on here for a while before I ever joined, but only active since late 2010.

You probably single-handedly brought this forum to life, with the most posts by a long shot. I'm embarrassed by comparison.
JohnnyBoy83

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Just got here Reply with quote

Just started collecting in 2017 ! Thanks to Gunnar who was more then generous to me ! I hope to get a few more friends into these now.
Dude111

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its good having everyone here!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: