CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intro / Are there many Canadian CED enthusiasts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmgnbx86

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Intro / Are there many Canadian CED enthusiasts? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I suppose this is my obligatory introductory post. I'm a 28-year old Canadian who recently discovered CED during a round of random Wikipedia clicking...I think it began by looking up the entry on the final episode of M*A*S*H. It's a fascinating medium to someone my age - we're accustomed to burning 5 or 6 films on a single DVD-R, so having to flip a film after an hour and looking at the big beautiful artwork seems much more involving.

Within days I was devouring CED Magic and on the hunt for players on E-Bay. The most affordable option (don't tell my fiancee) turned out to be an SFT-100W with a dozen discs (I intend to probably acquire a 400 series player eventually). Based on my 'research' I was quite prepared for the player not to work beyond powering on, but to my great delight when it arrived on Friday it worked better than I could have hoped. Some discs play with a better picture than others.

One thing I've quickly learned is that shipping costs to Canada for both players and discs are generally very prohibitive. They're no doubt expensive within the US so imagine them being moreso. So I'm wondering, are there many Canadians in the 'community?' I presume most any would be in southern Ontario...I did discover the article about that guy who donated thousands of discs to some museum. I'm in New Brunswick and possibly now have the only player in the entire province. You'll see 20 VCRs on any given visit to a thrift store but nary a CED.
montecarlo02

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the community! I am 25 years old, so I am in a similar boat... we had a VCR when I was growing up but I had never heard of CEDs until fairly recently. Although I am American, I lived in Southern Ontario for a short while, but I'm back in the states now. I did see one guy post on here a little while back who has some for sale who is from Southern Ontario. Perhaps he could give you some leads? Happy hunting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
blindfury420

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for gunner on here or I can give you his email. He lives in canada and loves this format so you could find some good things from him!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Here in Canada Reply with quote

Hello BMGNbox86!
I am living in the Toronto area and would be more than willing to help guide you through the merky shipping waters of the CED world. My email is: gunner69@rocketmail.com Drop me a line and I would be happy to help in any way I can!

Cheers

Gunner
mescallado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Newbie from Toornto Reply with quote

HI, I am a newcomer here also from Toronto. I need help with 2 players (one RCA, the other a Hitachi) which are not functioning. The RCA SKT090 had a replacement belt, worked for a few movies but then suddenly stopped. Just loads but doesn't play, flashing the "L" sign but pressing Play doesn't help.
Same with the VIP1000. Just loads but there's no green light that goes from the left to the start of the timer. Doesn't hum or spin. Replaced the belt (loader and arm) but still doesn't work. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!
Eric420

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey im from Guelph Ontario , If anyone is near I'd love to trade/ buy some CED. Let me know what you have. ericwalmart420@gmail.com
Wendell2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

long time ced fan recently joined this forum from oxford nova scotia Canada
own a rca sft100 currently on my bench for repair and have a friend giving me 1000 ced discs
Eric420

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's a lot , I got lucky last year and picked up like 800 disc and 2 working players for $200
Wendell2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a great score, I came arcoss a ced player when I lived in Cambridge about 5 years ago I should of grabbed them
Eric420

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I got 3 now , but I hear there hard to find
Wendell2017

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are getting harder to find I got my sjt100w off ebay dirt cheap from ohio I haven't been able to find any machines locally
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: