CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED Players: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
synacktc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: CED Players: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? Reply with quote

I am looking to purchase my first CED player and had a few questions.

Are there some that should be avoided and some that are better starters than others?
Is there a list somewhere of the recommended players and/or the ones to be avoided?

If there is already a relevant post, please point me in that direction.

Thanks!
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the many makers of CED players, I would recommend the RCA series. Parts for the Hitachi models are very hard to find. The Toshiba models usually need a turntable belt in time. The belt is not available that I know of.

The RCA models (SJT and SFT) have parts available from cedatum.com. cedatum also repairs and rebuilds the RCA styus. Regardless of what the web site says, cedatum does not rebuild the Hitachi cartridges due to a lack of parts.

My own preference in the RCA players is the SJT-200, 300 and 400 models. Those 3 have stereo baseband outputs and a video output. The SJT-300 and 400 can be controlled by a remote control. The SJT-090 and 100 have only the RF output thus precluding stereo sound.

Hope this helps.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
John Smith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
Of the many makers of CED players, I would recommend the RCA series. Parts for the Hitachi models are very hard to find. The Toshiba models usually need a turntable belt in time. The belt is not available that I know of.

The RCA models (SJT and SFT) have parts available from cedatum.com. cedatum also repairs and rebuilds the RCA styus. Regardless of what the web site says, cedatum does not rebuild the Hitachi cartridges due to a lack of parts.

My own preference in the RCA players is the SJT-200, 300 and 400 models. Those 3 have stereo baseband outputs and a video output. The SJT-300 and 400 can be controlled by a remote control. The SJT-090 and 100 have only the RF output thus precluding stereo sound.

Hope this helps.

This is also my first time in purchasing a CED player. Out of curiosity, would you say that the RCA SJT models are the best when it comes to video playback quality?
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Smith wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

Hope this helps.

This is also my first time in purchasing a CED player. Out of curiosity, would you say that the RCA SJT models are the best when it comes to video playback quality?

I cannot say which of the 2 models (SJT and SKT) has the better PQ. I have never owned an SKT so I have no means of comparison. You would think that the SKT being a newer mode would have the better PQ.

Is there anyone here who has made the comparison and could comment on their experience?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system was pretty much where it would get when stereo sound was introduced at that time and the main differences would be in features and chassis. Due to the short lifespan of the format the only real improvements would be in stereo audio and search. The 'best' player in the series was never released due to the end of production.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the SFT-100 for the beginner. It's simple and easy to work on. If you decide you want to continue collecting CEDs you can always upgrade later. Stereo sound is overrated compared to mono. Now if you have a surround setup...
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
johngreve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
John Smith wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

Hope this helps.

I cannot say which of the 2 models (SJT and SKT) has the better PQ. I have never owned an SKT so I have no means of comparison. You would think that the SKT being a newer mode would have the better PQ.

Is there anyone here who has made the comparison and could comment on their experience?

I have both the SJT 400 as well as the SKT 400 and there is no discernible difference in picture quality between the two.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting about the SJT and the ST-400 models. I have an SJT-400 that I will be working on soon. It needs a transfer rod coupling and some belts and should work (how many times have I heard that). I also have a Realistic CED-1 that is being difficult. I replaced its 2 belts; but, it still will not load discs. I hate to salvage the stylus and junk the player as it is a very clean inside and out.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not poo-poo stereo jacks on a player. If you have an AVR, you can only use the base-band audio and video outputs from a CED player to feed a signal into the AVR so that the AVR can switch signals.. The RF outputs from the player are useless for your AVR. If your HDTV cannot handle the RF signal because of its ADTV tuner, you will not get picture and sound. An older SDTV can handle the CED RF output and will work with no problems.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
John Smith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So which of the players in your guys experience's has shown to have the best playback quality? Or at least the best set of features?

For ex. if it helps to understand: the Pioneer HLD-X0 is considered the best LD player and the SL-HF 1000 is considered the best betamax player.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dumbchemist wrote:
I would not poo-poo stereo jacks on a player. If you have an AVR, you can only use the base-band audio and video outputs from a CED player to feed a signal into the AVR so that the AVR can switch signals.. The RF outputs from the player are useless for your AVR. If your HDTV cannot handle the RF signal because of its ADTV tuner, you will not get picture and sound. An older SDTV can handle the CED RF output and will work with no problems.

I suppose you are right but who plays videodiscs on an HDTV. There are many cheap and cool SDTVs floating around. I just missed a really cool RCA TV/Phono/Radio console the other day for $75. Still kicking myself over that one.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbjunky wrote:
dumbchemist wrote:

I suppose you are right but who plays videodiscs on an HDTV. There are many cheap and cool SDTVs floating around. I just missed a really cool RCA TV/Phono/Radio console the other day for $75. Still kicking myself over that one.

I will be playing both videodiscs, CED and Laserdiscs, on an HDTV as soon as I replace my old Wega SDTV with my new Bravia HDTV. I do not want an HDTV and an SDTV in my living room just to play CED's. It is mainly because I do not have room for both TV's.. The Wega will end up in my bedroom eventually.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 34 year old Sony Trinitrons and DTV converter boxes for the 55-60 signals I can receive over the air plus 2/3 CRT projectors are working.

Flatscreens are for computers.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
I have two 34 year old Sony Trinitrons and DTV converter boxes for the 55-60 signals I can receive over the air plus 2/3 CRT projectors are working.

Flatscreens are for computers.

It must be nice to get over the air signals. The only "broadcast" TV that I get is from DirecTV. I am in a dead zone for terrestial digital broadcasts. I tried a few years ago using the "free" converter the gov't gave everyone and I received nada. I checked on the website for digital TV and I am in a zone with no coverage (i.e no repeater).

Before the changeover from analog to digital, I could get 2 analog stations: 1 from Syracuse,NY and 1 from Binghamton, NY. Now there is none. I am paying about $80/month for DirecTV for reruns of Friends and Teen Titans. If I get tired of watching them, I could watch infomercials for vacuum cleaners, pressure cookers, PiYo workouts, ad nauseum.

I have not tried streaming TV yet. I do not hold out much hope that it will work. My DSL router is too slow. It can take up to 25 seconds to refresh an Amazon webpage. I cannot see that TV would work any better.

End of rant.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
johngreve

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Smith wrote:
So which of the players in your guys experience's has shown to have the best playback quality? Or at least the best set of features?

For ex. if it helps to understand: the Pioneer HLD-X0 is considered the best LD player and the SL-HF 1000 is considered the best betamax player.

Well, Both the SJT and the SKT 400's with their random access features that allow you to play the interactive discs are probably considered the best feature loaded players of all that were manufactured. As far as playback quality I don't think that they are any better than their SGT brethren. With only 7 interactive discs to go after I don't think that it's that big a deal to have a 400. IMO any stereo player that has a remote should be just fine. I'd stick with the RCA models for parts availability more than anything else.
SGT250 Zenith VP2000
SJT200. 800+ discs
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the title says ugly, what's the best and worst looking player for you guys?
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
John Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngreve wrote:
John Smith wrote:

Well, Both the SJT and the SKT 400's with their random access features that allow you to play the interactive discs are probably considered the best feature loaded players of all that were manufactured. As far as playback quality I don't think that they are any better than their SGT brethren. With only 7 interactive discs to go after I don't think that it's that big a deal to have a 400. IMO any stereo player that has a remote should be just fine. I'd stick with the RCA models for parts availability more than anything else.

Are there other brand models that might be better regardless if parts are hard to find, like the Hitachi for example?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Just search and stereo. the picture is not that bad considering the VCRs out at that time, and the stereo sound is much better than those decks.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, outside of the auto-loading function full sjt/skt 400, the best player for the money is a sgt 250. you get stereo, a simple remote, and parts availability. i like the j/k players just fine but the fact that they have to touch the disc with a transfer rod means that the a disc can possibly be damaged during the load/ unload process. although the turn table is direct drive and the player only uses one belt to function, versus the 250 using a turntable belt as well as a function belt and a load unload servo belt ( which the sgt 200 does not have the 3rd belt but also lacks a remote ) its a matter of taste really. they all use the same stylus technology in one of 3 styles, basically you have to decide what works best for you or what you can afford and find.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmbjunky wrote:
Since the title says ugly, what's the best and worst looking player for you guys?

best looking is the zenith vp4000 and the ugliest is the elmo vec. just my opinion though
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beauty is of no consequence, WORKING is.
John Smith

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems as if choosing between the SJT-400 and the SKT-400 all you have to do is flip a coin.
Pickettroy1991

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: CED Players: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? Reply with quote

synacktc wrote:

Are there some that should be avoided and some that are better starters than others?
Is there a list somewhere of the recommended players and/or the ones to be avoided?

Thanks!

I have one player that I want to show it, but I can't because my wifi router didn't give their good connection.
Bumeaung50

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: CED Players: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly? Reply with quote

Pickettroy1991 wrote:
synacktc wrote:

Thanks!

I have one player that I want to show it, but I can't because my wifi router didn't give their good connection.

Is there still a problem to your connection to send your player? I think you need to check your default gateway and try to log in with a right IP addresses. But if it's not working good till now try to check 19216811.me to teach you fix the problem.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the last two replies are SPAM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: