CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to clean discs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: How to clean discs? Reply with quote

Tom has a great article on caddy repair and maintenance but I was curious if there is anything that should be done about the disc or caddy inside.

Some of the discs I bought recently have a thick, dark dust almost like soot. I was worried about that getting in my player.

Is there a way to wipe the disc? Is compressed air a good thing to use to blow out an empty caddy?
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
jsdspif

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wondered about cleaning discs but haven't really got into looking at many yet. I did receive a player and the stylus had quite a bit of a black somewhat "gooeey(sp?) substance on it but I had no idea where it came from. Another reason I had thought about cleaning discs is because I made a vacuum cleaning machine for LP records and wondered about using it without fluid to vacuum discs but that wouldn't take care of any actual residue. I know the problem of doing much in the way of cleaning would be that the protective silicone would also be removed. I guess if I ran into a dirty disc I'd probably try to obtain another copy of it if I really wanted to see it. It doesn't seem worth the risk to ruin the stylus.
I think compressed air regulated down quite a ways would be ok to blow dust out of the caddy. I noticed on a disc I was messing with that felt strip (or what ever that material is) was kind of flaking away and it made me think every time you load or unload a disc some of that stuff gets into the player. I'd be worried if using alot of air pressure it may blow the caddy into it's 2 halves?? I just wouldn't use much pressure.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it really goes against everything to physically touch the disc and clean it. the best way to clean a disc is to preplay it. i have heard of using cold distilled water and spin drying, but that is something to do at your own risk. since the grooves are so fine on the disc its really easy to disturb them
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the grooves on a CED disc are extremely small. One groove on a 33 rpm LP record can hold 40 CED grooves. This shows that small dust particles can easily enter a CED groove and change the groove's depth. The variation in the depth of the groove is what holds the video/audio information so changing the groove depth can change signal extracted from the disc thus altering the audio and video.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
cbertra2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a big proponent of physically cleaning a CED disc. You would probably do more harm than good. There used to be a website called CEDCentral that touted cleaning CED's on a Nitty Gritty lp record cleaning machine. This assuredly will remove the silicon coating from the disc. That being said there might be a way to wipe off a disc without removing the silicon coating. Gun shops sell a lint free cleaning cloth that is impregnated with silicon. You wipe in a circular motion and the cloth would pick up any dust that was on the disc without removing the coating. I personally have never tried this but it would be worth a try on a disc that is so contaminated with dust that they have become unplayable. All of my discs are in good shape but if someone on the forum tries this, please give us a report.
dmbjunky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info everyone. I didn't know about the size of CED grooves compared to LPs.
RCA MTR-225
A lot of discs
...and growing
fromabove

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys!

Great info!

______
http://findyourmind.se/
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any contact is generally bad for the disc. As for dust, the player is a somewhat closed environment and the disc never has a chance to meet the outside atmosphere, unless you have the lid off to work on it and need to see it working visually.

Even so it has generally been shown to skeptics that the CED is a lot more durable than they thought it would be.
analog.tv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an alcohol-based solvent cleaner and a VERY soft cotton cloth. Using slight pressure, I wipe in circles, with the grooves. Wipe until dry, ready to play once in the caddy. Now was that side 1..... or 2 ???? Craig
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The black stuff on the disc was put there in the manufacturing process and wiping it clean will also ruin it!

When we say it's LIKE a record, it's NOT an ACTUAL RECORD.

Removing the protective coating leaves the hill and dale CAPACITANCE grooves open to damage. It is in no way like a phonograph record, and care for vinyl audio discs will not work.

The coating protects the grooves. Never remove it. Wiping will usually destroy the information stored on the discs as well.

CEDs are not as tolerant as Laserdiscs/CDs/DVD etc and cannot be resurfaced/repaired so easily. If you damage a disc the only real option is to find another copy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: