CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: New here Reply with quote

Just registered for the forum and thought I'd say hi. This website has been an amazing source of info since I first stumbled upon the strange discs at an antique store. Somehow I missed that there was a forum on here until now. I finally found a player at a thrift store and I'm hoping to fix it up again. It's an SJT-400. It has the famous "goo belt" on the drive motor so if anyone can tell me the best place to find one, that would be helpful.

Looks like an interesting forum. I'm glad to see it's still active! CED collectors seem to be a very select group.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go here http://www.cedmagic.com/selectavision.html (which I guess I'd call the home page?) you can then click on "products" (may have to scroll down a hair) it will explain the process for obtaining free belts. That is an excellent service but it sometimes can take a while to get the belts. maybe 3 or 4 weeks??? That page also lists the belt you need (SBC 3.6). I believe I have bought belts on ebay. http://cedatum.com/ is also an excellent source for almost any CED service/parts etc. and they would have your belt.
I guess I'd consider the sjt400 the top of the line, so you got a nice unit. I would suggest reading all you can on the subject of CED players.
This is a link to go to to download the service manual
http://manuals.lddb.com/CED_Players/
bradn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks for the links and everything. I found the unit at a thrift store for $9 so I figured a little fix up would be worth it. How much do those generally go for?
jsdspif

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you got one heck of a bargain and that's a major understatement in my opinion. You could check the completed listings on ebay but properly working and restored and that would probably also mean putting in real switches for the controls maybe about $300 if you got 2 or 3 people bidding against one another. But you have to take into consideration the cartridge probably needs rebuilt or repaired. Rebuild would be about $50 when you include postage there and back. If you also send him the front panel to install real mechanical switches that would also run somewhere around $50 when you figure in shipping. If you buy the belt for it another $5 and if nothing else is wrong with it your all set. I wouldn't be surprised if a thing inside called the "third reduction gear" is broke. So that would be another $10 or so. So when you think of all that if you were lucky enough to get $300 for it (I might be high on that) you will have spent quite a bit of money and time. I'm attempting to at some point sell some of my units restored but haven't got any restored yet. I enjoy working on them but I've yet to actually just sit and watch a complete movie. I've got 4 players now dis-assembled and just had their cartridges rebuilt/repaired/cleaned.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome ashore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bradn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I'm sure it will need more than a drive belt, but I like that it's so easy to work on. I will probably keep it for myself to show others. Nobody I tell about CEDs seems to understand the concept.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember the format at the time. A guy I worked with did get a laser disc player at the time and about that time i got a betamax vcr. A few people though remember them quite well because they'd rent the player and movies. Not too long ago a guy was telling me he rented them and the rental place only had 4 or 5 players so they weren't always available and they had a limit on how long you could rent them. he also thought he may have had to pay a deposit the first few times he rented the players until they got to know you'd abide by the rules. Small town, mom and pop type rental place. I was renting just a few beta tapes at the time. I remember buying the beta player the salesman said something like "In 6 months to a year I think vhs will be gone. Betamax is such a better format and the players are so much better". I don't know if that's true or he was just trying to sell me a beta unit. It did manage to eat a tape about 6 months after I got it and they quoted me a repair cost of about twice what I paid for it. I got a vhs unit after that and it wasn't much later that beta wasn't around my area anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: