CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA 400 series player washed out screen issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirdoughnut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: RCA 400 series player washed out screen issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Will all 400 series players eventually be affected with the overheating OSD chip issue? reason I am asking I have 2 SJT 400 players and 1 SKT 400. One of my SJT 400's worked great for about 40 mins then developed the issue and now it has it immediately when the machine is turned on. My other SJT 400 I have not tested for that long afraid the same thing will happen again and destroy the chip. My SKT400 is a parts machine the loading mechanism is shot. Should I do the cooling fan mod before I put my working 400 into service?

It seems to be very difficult to find a 400 series player in working condition.

So far in my collection I have

1 SJT 300 complete with remote and box all paperwork even sealed AA batteries from 1983 and shipping tabs

1 SGT 100 complete with box
1 Hitachi VIP 2000 no box
Realistic 16-301 complete with box remote all paperwork

All of them work just needed to replace belts only having bad luck with 400 series players.
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the problem, but was wondering if "gluing" a small heatsink to the chip would work. I found thermal compound adhesive online. Years ago I had problems with a voltage regulator overheating and mounted a heatsink to it and that took care of the overheating issue.
NorCalRailRoader

Location: Redwood Valley, CA (Mendocino County, rural Northwestern California)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: RCA 400 series player washed out screen issue Reply with quote

sirdoughnut wrote:
Hello,

Will all 400 series players eventually be affected with the overheating OSD chip issue? reason I am asking I have 2 SJT 400 players and 1 SKT 400. One of my SJT 400's worked great for about 40 mins then developed the issue and now it has it immediately when the machine is turned on. My other SJT 400 I have not tested for that long afraid the same thing will happen again and destroy the chip. My SKT400 is a parts machine the loading mechanism is shot. Should I do the cooling fan mod before I put my working 400 into service?

It seems to be very difficult to find a 400 series player in working condition.

So far in my collection I have

1 SJT 300 complete with remote and box all paperwork even sealed AA batteries from 1983 and shipping tabs

1 SGT 100 complete with box
1 Hitachi VIP 2000 no box
Realistic 16-301 complete with box remote all paperwork

All of them work just needed to replace belts only having bad luck with 400 series players.

Can you post some pictures or videos of the issue? I have a SJT 400 as well.
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: RCA J/K400 with screen problem. Reply with quote

The screen/display problems with the J/K 400 players occur with time. The problem can be smearing, soft picture. lines in the picture, picture break-up or no display at all. In most cases the problem is NOT caused by a bad OSD chip but on a connector on the OSD/PS board in the player. The fix is easy. RCA issued a field service notice on this problem.

Remove the bottom cover of the player to expose the circuit boards. Gently pull out the OSD/PS and Features boards that are connected together. Carefully separate the two boards to allow access to the connectors on the OSD/PS board. identify connector J4 ( 4 pins) Remove the plug and exercise ( plug in/out) to remove oxidation on the pins. Spray the pins with a little contact cleaner and then plug back in. Done ! Reassembly the 2 boards and attach the bottom panel. The player is now ready to work again.
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RCA J/K400 with screen problem. Reply with quote

Daxi Don wrote:
The screen/display problems with the J/K 400 players occur with time. The problem can be smearing, soft picture. lines in the picture, picture break-up or no display at all. In most cases the problem is NOT caused by a bad OSD chip but on a connector on the OSD/PS board in the player. The fix is easy. RCA issued a field service notice on this problem.

Remove the bottom cover of the player to expose the circuit boards. Gently pull out the OSD/PS and Features boards that are connected together. Carefully separate the two boards to allow access to the connectors on the OSD/PS board. identify connector J4 ( 4 pins) Remove the plug and exercise ( plug in/out) to remove oxidation on the pins. Spray the pins with a little contact cleaner and then plug back in. Done ! Reassembly the 2 boards and attach the bottom panel. The player is now ready to work again.

Could you post some pictures, videos aka a visual guide to doing that? I've never opened up the circuit board area on one, and I don't want to make a mistake when I do Wink Thanks!
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't already have the service manual for the 400 player it is available for free download from various sources, maybe even on the site somewhre? It would probably be pretty helpful.
I was thinking osd chip, wouldn't it just affect the onscreen display portion and not the actual video playback? I don't know, just asking, but I was wondering if that chip would cause actual video playback problems ?
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsdspif wrote:
If you don't already have the service manual for the 400 player it is available for free download from various sources, maybe even on the site somewhre? It would probably be pretty helpful.
I was thinking osd chip, wouldn't it just affect the onscreen display portion and not the actual video playback? I don't know, just asking, but I was wondering if that chip would cause actual video playback problems ?

I'm set there, I have it already, there's also a schematic and tips/instructions on the underside of the top cover, though more basic than the service manual. I'm hoping there's a video of somebody doing this, if not, maybe we need to make one, wanna flip a coin to see who goes first? Very Happy

On the OSD chip, I was thinking the same thing, I thought it just generates the on screen prompts, time, info, etc., and has nothing to do with the video, but maybe they're inter connected somehow.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to http://forum.lddb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=38 for the SJT-400 service manual.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
jsdspif wrote:

I'm set there, I have it already, there's also a schematic and tips/instructions on the underside of the top cover, though more basic than the service manual. I'm hoping there's a video of somebody doing this, if not, maybe we need to make one, wanna flip a coin to see who goes first? Very Happy

On the OSD chip, I was thinking the same thing, I thought it just generates the on screen prompts, time, info, etc., and has nothing to do with the video, but maybe they're inter connected somehow.

there is no video that i know of, but it is totally doable and should only take an hour or so Wink i can provide pictures from my service manual if you like, but this procedure is a recent development and not covered in the manual. the best i can do i provide an exploded view diagram
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
NorCalRailRoader wrote:
jsdspif wrote:

there is no video that i know of, but it is totally doable and should only take an hour or so Wink i can provide pictures from my service manual if you like, but this procedure is a recent development and not covered in the manual. the best i can do i provide an exploded view diagram

It doesn't sound too bad, thanks!. Go ahead and post the exploded view diagram, too, I'm sure it'd be a great reference to have now, and for future endeavors.
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're you able to get the exploded diagram uploaded yet? Also, do you have to remove the master board to get to the two boards? The service manual isn't very clear on that, and I'm not really equipped to do some kind of major autopsy on this thing. Thanks for your help!
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpity bump.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
We're you able to get the exploded diagram uploaded yet? Also, do you have to remove the master board to get to the two boards? The service manual isn't very clear on that, and I'm not really equipped to do some kind of major autopsy on this thing. Thanks for your help!

sorry ill get that for you now, we had the amherst train show this past weekend and i was preparing for it for awhile, and then right after i the show i got sick and still am... but i have a free moment, so ill see what i can do now
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
Bumpity bump.

a topic with your info is here: http://cedmagic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2704
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
NorCalRailRoader wrote:
Bumpity bump.

That's awesome, that will help me a lot in doing this, thank you so much! How was the train show? I'm a huge railroad and model train guy too, I'm sure my name gives that away just a little Very Happy lol Post some pics of it, I'd love to see them.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:
NorCalRailRoader wrote:
Bumpity bump.

That's awesome, that will help me a lot in doing this, thank you so much! How was the train show? I'm a huge railroad and model train guy too, I'm sure my name gives that away just a little Very Happy lol Post some pics of it, I'd love to see them.

go to my youtube channel, i have tons of stuff on there Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxmRNAYI1Xo9LmNhk8hydBw
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was wondering if that was you, I am already subscribed to your channel, the CED and train videos got me interested! Laughing
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
You know, I was wondering if that was you, I am already subscribed to your channel, the CED and train videos got me interested! Laughing

ha! i figured there was at least one other in the world Wink i have a ced player in my layout room... because i can Smile
NorCalRailRoader

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
NorCalRailRoader wrote:

ha! i figured there was at least one other in the world Wink i have a ced player in my layout room... because i can Smile

Lol, Yep, we're out there, unique, aren't we? Very Happy
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorCalRailRoader wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:
NorCalRailRoader wrote:

Lol, Yep, we're out there, unique, aren't we? Very Happy

to be fair, ron rendfeld on here is a big o scale ( fine scale i think ) model railroader too, he recently got a lifetime achievement from the o gauge community Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: