CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Removing discs from caddies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you buy a CED if there were photos of the exposed disc?
Yes, removing the disc does no harm.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No, removing the disc can cause damage to occur.
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Only if it is a rare disc or one not in my collection.
42%
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Oreozapie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Removing discs from caddies? Reply with quote

Hello there, I was recently browsing Ebay for CEDs. It always annoys me to see a seller that has exposed the disc from the caddy to take pictures. I know this does not destroy the disc but it does seem much more likely for dust to get into the lubrication, or for a scratch to occur when putting the disc back into the caddy (of which you would never see as the photo was already taken) or from mishandling. Maybe I'm crazy but I would not want to buy a disc that I can prove has been exposed. What are your thoughts? I put a little poll together to find out. Please feel free to post your thoughts or experiences with this.

It also annoys me when sellers think everything is rare and do this to the discs... but that may be a topic for another day.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might send them a message and inform them of your concerns and point them to the CED Magic site and forums for comprehensive information about CED Videodiscs (remember that you can't use URLs/links in eBay's messaging system).
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust anyone other than myself to take the disc out. I always wonder why people do that for Ebay photos, unless they include a detailed explanation that they did it the right way and handled it correctly, putting it back in after taking the picture.
RT9342

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess people do that for all the idiots who think they're looking at a DVD or BluRay, or perhaps a lserdisc. It's hard to mistaken a black disc for one of those. But I don't know if it's really all that bad. All of my CEDs have managed to get dust, whether they've ever been removed from the caddy or not. More often than not, when I get used ones in lots, there are always discs where people have pulled them out and got fingerprints on them. I like to do a visual search fast-forward and rewind on all sides of a movie before watching them. I don't know how safe that it, but it seems to sweep off my discs and eliminate most platyback issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: