CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood Glue is Key, but not that simple.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slatton86

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Wood Glue is Key, but not that simple. Reply with quote

I got the idea after a friend telling me about cleaning records with wood glue. I later seen a video on youtube about the same thing, and it worked well so I though I would give it a try.

IT IS NOT THAT SIMPLE THOUGH.

Of course I can not find my notes of different brands and ways of diluting it enough to fit in the grooves better. In some cases the glue didn't even make it into the grooves and others it pulled the conductive materiel out with it. In some cases the glue dried and didn't bond to the CED at all so the only task was breaking it out of the shell, and that worked well. Others I kept a close eye on the drying process and peeled it away as soon as it was all translucent and this also worked well. I knew it was a success when I peeled off groovy pieces of plastic type shell.

It also takes a lot of time and care to work it into the grooves, you can't just goop it on and spread it out like on records. I did small amounts at a time, starting in the center, spreading outwards, then once it was covered in a thin layer all the way around (thin enough that you can see the top of the grooves so you KNOW the glue is in there) I would then proceed the same way as a normal record.

I was working with different glues and methods, and even working on a method of doing lots at one time using a bucket.

I hope someone is able to take this and improve on it, but please be careful, I would suggest buying some tattered discs on eBay to practice with.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would never put anything on a CED even fingerprints.There have been reports on this forum of people rinsing a CED with distilled water. Such treatment has always been discouraged. The CED's are sprayed with a silicone at the manufacturing plant to act as a lubricant. The silicone serves to reduce the friction between the disc and the stylus. Removing the silicone would signifiicantly reduce the life of the stylus. Using wood glue definitely would remove the lubricant.

40 CED grooves would fit in one groove of a 33 1/3 rpm record. Applying wood glue to a CED may not penetrate all the grooves and removing the glue would be problematic. You have to remember that the CED stylus does not vibrate side to side as a turntable stylus does. Instead, the stylus rides on top of the groove. The A/V information is stored as variations in the valley (i.e.depth) of the groove. Anything in the groove will change the depth thus changing the stored signal.

Overall, your technique of cleaning a CED will damage the disc rendering it useless. I think it would be better to get another good copy of a CED to replace a bad one. Except for very rare ones, there are plenty of good CED's out there.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not actually aware of the silicone. Wouldn't that be drying out by now though? Could that be why this method HAS worked? Maybe I simply removed dried out silicone coating?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prove to me that this method has worked on a CED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: