CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downsize collection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Downsize collection. Reply with quote

So I have been giving it some thought and I'm still very on the fence about it but I am considering downsizing my collection. While it is nice to have every title I am probably only going to ever watch maybe 30 percent of them. Also I might be moving soon and I really don't want to bring 3,000 discs with me. I feel as if the thrill of the hunt was really the only reason I went for every title, and now that I have them all most of them just sit there, unused. What is a good size collection? I was thinking maybe just keep around 600-800 discs? That way I could fit them all, or most all of them on one shelf in my man cave. But I'd like to hear what you guys think? Is a smaller collection a better collection, more maintainable, or do you constantly find yourself wanting more? I also feel like I would never be able to get rid of 2,000 some discs. I have put ads on craigslist and facebook, and many other places and the only time I have ever received a response is the one time I listed the discs for free. Some guy came with a pickup and took about 400ish discs. I saw a few of the same discs on ebay later but being common titles I doubt he sold any. I don't want to give them away just to have someone throw them out when they can't resell them. I know another member on here had a heck of a time trying to get rid of a large number of discs and ended up just keeping them cause nobody else would come get them. I feel like thats going to be the same senario if I decide to get rid of them, but I really want the space back and the discs to go to someone who will actually use them. What do you guys think?
cedwaechter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh, I feel your pain. I think a lot of it has to do with the hunt part. Since you have them all, there is no challenge anymore. Can't keep replacing so, so discs with better ones forever because what do you do with all the ones you have replaced? Unless you have space and a way to move them, it is a pretty difficult hobby. You will regret getting rid of them in 2 or 3 years and you will want to get back into it. Common ones will be no problem, but keep the good ones. There is absolutely no way anyone would ever watch all of them unless you dedicated your life to doing it. As we have discussed, my kids don't want to keep it going when I get older and I still haven't decided what to do with them at that point. Until then, I just keep 'em coming until I run out of space or patience. I have around 400 need to get rid of but unless you are close to a metro area it is pretty tough to get rid of them. Don't want to trash history.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not easy being an ambassador of history Smile
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Chris, I don't plan to get rid of anything super rare. But titles like the dog training, baseball fun and games, jane fonda, and on golden pond, etc. I really never need to watch those. So they are just taking up space I could be using for other cool stuff. And yes, I am constantly upgrading my discs and then I have tons of extras left over. I am going to be bringing about 2 crates worth of the best extras to the workshop and for the most part people can just have them. I really don't want to bring any of those ones back with me. But I do have a lot of about 200 discs I got off ebay that I will be picking up from Pam, and another 180 discs I am buying from Pam. So I'll be bringing home another 300 plus discs with me, but most of which will be replacing discs in my collection. Then I'll have to try to get rid of the 300 that I will be replacing. Fun stuff.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downsided my collection last year, from about 1400 titles to about 800 titles, and i'm don't feel the pain, Im like you, I would never get around to watching all the discs. I will always be involved with this format, because I love it!
SKT-100
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still no way I can get to Indiana, or Ohio for the 15th anniversary Yesfans.com get together or much of anything.

Titles and a t-shirt or two, I can pay for those.

Just not in April, that budget is done and spent.

I'm finishing a bicycle and put just under 1/2 down on my next to last wanted classic Pioneer cassette deck in the collection.

My birthday is at the end of June and I've carefully planned to be able and party like a king for my 50th.

If you put together a DVD of the event, those of us unable to get there would likely love to buy it and help you that way.
skippylovesyou

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Downsize collection. Reply with quote

I feel...with any media collection, a small one is better..get the best stuff and keep....forever. I find myself watching the same movies, same records etc as I get older....Only the format changes.... I strive to own bladerunner in every format released.. When I saw it on CED I had to get a player...destiny!!!!..I sold the uncut VHS and kick myself everytime I see one on ebay.

Goodluck... If you an extra copy of Starwars return of the jedi...lemme know
ElectroVoiceSeven's EV 15BW
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story about why I collect:

I was REALLY into records when I was a kid- there were no VCRs or video games out yet, so that's about the highest tech I had to play with. I had almost every Sesame Street record and a bunch of other kids' records. Later I decided I was too old for them and sold them all at a garage sale. I don't even remember what I did with the money, but years later I wanted the records back! Since then I haven't gotten rid of ANY media, ever- even if it's something I swear I don't like and will never watch or listen to again.

When I got into CEDs, part of it was to have a big library of movies I might never have seen otherwise, gotten at little cost. When DVDs came along and then many movies on that format dropped below $5, the value part of CED was pretty much gone and now Netflix and the like give you a big selection of movies to watch at your fingertips. Still, I'm keeping all the CEDs because I love 'em! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: