CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

need some help from all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: need some help from all Reply with quote

name is ray i live in il usa and want to get into ced sorry bad spelling im a austium 31 year old and cant sit out side dew to people will polke sticks in my eyes, and movie is other way i can fill my7 time and get me off pc love tech and want to collect stuff like ced, what player should i look for on ebay that would be easy to get the parts i need to play it liks the styles and all thanks hope cna help me out thanks like to get into ced i have hd tv i know it will be lower than hd 1080p and need to zoom it thanks ray hope can help me out thanks what player all recamend me looking for on ebay thansk ray
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ray! Welcome to the group! Glad to have you. I hope you find CED will be very fun and exciting. If you are going to be connecting it to a modern TV I would recommend a J/K model, SJT or SKT, 200 or higher. So a SJT200, SJT300, or SJT400. They will have the RCA Composite outputs in stereo, so the red, white, and yellow, connector. Most TV's will upscale this type of input fairly well so you should get a better picture and stereo sound. These players are typically the easiest to work on as well. The 300 and 400 models can also be used with a remote. Some modern remotes can be programmed to work with them but not all. You can check on craigslist in your area and see if anything is available locally. Did you say you are from IL? If you are close to Indy we are having our annual CED Workshop this Thursday April, 14th 2016 at the Wingate hotel in Indianapolis. If you are close you can stop by and we can try to get you a player or if you want to attend the workshop and learn how to fix the players and more about the format it's $40 for the workshop and that includes paperwork and supplies, lunch and beverages for the day. Let me know at videodiscjunkie@gmail.com if you are interested in attending. We would love to have you there, a great group of guys and gals and we promise not to poke sticks in your eyes. Wink I hope I have answered your questions. -Josh
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Ray! Welcome to the group! Glad to have you. I hope you find CED will be very fun and exciting. If you are going to be connecting it to a modern TV I would recommend a J/K model, SJT or SKT, 200 or higher. So a SJT200, SJT300, or SJT400. They will have the RCA Composite outputs in stereo, so the red, white, and yellow, connector. Most TV's will upscale this type of input fairly well so you should get a better picture and stereo sound. These players are typically the easiest to work on as well. The 300 and 400 models can also be used with a remote. Some modern remotes can be programmed to work with them but not all. You can check on craigslist in your area and see if anything is available locally. Did you say you are from IL? If you are close to Indy we are having our annual CED Workshop this Thursday April, 14th 2016 at the Wingate hotel in Indianapolis. If you are close you can stop by and we can try to get you a player or if you want to attend the workshop and learn how to fix the players and more about the format it's $40 for the workshop and that includes paperwork and supplies, lunch and beverages for the day. Let me know at videodiscjunkie@gmail.com if you are interested in attending. We would love to have you there, a great group of guys and gals and we promise not to poke sticks in your eyes. Wink I hope I have answered your questions. -Josh
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Need to ask a q Reply with quote

Great can't make workshop would love a player don't see any on cregliust or eBay I work as food store bagger for 9 dollars a houyr how I get a CED player and some movies to get me started ty
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Ray!!! Great bunch of people here.
SKT-100
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: need to ask a q Reply with quote

thanks dose any one have a a player and some movies i can get in mail to get started with cant aford hadly nothing right now helping my mom with health bills and like to get this thansk what i do to get some movies and a player i can use thansk ray
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Need to ask a q Reply with quote

anyone???
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ray, we are glad to have you at the forums!
CED collecting is not a cheap, or fast hobby.
sometimes i wait weeks or months to hear back from people selling discs or players.
you get what you pay for. if you dont have a fair amount of money this isnt for you. shipping costs add up and no disc is a guaranteed winner when its shipped in the mail. if you get a player and it stops working, if you cant fix it you have to send it out to get fixed. it might seem like a "cheap" hobby but if you cant stand on your own for repairs then it gets more complicated.

some advice for you,
save your money and be patient. when the time is right, you will know it.
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Need to ask a q Reply with quote

OK will keep looking ty
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to turn you off to the hobby but Tony, or Selectavison420, has a point. Depending on how technically inclined you are can mean a lot price wise. If you want to buy a working SJT300 or 400 be prepared to drop $200-$400 on it with shipping and everything. But if you are good at fixing electronics you can pick up a parts machine pretty cheap on ebay, $40 or $50 and then fix it yourself.

As far as discs go, they range from $5 on up to $200 for some of the extremely rare discs. You can also go years looking for a certain title if it's very rare.

But over all it is a very fun hobby and entertaining. You couldn't ask for a nicer group of guys and gals here. If it is something you want to persue but don't want to spend a lot, I'd say keep checking craigslist until something comes up, it may take a while but eventually something always does. Otherwise you can find what you want now on ebay but be prepared to pay quite a bit for it.

Hope that helps.
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:19 pm    Post subject: need to ask a q Reply with quote

Ail look Mp e realty want to get into ced
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: need to as a q Reply with quote

Might got one working with 20 movies on ebay just. Offered here a price its sjt 200 one recamened on here wanted to update all will keep looking if don't fall throw
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: need to ask a q Reply with quote

is this ced player good Toshiba CED videodisc player VP100 here is link https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/ele/5532701148.html thanks ray
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an older mono player, does it still work or has the owner told you anything about it?

You can find out about all the CED players produced at the parent site, http://cedmagic.com/

There you can also learn how CEDs work, how they were made (they were discontinued in 1985-86 so the format is obsolete and there are no new titles after 1985 basically) and how to care for them.

It's probable that you will have to get the cartridge re-tipped (CEDs are a sort of RECORD, played with a special kind of needle) but member cedatum does that and does it good.

Don't throw the cartridge away! Nobody makes new ones! Toshiba cartridges and mechanisms are somewhat different than the RCA players, Hitachi made some as well and Sears, Radio Shack (Realistic) tended to use those two sources for theirs, JC Penney had a rebadged RCA in their lineup I believe, Penneys also used NEC and Panasonic for their other house brand MCS audio components and televisons back then but Hitachi was a common VCR and component maker for other brands, including RCA.

RCA Corporation no longer exists in it's original form, they went bankrupt and folded in the mid 80s. All RCA branded products are made by several companies depending on the type under a branding license after Thomsen had acquired some of their lines...the RCA records label was bought by another company called Bertelsmann Music Group (BMG) and it's now part of Sony after they merged with them. Audiovox may still be making RCA branded accessories, and I don't know who makes the cassette and videotapes, haven't looked at one in a while.

There are only somewhere over a thousand titles available from between 1981 and 1985, and many here have reached that point and sold off selected discs, or are getting out so look here and everywhere, eBay, yard sales, Craigslist, newspapers, secondhand stores...you can build your own collection and find the machines you like without too much trouble, even 35 years after the introduction.

British titles are in their old analog PAL format, they won't play correctly on most older analog TVs made for North America but many digital TVs seem to be able to play them and some multi-standard CRT sets will as well. remember that the UK standard had different audio and video carriers so it won't play the same on a US player without adapting. Still some member here in the US collect the UK titles (much rarer as they came later, near the end) and members outside the US collect our titles and players as well as theirs.

The titles are easier to find than working players and many will need special belts and general work. There are members who can help you in many of those aspects and also teach you how to fix your own. The mechanical parts aren't the hardest part--it's the electronics that went into them and have no counterparts elsewhere.

While it's good to have a remote, some commonly found universal remotes tend to have the codes for many models/makes or can be programmed for them.

Remember what we always say on another group I'm in: There are no stupid questions, only dumb mistakes when you didn't ask.

So ask the seller about it and if it works have them play it for you. If you want a STEREO player then look to us or elsewhere, but the mono players are fully compatible with stereo discs and you can watch them on any TV with the right inputs or a switch box.

We tend to stick to CED and the brands they came from here but the occasional Laserdisc related topic will slip in. There are great sites for them and there should be links on the main site or they are easy to find in search engines. Most people into CEDs tend to be into other video formats, tape and disc...as an aside I've found that antique tube radio restorers tend to like old CLOCKS as well Smile

I have an autism spectral disorder myself, and hobbies are a great way to focus and learn things that make you feel good about yourself. I learned to tackle discarded computers and make them work (half the time, some are just parts to be honest) so I don't have to rely on repairmen so much for that (and the local shop donates old chassis to me as well as a friend at a secondhand store). I am typing at a 3 GHz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading and over 700 GB in hard drive space I took from Windows XP to 7 just last week. I also love fixing up and riding vintage bikes, fun if you can't afford to drive Wink

So, it's not what is a GOOD player, they were all pretty good back then, it's what you can do to keep it working well and enjoy it.

If you're into that, we're able and ready to help, and again, welcome to the CED Magic Forum!
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: need to ask a q Reply with quote

i know im going off topic is lazer disk good to get into untill i get a ced player want something i can use now untill i get a ced player if so what one recamend i got hd tv here thanks ray
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laserdisc has titles from the late seventies until 2001. You'll find a lot more titles available and they have a lot of features CED could not do. Remember that they too have their limitations due to the way they were designed but there are a lot of players our there, most of them have stereo playback, even digital soundtrack playback, after around 1982 or '83 they were made to also play CDs and then the same sized video CDs and after about 1980 the quality goes up a lot, in a large part thanks to Pioneer taking over the main production of the players and some of the disc production.

Probably the best site I know of about Laserdisc machines and titles is the Laserdisc Database, much of which you need to be registered to access but

http://www.lddb.com/list.php is a good start, AND they have lists for most disc formats, including HD DVD and CED, the JVC VHD system, the important topic of laser rot and if you look at the bottom right hand corner LD PLAYER models and some info on them for the US and other regions.

They are probably the most complimentary site to choose in relation to this one in that you will learn a lot about video in general that will help you to find better quality titles, good mastering and avoid or solve problems that you might use here or with any other formats.

The Mr. Betamax site is another favorite of mine, at the moment I'm getting a message about the site being down or temporarily unavailable, so I don't know what that could mean at the moment, another link list of help is at http://www.palsite.com/home.html

Some of these sites, well...most...haven't been updated a lot in a couple years or more, as obsolete technology sites tend to--you guessed it--decay like the format.

If you really enjoy the world of old tech and those strange things of our past you should really enjoy viewing Oddity Archive episodes on You Tube, hosted by the ever self effacing and over all enjoyable goofy geek on purpose, Ben Minnette. Oddity Archive is worth every penny you didn't pay for it (all kidding aside)!
raymondjtoth2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: need to ask a q Reply with quote

tyhanks so lazer will hold me over untill i get a ced player but still want to get into ced movies just need a starting place for now to get a moving thansk for info will do lazer them go back and get a ced player once find one thansk for info ray want to get something i can watch this summer to take my mind off college and tech stuff i learned summer for fun not learning and in fall will keep eyes out for ced player since will be in college agen in fall and spring and that good time to look for ced player thansk ray hope understand why im asking and dont want to anoy my mom in summer thansk ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: