CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"checking" discs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsdspif

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: "checking" discs Reply with quote

When examining a newly acquired disc for problems, what exactly are you looking for? Does anyone know of any pictures of the said damage, imperfections etc.? I'm new to ced, currently working on a sjt200. Haven't got around to looking at the stylus yet, but if I was to install a new one I really hate taking a risk to play a disc when it could have a problem that would damage the stylus. I'd like at least a chance to examine the disc and maybe spotting something that would kind of say "don't play this disc, damage will probably occur". I just don't know what I'd be looking for. Thanks.
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 2 things I can think of to check for are a cracked disc and visible dirt. A cracked disc can ruin the stylus in a matter of seconds. Visible dirt can cause mistracking and video/audio noise.

As always, never touch the surface of a disc with a bare hand as the oil on your hand will transfer to the disc. You want the disc to stay as factory clean as possible.

Can anyone else add to my posting?
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
jsdspif

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the cracked disc, will that be pretty obvious with the "naked eye" or is that something you need some sort of magnification. As far as dirt I was wondering if my vacuum record cleaning machine would be of any use to me? I made it and the application of the cleaning fluids and the process of vaccuming is manual. I was thinking possibly using it dry if I ran across a disc with a lot of visible residue? Or possibly just warm water. I guess I'm worried about disturbing the silicone (or whatever the substance was they put on it when the disc was manufactured). Or possibly just blowing it off with air and letting the stylus clean it?? Lot's of questions. Thanks for the reply. The discs seem pretty well protected but people that don't know any better may have removed the disc to use as some sort of James Bond frisbee type weapon and then put the disc back into the caddy??
dumbchemist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the crack on a disc is fairly straight forward when the crack is large i.e. from the center to the edge.

However, I had a disc break that had no outward sign that it was cracked. I was working on an SJT-400 player. I had inserted the disc to check how well the mechanism worked. When I removed the disc, it broke into 3 pieces as it was being inserted back into the caddy. The movie, Dr. Seuss Video Festival, had not been playing well in the past with lots of skipping. Apparently, the crack in the disc was not all the way through and decided that the time had come to break up.

You have to remember that the grooves in the CED are very small. One groove in an LP record (33 rpm) can contain 40 CED grooves (per Tom Howe) so dirt is an enemy.
GEN10301
RCA SJT-200 SJT-400
DiskLord DP-830
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: