CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zenith VP2000 CED player question...it freezes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Zenith VP2000 CED player question...it freezes Reply with quote

Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I am somewhat new to the CED game, but I have always loved these players. I recently bought a Zenith VP2000 player, and I am having some problems. When I load the disc and press play, the credits and production info roles for about a minute and then freezes. It will then start from the beginning again and play until a minute before it freezes. If I flip over to side 2, the same thing happens in the movie. The picture is great and the sound is great. Any suggestions? Thanks!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like its going to need a stylus advance belt, which is a pretty easy fix! its probably stretched out and slipping
mouse17

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Is there a good place to buy this belt? Also, just how easy is this fix? Any advice is much appreciated and needed haha
krbsforty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse17 wrote:
Awesome! Is there a good place to buy this belt? Also, just how easy is this fix? Any advice is much appreciated and needed haha

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy it here.

You may be able to buy this belt from a web site called CEDatum. Their web site is www.cedatum.com You can call them or E mail them, and they may be able to give you instructions on how to repair the belt. Good luck!
CEDvince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid question, but do you have something heavy on the top of the machine? On some players, particularly SGT-200, SGT-250 and Zenith VP2000, if there is really any significant weight on the top the players lid will give a little and get in the way of the arm advancing.
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDvince wrote:
Stupid question, but do you have something heavy on the top of the machine? On some players, particularly SGT-200, SGT-250 and Zenith VP2000, if there is really any significant weight on the top the players lid will give a little and get in the way of the arm advancing.

that is not a stupid question, but typically the player will get about half way through a disc before the arm will get stuck, the way he is describing it, it sounds like the stylus will only track the first few minutes, but no more because the belt is not advancing it anymore, the stylus does have enough freedom in it to play a short bit without being advanced by the belt
mouse17

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. Only problem I'm having is removing the top to get inserted machine. Any helpful tips? I've been searching for awhile.
Raintree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad says it is probably the stylus advance motor belt. He said that Cedatum offers a great tip on how to re-condition the belt at cedatum.com

Also, taking off the top just requires removing the hex-head screws from the bottom, around the edges, and the three philips screws on the back, and lifting the top case off.

But he said that getting the belt off is more tricky and ytou have to be careful in doing this. And if you cannot, it's best to go to a person with some technical abilities to do it.

Last edited by Raintree on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CEDvince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need help and are near the Cleveland Ohio area I would be happy to show you how to replace the belt.
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
sabahat

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, The function belt will turn to goo while the other belts are fine. I had to replace my function belt when I bought it 2 years ago, and the other ones are still doing great. I LOVE the SGT-250, it is my very favorite. Just thought i'd pass that tidbit on to you.
You may know more about these than I do, but Goo Gone will clean the goo ove the pulley for you. Good luck!
cathoderaytube

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same player with the same problem...I can see the belt slipping when i have the machine running with the cover removed...and when i give the gear a push manually the belt grabs and it keeps tracking fine...I have replaced the belt a couple times with other crappy belts from other machines so getting it on & off with a tweezers is pretty easy...

I also tried the ammonia shrinking trick with no success...

I was going to go for the SASE free-belt program from the owner of this forum...does anybody know if hes still actually doing it? I don't want to bother if the page for free belts via SASE is from 1995 and hes totally forgotten about it and has nothing left...

I also thought about taking the servo drive assembly out modifying it in several possible ways...drilling another hole where the motor attaches so it can be pivoted down and the belt tightened that way...similar to an alternator in a car...or i was going to hunt thru my piles of electronic junk and look for either gears or a cog-belt out of a printer or something to convert it to a gear drive...but i guess just getting the proper belt would be easiest..
allthingsced

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cathoderaytube wrote:
I have the same player with the same problem...I can see the belt slipping when i have the machine running with the cover removed...and when i give the gear a push manually the belt grabs and it keeps tracking fine...I have replaced the belt a couple times with other crappy belts from other machines so getting it on & off with a tweezers is pretty easy...

I also tried the ammonia shrinking trick with no success...

I was going to go for the SASE free-belt program from the owner of this forum...does anybody know if hes still actually doing it? I don't want to bother if the page for free belts via SASE is from 1995 and hes totally forgotten about it and has nothing left...

I also thought about taking the servo drive assembly out modifying it in several possible ways...drilling another hole where the motor attaches so it can be pivoted down and the belt tightened that way...similar to an alternator in a car...or i was going to hunt thru my piles of electronic junk and look for either gears or a cog-belt out of a printer or something to convert it to a gear drive...but i guess just getting the proper belt would be easiest..

I have a servo belt I can spare for you If you need one. I'm also interested in getting the contact info of the woman with the players as I'm not to far from Gettysburg pa. I'm in the lehigh valley. Please contact me at allthingsced@gmail.com
allthingsced

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse17 wrote:
Thanks for the helpful advice everyone. Only problem I'm having is removing the top to get inserted machine. Any helpful tips? I've been searching for awhile.

I have a spare servo belt I can send you if you need one!
icward22

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Zenith VP2000 Reply with quote

I am buying one of these and it will need to be shipped to me. Do any of you know if there are "shipping" tabs or screws that need to be in place for safe shipping of this model? Thanks
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no there is supposed to be a foam piece that goes under the stylus hatch to block the arm from moving around i think
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: