CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rprice76

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

Hey Folks!

I can still remember - it was Christmas 1981 - I was 5 years old - and my uncle bought my grandmother a brand new RCA STF100. I can still remember my grandmother saying "What do I need this for? I can go to the movies instead." She was 67 at the time.

Well - grandma fell in love with her Video Disk player - and was the first person in our family to get a membership at a video rental place. At the time I remember there was no where in our town where you could buy the disks - only rent them.

By 1986 production had ceased - and my grandmother started buying disks from the rental stores --- all her favorites - and the favorites of us kids. Her collection swelled to almost 100 disks.

Over the years she continued to have the old player hooked up in her living room - and her VCR in the den. Every now and then we'd watch a movie as it was only on the video disks. Once a year she'd have it taken to a local repair man to have it serviced - new belts - and twice replaced the cartridge.

When she passed away in 2002 - I got the player. I can still remember lugging that heavy old thing to my apartment - and Gosh - it took four trips to take the videos as they are HEAVY.

When I moved in 2003 - I put it in storage only having played two movies with it.

I still have it - in a closet - and if I need to - I can always pull it out and play a movie - and bring back memories.

I had no idea there was a following for these - and no one I've spoken to remembers them.

Ryan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: