CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CED player repair help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krbsforty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: CED player repair help Reply with quote

I own an RCA CED player model SFT100W, and I need some help with it.

I attempted to repair the player, and I encountered a problem. I was able to partially dis-assemble the player by removing the screws on the bottom of the player. When I got the bottom off, I attempted the unscrew the turntable, and I was unable to unscrew the two soft metal screws in the centre of the turntable. I put my screwdriver in the soft metal screws, and they would not come loose at all; they have turned hard & rigid. I have never worked on a CED player before; I am new at doing it myself. Has any one else encountered this problem before? If any one could give me some advice, then I would appreciate it. Thank you.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first SFT100 I took apart I stripped those screws out. They were stuck in too good and since they are soft it didn't take much to ruin them. I had to drill the old screws out then I went to Lowes and they have a big selection of brass screws. I found some identical but longer, put a nut on then clip them the right length. That way you can back the nut off to straighten out your threads. They worked just fine as suitable replacements. Was a lot of wasted time and effort just for a couple of screws but if they won't come off there's not much else you can do. If you haven't stripped them yet you could try spraying them with some break-free and let it soak in a day or so.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two options. I do this first, dremel the yoke screw in to a flat head style screw. If that fails, like Josh said you must drill it out. Be very careful as to not drill the threads of the turntable yoke. If that happens you will have to replace it, not just the screws!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
CEDvince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it strips I would use a left handed drill bit on it. They always work best in situations when you can't damage the threads but need a soft/stubborn bolt/screw out.
2 - RCA SGT-200
2-RCA SJT-400
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDvince wrote:
If it strips I would use a left handed drill bit on it. They always work best in situations when you can't damage the threads but need a soft/stubborn bolt/screw out.

Haha Totally forgot about that!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
krbsforty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips; they are very helpful. I do not know what I am doing, so I would like to do it correctly, and I do not want to damage the player. I got the instructions from CEDatum in Indiana. I used to hire Darryl in Kentucky to work on my CED player, but he retired & sold his inventory a few years ago, so I have to do it myself now.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krbsforty wrote:
Thank you for the tips; they are very helpful. I do not know what I am doing, so I would like to do it correctly, and I do not want to damage the player. I got the instructions from CEDatum in Indiana. I used to hire Darryl in Kentucky to work on my CED player, but he retired & sold his inventory a few years ago, so I have to do it myself now.

i have most of his test equipment lol
Raintree

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad showed me a collection of those screws he had inadvertently stripped the head on. Some he cut a slot and took out with a flat screwdriver. others he had to remove with one of those easy-out sets. He says that was the major design flaw on those players because they used Phillips screws with a slot that did not fit well any standard Phillips screwdriver, and they were much too soft too. He apparently got harder metal exact replacement screws from a big outfit that manufactured fasteners. Seems like they all are now available online as long as you know the correct specs of the screw.

I used to have a wire stripper combo device that also cut small bolts. Just thread them in, close the handles and it snapped of the bolt end real quick. Good idea about leaving a nut on to redo the threads nicely but this cuter did it anyway since the screw had to be threaded into the cutting slot.
CThiesUGP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are suitable replacement screws for this since ,I too, have stripped them trying to remove the turntable?
Daxi Don

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: RCA F/G player replacement yoke screws. Reply with quote

CEDatum has in stock replacement yoke screws. They are much better than the RCA original The replacements are made of hard stainless steel.
Sold in a packet of 2 screws. E-mail contact. cedatum@ccrtc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: