CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Robin Williams & Lauren Bacall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Robin Williams & Lauren Bacall Reply with quote

I just heard that Cinema great Lauren Bacall passed away this morning from a stroke she was 89. She was in a ton of CED movies. On the heels of hearing that Robin Williams 63, died yesterday. The entertainment world lost 2 great ones yesterday. Rest in Peace. My Mom always said these tragedies always come in "3s" I hope she is wrong this time. Rest In Peace!
SKT-100
krbsforty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very sorry to hear the news about both of them, too. Hollywood will never be the same without them. The good part is that they will not be forgotten, and their work will live on.
Raintree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mom says the same thing, and Dad right now is telling me no. He says that it just seems that way because there are always tragedies, and after three happen, the count starts anew for the superstitious people.

Anyway. I think Robin Williams greatest performance was in Three Hour Photo, meaning other than his improv comedy. Very sad to see him gone.
Husker Du

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week we lost Marilyn Burns from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Menachem Golan, owner of Cannon Films. Cannon released a lot of cult films in the 80’s (Lot’s of Chuck Norris and Charles Bronson) . Those two may not be household names, but to fans of horror and exploitation films they were icons.
krbsforty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little-known fact that Lauren Bacall was the announcer for the Public Broadcasting Service back in the 1990s & the early 2000s, saying "This is PBS."

How many movies starring Robin Williams were released on CED?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last nite we watched robin williams' " an evening with robin williams " being born in the mid eighties i feel like i kind of grew up with a lot of his stuff, and i have been kind of thinking about it lately, and it really is a bummer that he is gone now... but we will always have him on ced Smile
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raintree wrote:
My Mom says the same thing, and Dad right now is telling me no. He says that it just seems that way because there are always tragedies, and after three happen, the count starts anew for the superstitious people.

Anyway. I think Robin Williams greatest performance was in Three Hour Photo, meaning other than his improv comedy. Very sad to see him gone.

Oh I was trying to remember the name of the movie he was in where he worked at a photo lab. I thought it was 1 Hour Photo, that was truly a creepy movie.
SKT-100
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the Facebook site sad they read that the girl who played . Spocks "intended" on the Star Trek episode Amok Time. She passed away yesterday. Sad
SKT-100
vicjeffreys

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: amok time actress Reply with quote

Yea just read the same thing that the actress who played spocks betrothed in amok time did pass Away but I didn't read yet from what. I guess things do come in threes.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon Films was pretty big and important for action movie fans...Golan was pretty good at getting films like that made.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't heard yet, Robin's wife disclosed that he hadn't chosen to reveal that he had early-stage Parkinson's Disease.

This may have something to do with why he chose to end his life. Will we ever know, or do we really want to?

One can imagine the terrible pain for a person of such frenetic energy.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, this may have been something that added to his stress. I have bi polar disease and, without medication, it is NO fun. you can't control the highs, and it is nice to be "UP' , but, believe me, you pay for the highs when you come crashing down. The bad thing about the lows, is you can never stop how far you can fall in to depression. Robin would go on the Today Show and before the interview was over, he would be jumping around, making everyone laugh. Without medication, Bipolar can be very dangerous. Jane Pauley, who used to anchor, the Today Show, is Bipolar. She said in a book she wrote, when she would get on a manic or "HI" episode, once she when out, and purchased a vacation home! I am a salesman, I came from a long line of sales people, from my Grand Father on. And being in sales is perfect for someone who I "UP". The last year I worked, I led the company in number of sales made. I contribute much of that to the UP episodes. I'm really not bragging, I just wanted to make a point. Smile But that is one medicine I never miss.
SKT-100
Mayor West

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not always easy talking about or sharing mental health issues. It is sometimes enough to know that we don't struggle alone, and can still be successful. Thank you, Beetlescott.

SJT300
Dude111

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its very sad about Robin and all Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: