CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learned Something About Silicon Oils

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:08 am    Post subject: Learned Something About Silicon Oils Reply with quote

This Saturday, I ran in a slot car race (the first since I was 16 years old!). The owner who also raced suggested coating the plastic spur gear with silicon oil. Remembering that RCA used this on its discs, I asked why. He said that silicon actually will embed itself into the plastic structure which in turn protects the gear from premature wear.

Out of curiosity...I'm curious as to if the oil on the discs are removed a little at a time with each play and if the topic I posted about finding a new oil substitute replaces the oil. Just something for thought.

Also...he actually suggest the silicon oil used for the differential gear on R/C cars & trucks. I can remember this oil and know for a fact that it is thin and I never had a problem with the plastic gears. That was when the Team Associated's RC10T was first introduced...and I still have it and I've never had to change the oil or the gears. They still turn smoothly. Upon taking the 10T's tranny apart, the gears were still clean and showed no wear. They still looked brand new! I plan on ordering some of this oil and testing it on another problematic disc I have. I'll post the results both here and on my webpage.

Keep Those CEDs Playing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: