CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May have found a new oil substitute!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: May have found a new oil substitute! Reply with quote

I have to confess...I accidentally got some oil on my test disc (doesn't have a caddy but makes a great test tool). After wiping off as much as I could, I tested the disc.

The movie seemed to work better where the oil had splattered than any where else on the disc. So...I took another chance, I coated the entire disc with this oil and wiped away all excess with a soft sponge. I played the disc again this time with excellent results. Where the disc used to skip alot, the new oil seemed to minimize this quite a bit to just a flicker which went away after a few plays.

What I used was, surprise, Zebco oil for fishing reels. Caution, this oil is thicker than that RCA used and if not used properly can damage your player! What I did was put a very light coating of oil on one corner of the sponge and spread it over the entire disc, one side at a time. I then took a soft, lint-free cloth and wiped the disc down to a smooth shine and removed excess oil.

I have 2 player, one with a poor needle and one with a near new needle. I allowed the disc to play once on the poor needle to "re-groove" the disc without watching the disc (left the TV off in otherwords). Then, I played it with the new needle. The disc played very well.

I will try to find a way to make a manual for this available for free but if I have to mail it, I'll need funds to replace mailing costs. When this manual is available I'll post it here for those interested!

KEEP THOSE CEDS PLAYING

END OF LINE
Reinhart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: May have found a new oil substitute! Reply with quote

mnallard wrote:
I have to confess...I accidentally got some oil on my test disc (doesn't have a caddy but makes a great test tool). After wiping off as much as I could, I tested the disc.

The movie seemed to work better where the oil had splattered than any where else on the disc. So...I took another chance, I coated the entire disc with this oil and wiped away all excess with a soft sponge. I played the disc again this time with excellent results. Where the disc used to skip alot, the new oil seemed to minimize this quite a bit to just a flicker which went away after a few plays.

What I used was, surprise, Zebco oil for fishing reels. Caution, this oil is thicker than that RCA used and if not used properly can damage your player! What I did was put a very light coating of oil on one corner of the sponge and spread it over the entire disc, one side at a time. I then took a soft, lint-free cloth and wiped the disc down to a smooth shine and removed excess oil.

I have 2 player, one with a poor needle and one with a near new needle. I allowed the disc to play once on the poor needle to "re-groove" the disc without watching the disc (left the TV off in otherwords). Then, I played it with the new needle. The disc played very well.

I will try to find a way to make a manual for this available for free but if I have to mail it, I'll need funds to replace mailing costs. When this manual is available I'll post it here for those interested!

KEEP THOSE CEDS PLAYING

END OF LINE

What are the ingredients of the oil used? And, I would guess that any oil, as long as it doesn't inhibit conduction of the disc, will work. But, it is probably a good idea to do what you suggest with silicone lubricant as opposed to anything else (particularly stuff that may contain petroleum distillates), which is what RCA used. But, it's still a cool discovery.

It is also possible that the fresh oil may have loosened any dust that may have been stuck to the old lube on the disc, causing the skipping problem. - Reinhart
harrison_bassist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anybody oppose this idea, Is it safe?
will the oil degrade/ damage the disc or stylus?

Mike G.
lebretsdad3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread interesting, wondering if something could be used to substitute for the original lubrication on CED's

Last night I experimented with a disc I just got.

The disc looked fine after visually inspecting it (I always do this before playing a disc for thi first time).
But upon attempting to play it, I discovered it was problematic in that there were blips in the video, tracking errors, and visual noise.

I cleaned it with a hand held LP record cleaner wand.
The disc still had the problems in video.

I then decided I had nothing to lose; so I lightly sprayed the cleaning wand with a silicone lubricant and cleaned the CED again.

The disc played perfectly.

I'm curious as to if any of you out there may have tried silicone spray on CED's.
It worked this time for me.
But I don't know if I should trust this possibly harmful option.
mnallard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I might sound like someone who doesn't know his stuff...but I'm only posting what I discovered on accident. This is how mold from bread became a cure. As to answer your questions about if it's safe...the movie that accidentally got the oil on it (remember...this movie was stuck in the player when I got it off ebay) still plays perfect. And, yes, this procedure can be hazardous if you use the wrong oils.

Look at some facts...

1) RCA sprayed a light coating of a very thin oil on the discs to protect both them and the player.

2) Oils, in general, either deteriorate or become "clumpy" over time and use. And if the oil becomes sticky...it will trap any minute debri causing a skip or imperfection in the playback of the disc. It can also cause the stylus to literally vibrate causing undesired playback.

3) For an oil to be this good...someone, somewhere, out there, has still got to be manufacturing this oil.

I'm not being defensive and yes...I understand your concerns. But I wouldn't do anything to intentionally harm my collection of players and movies. But, I'm also one that cleans my discs with warm water and a cleaning agent (that contains no ammonia, bleach or other harmful chemicals) to keep my CEDs in the best possible shape I can. What's amazing is after I wash them, they shine like new and, in general, play better. The oil thing was an accident and, yes...I played the disc, thinking that it would not play again on those spots, but I was surprised to find out that it did the opposite and I only posted it thinking that someone out there might know more or a better way to sort of "re-lube" the discs. Just as with the players, the discs may also need to be re-lubed in a timely manner. No one knows other than those who worked for RCA.

If I discover that this is not safe or if anyone who has tried this finds it a threat to either the disc or player (or both), I expect that the word will get passed along. I'm actually suprised some else did this. I would think that a clean synthetic oil would not be harmful as it doesn't contain the crude ingredients as your other motor oils.

Keep in mind...I'm actually the one risking my collection by trying to find a similar oil to that on the discs so that others might be able to salvage a poor playing CED if just long enough to copy it. I'm currently using a sewing machine oil (not the 3-n-1 but the small "sample" that comes with new machines) for testing. My guinea player is the SGT-075 with a poor needle. I have no concerns because the SGT-075 is my "test" player and the movies I'm testing are poor duplicates. So far, the oil is working better and is alot thinner than the Zebco oil mentioned earlier. This is one of those at-your-own-risk and last-hope decisions to save a CED.

Good Luck and Happy CEDing!
lebretsdad3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mentioning washing CED’s interests me. I haven’t yet tried that.

I do, however, wash LP’s and 78’s with tepid water and dish detergent.
This method works better for me than many commercial record cleaning fluids (which tend to deposit gunk in the grooves, resulting in added surface noise).
To the same end, I use rubbing alcohol on Edison Diamond Discs and spray furniture polish on celluloid surfaced cylinder records. With very good results.
And with no apparent harm to the records (over a period of more than a decade).

So there is precedence for using unorthodox cleaning methods which result in improvement of the records’ condition and playback.
I’m thinking the same might be true for CED washing.

Along this line, I have a question:

I have noticed that some of my CED’s, which otherwise show little wear or use, have apparent smears and/or blotches on them (I’m not talking the pitting/rubbing/scrapes one might find on improperly stored discs).

I’m wondering if the smears/blotches may be the original coating having broken down in some way.

I do notice that the smeared/blotched discs play with some video difficulty.
Could washing help these discs?
And could oil/silicone help these discs?
mnallard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have actually learned that these smudges can be removed, but I suggest using a 100% cotton cloth or towel. There is one trick you can do while you are washing these that can remove the smudges and allow you feel for any stubborn debri that won't budge. I've been doing this method since I was about 14 years old an it hasn't failed me yet as I actually used it to save a majority of the used discs my family collected at the end of the CED era.

With your disc "lathered" up, you can actually take your finger and gently rub it over the soiled spots. Start slowly at first so that if you do feel any grit, you won't harm the grooves. When you feel confident enough with what you are doing and sure that there's no grit, you can rub in a still gentle but more rhytmatic pattern. Note: You are not going to harm the oils. If anything, you will revive the oil in that spot.

Use your towel to "buff" the disc dry being careful to not go in a circular pattern like you would with a CD or DVD, but instead try to follow the grooves like you would with conventional LPs and 45s with a cleaning brush. If your cleaning brush is clean enough (Very CLEAN) you can use that as well for I've tried that too with good results.

Another thing that you can do BEFORE putting the disc back in its caddy is to clean the felt strips that are supposed to clean the disc when removed and inserted into the caddy. For this procedure, I use q-tips and rubbing alchohol. Similar to a record brush (even the best ones!), repeated use of trapping dirt and debri will eventually lead to them getting dirty as well.

If you wish, and are completely sure that all harmful grit and debri are removed, you can apply some oil, but sparingly. Don't use too much. Do this only as a last resort if you must and make sure that the disc is completely dry before doing this. Also, you might want to play the disc and check the trouble spots (or just let it play) before adding oil.

Hope this helps and good luck!

PS...Make sure that you hold the disc by the outer edge and center hole, try not to pick it up in any other way if possible. Also, there are occassions where a disc may be too far gone for anything to help it.
Justin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the oil you suggested and it accualy mad the movie play better. on side 2 at 40 minutes of play the disc wouldgo into a scrambled picture and the audio would cut out and the visual search did nothing to it. so i re oiled it with the oil suggested and the movie played better and no cutting out and no skips.
mnallard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give you guys the reason why this works. Hope you remember your science classes from high school.

Rule 101...Newton's laws of physics plays a big role in videodiscs. The less friction you can give during playback the less flaws you'll get. Like a car, the grade and age of the oil determine how smooth your engine runs. The fresh oil on the disc reduces the friction between the stylus and grooves while allowing the player to still receive a signal.

Those of you with vinyl records that have excessive popping...try this one!
Coat the track that you want to hear with a generous amount of old fashioned rubbing alcohol. Do NOT dry the liquid off. Play the track with the track coated and hear the difference. The same principal is done with the fresh oil on a disc.

Also...I've went to LaserDisc. I will continue to support the CEDs because of their technology. Something about the needle thing just amazes me.

Keep those CEDs playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: