CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stylus arm advance question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cedwaechter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Stylus arm advance question Reply with quote

The stylus arm in one of my players is having problems advancing to play the disc. When you start the disc it advances to the beginning of the disc and the counter will start at zero, but will not advance any further to play the disc. If you fast forward, the stylus arm advances and the counter begins, but the stylus arm returns back to the start position and will not advance at all. Any suggestions? And by the way it is a SANYO player that I took as a project. I would assume that all CED players have similar issues. Any help would be great!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Sanyo is a unique player all to itself. Blindfury, as I recall, has one. Maybe he has some ideas.

But anyway, if you decide to sell it or want to trade it, post that here.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could tell ya what to check but I really don't know. I will check to see if I have a sanyo manual but I don't remember having one, let alone hearing of one Sad Closest I have seen to what you are describing is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqQExplrc8U I still have yet to check certain ic's on that player so I have no idea at the moment what could cause this Sad

btw i sent you an email!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That fast forward on the RCA player video looks an awful lot like when the stylus is hanging at an angle instead of straght down. Did you try another stylus on it? It could be something else, however.

Charlie once posted a message about this issue and how to turn the stylus on the cartridge so that it is straight and not at an angle. He said to let the stylus drop down by lowering the holding wire and see if it hangs at an angle.

If it does, one may turn the pin rivet that's holding the stylus lead wire to the cart and this will straighten up the stylus tip and resolve the problem.

If the Sanyo is still a problem for you and you cannot resolve it, I'd be interested in it.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried multiple styli in it, all tested and working by cedatum first Sad I have to dig around in the service manual, check voltages for the stylus arms section on the board, maybe switches. I haven't had the chance to mess with it yet as I moved on to other players worth more than that sft-100. In fact, until these servo belt problems get solved i.e. an actual correct belt, suitable motor replacement, or whole redesign of the servo motor contraption haha. I wont likely be working on f/g models anymore. I have tried everything on so many players. 3 different kinds of belts or fixes, new servo motors. Anything I could think of and I still get players that wont progress correctly, whether it gets stuck at 3 minutes, 10, 20, 30 or 58 minutes.

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see, but the Sanyo is a unique player, right, not an SGT or SFT clone, or am I wrong?

So I guess you didn't have luck with the servo belt fix I use? I have done it on several players and all are still operating well, as have others done it as well with positive results.

I did also consider another method of fixing it which is more involved:

1. Get a small plastic pulley of this type that can be epoxied to the thin motor shaft.

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/6-2a-small-plastic-pulley-belt-for-toys-belt/161821351.html

2. Using the same O-rings I used in my initial fix put in place, but this time the original flat belt would not be needed for friction purposes, as the pully would take it's place.

Or alternately, create a groove in the convex top pulley, similar to what's done for the Toshiba player drive belts, and then you'd only need a single belt or o-ring from lower to upper pulley.

I suppose the groove could be created with a u-shaped carving tool, using the pulley motor itself as the lathe motor.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep sanyo is a completely different build than the rest. Was just showing the closest thing I have ever seen to what he is describing. If there was any similarity it would be a bad stylus arm function ic? I cant remember what it is actually called on the board at the moment.

The belts, sadly I could not get them to work Sad I tried it on two players and it just dead stops the stylus arm and wont move at all Sad Weak motors? Idk. I kept them to try on other players though!

I want to find a really good replacement like you say with the new pulley and a groove on top to use an o ring. Something has to be done as these are all just band aids. Its to the point where I don't buy f/g models anymore since the last 5-6 have had nothing but trouble on that stupid servo belt. WTF was rca thinking? I wish I knew how to get the belts made. Is there a company who does that? I'd buy thousands if just fixed the problem, plus others could get it if I bought tons!

I almost feel like two vhs pinch rollers or the like could work too! Or two of the j/k rubber wheels that load and unload disc!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens in the o-ring fix I developed is that sometimes the big o-ring will rub on the small one that's used as a spacer. That causes it to stall.

The big o-ring will only work properly if the flat belt is still on the system, and the big o-ring is on top of the flat belt. In cases where it stalls, which is not too often, I put a dab of petro jelly on the outside edge of the small o-ring to stop the friction, and that does the job.

Rather than try a fix that's complicated, I plan to work on the one I already use and refine it so that it does not snag or stall.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed your directions, I think I have pics and video of it still. Obviously I didn't use any petroleum jelly to stop the the two o rings from sticking. Which is a great idea! I will try it again at some point with the petroleum.

Complicated or not it still needs a real fix otherwise it will just go bad like the rest of the solutions. Do you know if the o rings go bad at any point? Do they dry out? Will the petro stay put and not dry out after years of use/non-use? I mean no offense I am just asking questions to get answers I wonder about. Again does anyone know how to get belts made? I am not against investing money to get 1000's of belts made so our supply will last. That would be the easiest way to fix this right?

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The o-rings are more durable than any belt of the same size you can buy, don't dry out and hold their shape through lots of use, but they aren't flat so they need the flat belt as a supplemental belt to work. I tried all different sorts of ways to come up with a solution, and this was the only one that worked at all. But I just got an idea today of an alteration to this solution that may work better, Just need to see if the size part I want is in the store where I get these things.

I have the first player fixed this "mickey mouse" way still going after a two years. The petro jelly is inert, doesn't effect the o-ring (made to withstand all sorts of oils) and won't migrate much or dry out.

I wonder where you could go to get the correct flat belt made? I have searched all over for the correct size belt to no avail. Maybe CEDatum has some idea on this, since they manufactured some stuff.

Maybe it's possible to get the right width belt and cut it to size lengthwise and then ahese it together in some way. But here's the catch, it must be exactly the right diameter or it either slips or binds.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, cant wait to see the new way you are thinking of! Thanks for the answers too!

I really want to find some company that will produce belts for me Sad I would so love to have the correct belt replacement in a material that wont go bad fast. There has to be a company that will do it.

The next player that I do happen across f/g style I will try the servo o ring again with some petroleum on it!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: