CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying VideoDiscs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nokorola

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Buying VideoDiscs Reply with quote

I'd bought/ found 6-10 Selectavision videodiscs over the last 8 years, but then about 1 1/2 years ago I bought 15-20 discs for less than $1 each at a local thrift store and then around 8 months ago I got another 10ish discs with a player (finally!) I got from a nice older couple in my area who found the lot in the basement of their new house and finally wanted rid of them. They just wanted to find them a good home, so my interest in it got it all for $5.

But anyway... My local goodwill received the first bunch of CEDs I've ever seen there (but evidently a few weeks ago since their price tag color was already on sale). I bought 5 discs (Modern Problems, One Flew Over... [2 discs], Volunteers, Blade Runner), and left about 42 behind. They were prices at $5 each, but I talked the manager down to $1 each from the $2.50 each they were on sale for. So my question is, if I can get them for $1 each should I buy the others? With the right audience can I get $1 each out of them if I want to sell them later? I unfortunately didn't think to record the titles, but I know that Godfather 1&2 (4 discs) was among them. At least half were single disc titles.

Any thoughts related to this strange question will be appreciated.

-Phillip
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience, only buy the discs you want for yourself unless they are rare titles. I have about 1,000 discs that I've been trying to unload but no body even wants them. I'd go as low as .25 cents per disc and still no one wants them even for that price. Mainly because 99 percent of the population doesn't even know what they are. But when I'm shopping I like to be around $1 per disc if I'm buying a decent sized lot with good discs. Most craigslist scores I've come across have been anywhere from .11 cents per disc up to $2 or $3 dollars per disc, which I usually talk them down from. So in your case at $1 per disc I would just buy the ones I want for myself, or like I said any rare or hard to find discs. I'd be happy to let you know if there are any rare or hard to find ones there if you want to go back to the store and give me a call while your looking at them. A lot easier to read the titles then to make a list. Hope that helps. 507-380-3787, leave a voicemail if I don't answer and I'll listen to it and get back to you right away. I work 8-5 and I'm not supposed to take calls at work but I call you back no prob. Thanks.

Josh
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volunteers is a good find! any discs that were made near the end of production are good finds in my opinion!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$1 per disc is a darn good price for sellers for most titles nowadays. I think you'd lose money. except on the rare ones.
Nokorola

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I know that the answer is always yes, but is the general consensus that I should try to get the price down to $.50 or $.25 each? I just didn't want to rip off GoodWill, since they do good things. What I hate is the price inconsistency, since a few months ago I got some laserdiscs for $1.99 each at their sticker price.

Thanks for the input everyone, and I'll be going back there in the next few days to get those titles.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try to get them for a quarter each if I'm buying all of the discs at once.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey just wanted to let you know I got the voicemail. Nothing that I need but I did hear quite a few good titles in there that are deff worth more than $1. I accidentally deleted the voicemail so I don't remember off hand what they are but just keep an eye on ebay and you'll see what they go for. Just keep in mind when your selling outside of ebay that ebay charges fee's and paypal charges fee's so adjust your prices accordingly. Personally I don't like selling anything on ebay as there is far too much that can go wrong and it always seems that by the time the fee's and shipping come out there usually isn't much meat left on the bone. If your not a member yet, there are several CED/Selectavision groups on facebook for people that buy sell and trade. A great place to cut out the middle man. Well best of luck. Enjoy.
Nokorola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Pics and list Reply with quote

Just thought I'd share the list of movies since I ended up getting them.

50 Disks (including the 5 I got Initially):

-Modern Problems
-One Flew Over... [2 discs]
-Volunteers
-Blade Runner
-American Flyers
-The Falcon and the Snowman (disc 1 only Sad )
-Slapstick of Another Kind
-Conan The Destroyer
-The New Centurions
-Iceman
-Tender Mercies
-Hawaii (Part One & Two - Two Discs)
-Heart Like a Wheel
-Moses Part Two (2 copies, odd)
-No Small Affair (I watched this, it's a good movie with Jon Cryer)
-Improper Channels (2 discs)
-Zelig
-The Horse Soldiers
-Eyes of Laura Mars
-Bonnie & Clyde
-Heaven's Gate (2 discs) - 2 copies
-The Cincinnati Kid
-The Candidate
-The Godfather (2 discs)
-The Godfather II (2 discs)
-Brubaker
-Dirty Harry
-Kelly's Heroes
-Silkwood
-Little House on The Prairie
-The Pink Panther Strikes Again
-Love and Death
-Quest for Fire
-A Man For All Seasons
-Dr. Zhivago
-Tank
-Catch-22
-Annie Hall

--Image of the bunch: http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/4920/hk5v.jpg

Good stuff (and lots of movies to check out).

-Phillip
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say thats a good assortment of movies! congrats
Nokorola

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the topic without wasting forum space, are the Sears branded Hitachi machines solid? There's one locally for $15 and a spare machine seems smart.

-Phillip
I love this stuff!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my hitachi and it works great, but if they break parts are harder to find...
Nokorola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
i love my hitachi and it works great, but if they break parts are harder to find...

Thanks for the input, I decided to go for it, and the guy actually took another $5 off the sale price so it was only $10 (with disc 1 of Star Trek). I replaced the two liquified belts with small rubber bands for now, but it really needs cleaned correctly before any real solution will work. It seems to work well, and if anyone cares it's the model 934.57480150. Now I just need to find a remote for it.

-Phillip
I love this stuff!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to get the right belts as soon as you can for it. I like those models as well, and have the stereo Sears player which, being in top shape, works great and is quiet.

Remotes are a bit tough to find. It is possible to get a wired remote fro another type of video unit and adapt it for use with the player if you are technically inclined. I find that I really don't use the remotes too much with the CED players I have.
slatton86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a few. I'm a little short on cash, but maybe we could do some trading. I get paid next Friday, November first I think is the date.

Dr Zhivago
Little house
The godfathers
Bonnie and Clyde

My wife is liking the idea of decorating with these and laserdiscs so I have to get some she likes too.

Also don't feel bad about ripping off goodwill, they make money buy taking advantage of their disabled workers, paying them less then minimum wage and expecting them to be happy just because they have a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: