CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone help with my realistic CED player?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Can anyone help with my realistic CED player? Reply with quote

First I want to give CEDatum credit for the RCA and Hitachi stylus' I got from them. The RCA stylus is working great and I'm sure the Hitachi does as well, what I saw of it looked great anyway.

My problem with the Realistic 16-301 (CED-1) is that it will not raise the stylus, instead the stylus stays down and scrapes the edge of the disc. I was able to watch side 1 of a movie after gently lifting the stylus onto the disc with a nut picker that I wrapped some felt around. The back of the stylus (I forget the name of the part) is magnetized and I can't find any shorts or disconnected wires on the tone arm or anywhere in the player for that matter. The old stylus would raise and lower properly so I know the function did work.

I have basically rebuilt this player. I bought it on eBay with a lot of movies, and it was destroyed in shipping. When first unboxed I could not even fit a disc in past an inch or so.

I spent the better part of my childhood fixing VCR's and NES systems, so I am familiar with 80's tech. Currently I make a hobby and somewhat of a living restoring mostly 90's video games and consumer electronic, I also do tube amps every once in a while.

This one has me stuck for now and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking about firing up "VooDoo II Gamer" for this, but I'm using my wife's Windows 8 pad/laptop instead.

P.S. I have seen complaints in the forums about CED movies on eBay being expensive crap most of the time. I am going to start selling these for 8.50 with free shipping, with the option for a best offer when buying multiples. I have cleaned many vinyl records from thrift stores, and I have tried my methods on a few movies I have and it seems to work quite well. I watched Rocky 3 this morning and the first time I played the disc it wouldn't stop skipping long enough to hear one word or get through the opening scene for that matter. I have about 25 to start with.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is you seller id on ebay?
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be selling them under jslatton86. I'll let everyone know when "Josh's Comps n' Games" is official and what the seller ID will be.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how are you cleaning the discs?

Do you have another good Hitachi stylus you can try? That's the first thing I would do. Normal position is for the stylus to always be up high enough to clear the disc edge when moved over the disc, then drop into place. If you lifted it and drop it manually, of course it could work then even with a stylus problem.

I have had RCA SJT/SKT models that had turntables out of position too high that caused this problem. Adjusting the turntable to proper height allowed the stylus to move into proper position. With these models, one will hear a light clicking sound as the stylus drops onto the disc. I have seen RCA stylus be out of kilter enough to cause problems. I suppose a Hitachi stylus could be the same way perhaps.

Also, maybe in your rebuild, you got the turntable too high? Is there an adjustment to lower it a little?
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about the turntable at first, but then I remembered that I seen the dead stylus raise and lower as needed. I wish I did have another to try because I'm killing this one with my trial and error. I sent mine in to CEDatum for a rebuild, it was in terrible shape and a bad diamond so he replaced with one he already had rebuilt. I can't find any tech info about this player such as a service manual to help me out.

This is the first player I have ever put my hands on and I basically had to do a blind rebuild. That said, with the piece on the back of the cartridge being magnetized as I am assuming it should be, it looks like voltage should come in just behind the stylus and pull that piece backwards to raise it. I have noticed those part in the tone arm is connected to the red light in...

You know what, I'm just going to take some pictures.
slatton86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be on to something with the stylus. Since its night time and quiet, I noticed while try to take pictures that there is a click inside the arm just after getting above the disc, and just before returning. With each click the stylus bounces a little like it tried to raise/lower but it didn't actually happen.

Couldn't get good pictures, I'll have to open the curtains tomorrow and try again.

This player must have a curse on it for the stylus, lol. I'm not sure what happened to the one I got with the player. It was bent.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hitachi players do not have a turntable height adjustment from what i have seen in mine, the turntable motor is not belt driven its direct drive, so below the spindle is all the hardware for the turntable, if you could call it that. sadly i have all kinds of service literature for rca players but havent found anything hitachi yet...
slatton86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give John a call today and see if he can she'd some light on the issue. I'm going to feel like an idiot if it is the stylus which is pretty banged up now, and could have been a simple exchange. I would say 90% of the damage was done the first time this happened though. I'll get pictures up later today.

My son (4 years old) has been watching movies on the rca since he's been home sick the few days. I think it is awesome when my kids watch the movies, play the games, and read the books that I did as a kid.
slatton86

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With help from John at CEDatum, looks like it is a weak lifter. Unfortunately I don't think the stylus is going to work any more though. This player isn't really worth it to me to get the stylus rebuilt again so I am going to list it on eBay for 99 cents some time in the next few days.

Also keep an eye out for CED movies and I currently have laserdisc movies listed with lots more to come.

Thanks everyone here and John.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of surprised they won't make good on the stylus? Di you damage it too much?

That's the starting price for an auction, right? Too bad you don't keep it. Maybe somebody here has a stylus they would sell you for a good price.
slatton86

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is damaged pretty bad. He stayed on the phone with me while I tested things. He said if I was interested I could send the stylus back and he can check it out. I'm thinking now I might do that and get this thing going and sold as a working mono player. I fixed the lifter with a spring from a vcr in my scrap pile, that lust happen to use pretty much the exact same spring on the eject mechanism. The stylus will not play anymore though, just some fuzz then it returns home. It is raising and lowering correctly though.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to be clear for everyone, was that spring located in the stylus arm or in the cartridge itself?
slatton86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring was in the stylus arm. You get to it by removing the cartridge, remove the two Philips head screws on either end of the slot, remove the plastic, and the spring will be in plain site closer to the back of ware the cart would be.. Try not ti hit yourself in the eye with it while removing it, I didn't launch it personally but I can see how it could happen.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a bummer cus there is one on ebay right now with a remote for pretty cheap!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131027266351?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
slatton86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was basically the same description I bought mine with. When I got it the loading tray was bent, the servo and loading belts were broken, and of course a bad stylus and a weak spring on the lifter. I would probably do pretty good with this if I were to get it since I've already had a practice machine. With so much info available for the RCA players though, I would rather get one of those.

I don't work much in the winter and CED seems pretty popular among nerds since James Rolfe's video at www.cinemassacre.com so I am wondering if it would be a good investment to help get me through.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An RCA one is the ticket, esp if you want a wireless remote.

That one on ebay is okay but I'd go for a stereo model if I wanted that type. You have to watch out on packing these Hitachi types as they are supposed to have an insert placed into the tray before packing. The original insert is plastic, but one can be made out of cardboard.

I have a really nice and quiet Sears stereo model that came in factory box & manual, but I had to explain about the insert to make sure it was packed right anyway.

Still undecided on keeping it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: