CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Videodisc Player in Airport `77 Movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Videodisc Player in Airport `77 Movie Reply with quote

I found myself watching an old disaster flick from the 1970s, Airport `77, it was shown right after the original Airport which debuted in 1970. Anyways the moral of the story is such that about 1/4 of the way through the movie, as the passengers are getting acclimated to the plane, one of the stewardesses opens a cabinet door revealing a panel video screen and out slides a videodisc player. No not an RCA model (this was 1977) but one that was identical to the one featured on the cover of the Feb. 77 issue of Popular Science. Not much is shown, the stewardess pulls out the cabinet tray, opens the video unit, inserts a disc (metallized both sides like on the cover of Popular Science), closes the machines, pushes a button, slides it back into the wall and a video begins playing on the screen. Nothing more of the device is shown throughout the movie, and except for the Popular Science magazine, the only known (to me) physical existence of these early players. I know that Airport is available on CED, although I do not think any of the other Airports though.

I am sure I am not the first person to notice this, but given I have seen all of the Airport movies, sometimes many more times than once, I have only noticed this the other day. The movie was released in 1977 however in production mostly in 1976. So the player had to have been one of the earliest to be created.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: RE: Videodisc Player in Airport `77 Movie Reply with quote

This brief segment form "Airport '77" has intrigued me for a long time, because it gives DiscoVision collectors an example of a DiscoVision player being used in an actual DiscoVision movie, something we don't have with CED. But at least we do have the background appearance of a Sanyo VDR3000 player in the CED movie "Max Dugan Returns."

The DiscoVision player in "Airport '77" is a Magnavision prototype notable for having a transparent lid over the disc, as this area was opaque on the production system. And if you look carefully at the segment, it's apparent that the LaserDisc is "floppy" in contrast to the rigid LaserDiscs that were later marketed.

I made a QuickTime clip of this segment for Blaine at the DiscoVision site back in 1997, and he's still got it up, although the clip is now from a widescreen DVD rather than the original DiscoVision title:

http://www.blam1.com/DiscoVision/Multimedia.htm

The above page also has the DiscoVision fanfare, which generally can only be played from the start on early top-load LaserDisc players using a HeNe tube laser. Later front-load models with a diode laser start playing the disc in the middle of the fanfare.

--Tom Howe
planetcadillac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: More on DiscoVision and CED Reply with quote

Had anyone determined that it was Jimmy Stewart that actually appeared on that DiscoVision disc and not just a simulated video? I am not an expert on DiscoVision and only casually perused the Blam sight, it would have been necessary for MCA to have done a one-off pressing for production of that movie only. Of course back then, DiscoVision was only a prototype medium, and the movie was produced before the Popular Science article came out when very few people even knew of the technology's existence. The player used in the movie looked virtually identical to the 8000 model player that MCA-Philips Magnavox marketed ads with pictures of the units are on that Blam site.

I simply do not remember those early DiscoVision players. What is interesting, however, is that that DiscoVision technology basically led to what we have now, DVDs or optically read media. All that while when the Discovision players came out that were utter disasters. Both in terms of marketing and in terms of product quality. When they worked they were great but the players were junk and the discs themselves even more so. RCA was leaps and bounds over MCA-Philips when the CED system was introduced in 1981. However as The Videophile magazine wrote in 1981, CED technology was at the very peak of its form when it was introduced. Even if CED was a hit, it is always a curious discussion as to how far CED would have actually gone, since it was the 'record' function that original sold people on the VCR. Nowadays its hard to find people that actual tape using their VCRs. Now VCRs are fading fast like casette tapes. Everything is going to 3.5" CDs. Perhaps that was the ultimate evolution of technology anyways. As much as I enjoy my SKT400 as part of my home entertainment system, we recently signed up for Netflix, the mail-order DVD rental service and have begun watching all sorts of movies. Yes I realize that the CEDs are 20+ years old now and the DVDs are state-of-the art but most of the movies have been remastered into surround and Dolby DTS 5.1 audio. You simply cannot top that experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Reinhart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: More on DiscoVision and CED Reply with quote

planetcadillac wrote:
Had anyone determined that it was Jimmy Stewart that actually appeared on that DiscoVision disc and not just a simulated video? I am not an expert on DiscoVision and only casually perused the Blam sight, it would have been necessary for MCA to have done a one-off pressing for production of that movie only. Of course back then, DiscoVision was only a prototype medium, and the movie was produced before the Popular Science article came out when very few people even knew of the technology's existence. The player used in the movie looked virtually identical to the 8000 model player that MCA-Philips Magnavox marketed ads with pictures of the units are on that Blam site.

It is a simulated picture. The disc shown on that movie scene was a prototype disc, just like the player.

planetcadillac wrote:
I simply do not remember those early DiscoVision players. What is interesting, however, is that that DiscoVision technology basically led to what we have now, DVDs or optically read media. All that while when the Discovision players came out that were utter disasters.

DiscoVision not only lead to modern reflective optical media, but DiscoVision is also what a lot of people know of as LaserDisc.

planetcadillac wrote:
Both in terms of marketing and in terms of product quality. When they worked they were great but the players were junk and the discs themselves even more so. RCA was leaps and bounds over MCA-Philips when the CED system was introduced in 1981.

Then again, Pioneer was technologically leaps and bounds over RCA when they assumed control of LaserDisc. The Pioneer VP-1000 outclassed the Magnavox MagnaVision VH-8000 by a lot, and Pioneer made better discs than DiscoVision ever did.

DiscoVision failed initially on the software front because MCA did not factor on various things, like clean room requirements for making LaserDiscs.

Philips failed on the hardware front because they were unwilling to make a player that could deal with less perfect discs and had a rather unusual manufacturing practice in place for the players (not to mention that the internal design quite simply sucks, having a chance to take a look inside when someone asked me to try and fix one of these suckers).

planetcadillac wrote:
However as The Videophile magazine wrote in 1981, CED technology was at the very peak of its form when it was introduced.

I would disagree on that. CED could have developed to the point where it would have implemented digital audio, for one.

planetcadillac wrote:
Even if CED was a hit, it is always a curious discussion as to how far CED would have actually gone, since it was the 'record' function that original sold people on the VCR.

Not just that, although that was the original point. CED also didn't take off because of the establishment of video rental. CED and LaserDisc were reliant on disc sales, where videodiscs sold for less than video cassettes. This was one of the points that Tom Howe raised on his CED FAQ, and keep in mind this is just one factor. Failure is usually never caused by one big factor, but by numerous factors that work in such a way that a failure occurs.

[quote="planetcadillac']Nowadays its hard to find people that actual tape using their VCRs. Now VCRs are fading fast like casette tapes. Everything is going to 3.5" CDs. Perhaps that was the ultimate evolution of technology anyways.

VCRs are still in widespread use. I've seen quite a few people not want to bother with recordable DVD and digital video recorders on the count of technophobia. I mean, a lot of people have difficulty hooking up a VCR and setting its clock, let alone using something more sophisticated. - Reinhart
DiscLord

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Magnavision player in Airport 77' Reply with quote

The Magnavox Magnavision Model 8000 used in Airport 77' was Lew Wassermans personal player - the crew borrowed it from his office along with a single disc from the film "AIRPORT" which is what Monica Lewis places on the turntable - she dosen't even shut the lid properly! I have some of the single-sided MCA Disco-Vision test pressings, and they still play fine on 'modern' LD players. The reason the player in the film has a clear top and the production models don't is that Philips lawyers became concerned about lawsuits due to new radiation laws being written at the time - they felt eliminating the clear top was the best option.

The 8000 introduced in Atlanta was made in the Netherlands and then shipped, in kit form, to Knoxville, for final assembly, alignment and conversion to CLV capability. Kit-based players continued for almost a year until Philips re-engineered the optical assembly and made the player compatible with the discs MCA was pressing - MCA had neglected to tell Philips, for a whole year, that they had relaxed the quality standards on discs. Pioneer, due to thier Universal-Pioneer relationship with MCA, knew about the 'new' disc standards and thus the VP-1000 and PR-7820 were fully compatible with MCA discs. The stories that MCA and Magnavox engineers have relayed to me are sometimes hard to believe, but true - it's amazing that the system worked and had the success that it did.

And no, RCA would not have been able to add PCM sound to CED discs - at least not with video also present. The slow, 450 RPM, speed meant that RCA was doing well to get 2.5 MHz of luma and .5 MHz of chroma bandwidth - and that was pushing it - the opinion at the time among engineers was that "RCA started with an inferior system and then worked backwards." Not to take anything away from what they DID achieve, but the system, as RCA designed it, just wasn't capable of more. That's why JVC made the choices they did with VHD-AHD. Heck, JVC even developed a High Definition version of VHD - it used the Hi-Vision MUSE-E compression system.

Cheers!
Ty C. Smile
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedmagic wrote:
I made a QuickTime clip of this segment for Blaine at the DiscoVision site back in 1997, and he's still got it up, although the clip is now from a widescreen DVD rather than the original DiscoVision title

Thats sad Tom....Why the crap did he replace it??

NOT ONLY THAT IT HAS NO AUDIO!!

I have seen this movie but I dont remember that being in it,pretty cool!!

I tried to find your original quicktime clip (I used the archive site but i could only get back to 2003 of his media library Sad)

I would have liked seeing your copy!!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try You Tube?

Of course, any material owned by Universal (MCA) is going to be swarmed over like flies on stinky. If the audio is disabled it's probably due to the will of Universal.

You can search You Tube and you will probably see pulldowns and terminations or disabled content or MAYBE the original if anyone is foolhardy to keep reposting and face termination for multiple compyright complaints.
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to play the clip using Media Player Classic-Home Cinema and it brought up the message that the player needs to close each time I tried.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bummer i wanna see this clip!
Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It played for me with Realplayer,im not sure if any other players recognise that format.... (.rm .ram) -- Maybe VLC does?? (Sometimes WMP will play .RM clips i try I noticed (Not all of them though))
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can try associating the files with VLC...I gon't even bother to DL Real when K-Lite Mega Download Pack has virtually everything I need in the first place (and my player DOES play everything except for the Airplane file, which eitheR suggests an old version of Real was employed not fully supported or some settings are not right.

I've seen it numerous times over the years though...those who were unaware might like to see it.

The file size doesn't seem to look right compared to the bumpers...137 kb?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all the players I have and it encounteresd an exception in every instanceand Windows asked to close it., except for VLC which won't even play Real Media.

I have no problems with Quicktime files.
Dude111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm I suppose you can goto www.mediaconverter.org and have it converted to WMV Smile (Which will play in WMP (Or should))

Good luck!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have VLC, this wont work on it? it plays just about everything else!
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iIf you can view it watching with Real then perhaps it's some kind of setting meant to keep it from being copied (hence the player errors causing closedown)?

I still think the size may not be reported correctly.
Dude111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded it again,IT IS 137KB (I would love finding Toms clip)
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far no hits that lead to it elsewhere...will look later.
Dude111

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed the guy and asked him why he removed Toms clip and replaced it with a piece of crap (I was nice about it) but the guy didnt reply! (No surprise.... No one bothers to reply to anyone anymore hardily...its sickening as hell!!)
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of these sites are essentially MATURE and not monitored a lot, probably haven't been updated in a few YEARS.

This can be typical for earlier sites like that. If there is not a lot of new subject, no new products (in the case of sites about obsolete products) then there really isn't much need.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Tom, Thanks for sharing! That's pretty cool. I just can't imagine a "floppy" laser disc!
SKT-100
blam1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiscLord and I actually have some of those "floppy" LaserDiscs!
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blam1 wrote:

do you have any pics? what titles are they? are they still flexible?
Dude111

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blam1 wrote:

Well Its good to see you here my friend!!!!!!!

I looked at the rest of your site and i like it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.. Joined in 2004 first post today!!

Congrats Smile
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why won't the file open in anything but Real apparently?

I can still open Quicktime (qt and mov) files with ease with my viewers, as evdenced by the clips of the guy with the KARD? and King of the Road sites, an old TV cameraman/engineer guy...been a while but I remember linking to a lot of things via Jeff Miller's site.
blam1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (stupidly) replaced the .MOV files on my web site with RealPlayer video files, because they were so much smaller. I should really go back and remake these files in something more up to date, for both download size and image resolution.
blam1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SelectaVision420 wrote:
blam1 wrote:

I can get you some pics, but I don't have any immediately handy.

I physically have discs for:

The Andromeda Strain
Day of the Jackal
The Marcus-Nelson Murders
The Railway Children
Sweet Charity

All titles are complete, with the exception of "Andromeda Strain" which is missing discs 1 & 5.
Dude111

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have quite a collection my friend!

What one is your favourite?
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blam1 wrote:
SelectaVision420 wrote:
blam1 wrote:

I can get you some pics, but I don't have any immediately handy.

I physically have discs for:

The Andromeda Strain
Day of the Jackal
The Marcus-Nelson Murders
The Railway Children
Sweet Charity

All titles are complete, with the exception of "Andromeda Strain" which is missing discs 1 & 5.

wow that would be cool! do you watch them from time to time?
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blam1 wrote:
I (stupidly) replaced the .MOV files on my web site with RealPlayer video files, because they were so much smaller. I should really go back and remake these files in something more up to date, for both download size and image resolution.

I'm not sure that it was all that "stupid" at the time because QT and 98 were just about mortal enemies until I discovered a good version of Media Player Classic...likewise, UltraPlayer 2.112 would not handle many Real files...I have been though so many media players in 17 years as WMP got progressively better and add-ons enhanced it to the point where I can play nearly anything unless scrambled with multiple formats and torrents (and you don't touch those for the content for the most part, as well as exploit threats).
Dude111

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 4 players and between them all I can usually play what I like Smile

1) VLC - Version 0.7 (www.videolan.org/vlc) -- A nice player
2) Realplayer 8 - LAST GOOD VERSION OF REALPLAYER! (AOL joined the team after this and the next release was ugly/pure trash)
3) Screamer player version 3.8 - A nice player! (www.screamer-radio.com)
4) WMP 9 - Best version of WMP (Goes downhill drasticly after this version)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: