CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hiya.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Wrong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Hiya. Reply with quote

I've always dug this site, I just wanted to stop in finally and say hi and tell you a little about how I found my way here.

I live in Indianapolis and grew up on the eastside, not too far from the Rockville road plant. My father sold electronics part time when I was growing up and while we didn't end up with CED (we had a big Sony Betamax instead) I remember the big display they had in the store and just being kind of fascinated with the technology.

Growing up were and when I did, it was impossible to not have at least a few friends with parents who worked at RCA. I never figured out who, if anyone, had anything to do with the videodisc project and it never occured to me to ask back then. It seemed like they all had a healthy library of CED discs and occasionally they'd begrudgingly let me play a movie, usually with bemusement that someone so young cared about what was then a dead format.

As I got older, I deveolped an interest in dead media for reasons I still haven't figured out. The CED has always interested me being that it's such a thing I associate with Indy and the discs are fairly easy to find around here. I've just recently started picking them up when I find stuff that looks interesting (I've already got three of the interactive discs, for example.)

For some reason, while discs are seemingly easy to find, I have yet to see a single player in the wild. I've always found that curious as I'm led to believe these things were built to last. Maybe I just have poor timing. I guess there's always eBay. Still, I hope to stumble across one soon. I'd really like to watch these movies.

Anyway, that's my story. I thought some of you might enjoy hearing from someone who grew up around these things. Really, having lived here all my life and knowing so many people who owned them (because they worked at RCA) I'd always assumed CED was a huge sucess. I guess that's what you get for growing up in an RCA town. Smile
Wester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, and...Enjoy your stay. Very Happy

Good to hear CED's are still plentiful somewhere.
mnallard

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Mate!

Really...let me know if you find The Last Starfighter. I haven't seen that movie in years and knowing that it's not on DVD...that's probably the only way I'll find it. Although I have noticed that since I've started collecting CEDs, they are slowly coming out on DVD...but I prefer CEDs. It's what I grew up around as well. Besides, putting an original stereo sound film track into 5.1 Dolby Digital just doesn't seem to work very well for some of these older movies.

Good to hear from someone who lived in RCA town. Happy CED hunting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: