CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The end all be All....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L8gr8harry

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: The end all be All.... Reply with quote

Ok as a newbie I'm going to throw this out for discussion. what is "the" player and "the" rarest of rare disks that everyone is after. There has to be the one that everyone ooh's and aaaah's over..so what is it in your opinion. (I'm going to guess not a lot of ooh and ahh over my 100w Smile

Harry
The RJ Special
-Zenith VP 2000 (SGT 200)
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im gona answer this one for a lot of people lol

SKT425
and prolly " a walk through the universe"

if i had both of those things, id be willing to sell my soul.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right. But you wouldn't want to sell your soul because if there is a Heaven you can have that player and disc there. If you sell your soul, you get the player now, but upon descent to Hell, you will be stuck with a barely operative low-end player with dirty channel output switch, and caddies of Walk through the Universe that have On Golden Pond in them by mistake.

Other than that selection above, the ones you can resonably expect to get that everyone seems to like are the SJT and SKT 400s, which I allways find to be superb players. As for discs, the two movie titles that regularly seem to bring in the big bucks are Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Zombie. Also a full set of the 5 Friday the 13th CEDs.

And then everyone has there personal favorites as well.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Yes, that's right. But you wouldn't want to sell your soul because if there is a Heaven you can have that player and disc there. If you sell your soul, you get the player now, but upon descent to Hell, you will be stuck with a barely operative low-end player with dirty channel output switch, and caddies of Walk through the Universe that have On Golden Pond in them by mistake.

i don't think i'm going to sleep well tonite Neutral
kitchensynch

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially after you contemplate that Jane Fonda is a hottie in her seventies...oh well Twisted Evil
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never was too keen on Jane Fonda after the Hanoi thing. And this weekend is Memorial Day weekend.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Never was too keen on Jane Fonda after the Hanoi thing. And this weekend is Memorial Day weekend.

cheers to that

Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Memories of Videodisc" was one of my best acquisitions, and most expensive! (This was the very last disc that was given to RCA employees in 1986 after disc manufacturing ended for good.) Also was very happy to get the RCA Video Communications discs (which I've put on Youtube for everyone to see), still trying to find Story of O which was a regular movie title on the MGM label that was not put out for sale, I think due to someone objecting to its quasi-DELETED content at the last minute.
CEDatum

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Rarest CED title. Reply with quote

CED collector community.

Don't forget the Blackhawk Films titles as candidates for the rarest titles.

Rare enough to not make it on the CEDMagic US titles database list.

For more info on the Blackhawk Films titles see our website:
www.cedatum.com and go to the CED notebook page.

JOhn at CEDatum
krbsforty

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answers would be a mint-in-the-box 300 or 400, and an early prototype CED which only played 30 minutes per side.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarest CED title. Reply with quote

CEDatum wrote:
CED collector community.

JOhn at CEDatum

i think there is only one other person i know with the blackhawk films, and they might not even be labeled
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also "Savage Streets" from Vestron, which isn't in the CED Magic list. I got one from an Ebay seller in Indiana, and someone I know on Facebook got one recently. Don't know how many of those were made or why it was decided not to put it out for sale after some had already been printed (no apparent issues with its content like "Story of O".)
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Also "Savage Streets" from Vestron, which isn't in the CED Magic list. I got one from an Ebay seller in Indiana, and someone I know on Facebook got one recently. Don't know how many of those were made or why it was decided not to put it out for sale after some had already been printed (no apparent issues with its content like "Story of O".)

its there just not on the visual title

Saturday the 14th {42995400465} U
Saturn 3 {24543900498} U
Savage Streets {28485050587} ER
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot that it was added as "ER" later- when I first heard of its existence it wasn't on the list then. So wondering if it was actually released or it just was produced and sold in an extremely small number, as the World War II discs (available only through mail-order) were.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
Forgot that it was added as "ER" later- when I first heard of its existence it wasn't on the list then. So wondering if it was actually released or it just was produced and sold in an extremely small number, as the World War II discs (available only through mail-order) were.

i have only ever seen a picture of one! i've never seen the wwII discs, let alone been able to buy them!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a loaded question newbie. Each person has their own opinion of what the best player and rarest disc is so you'll get multiple answers but it's a great conversation starter for enthusiasts. I think Tony hit the nail on the head with the rarest player, SKT425, with the only one in existence being a prototype owned by Tom Howe of the CED Magic site who managed to obtain it from a dumpster diver after the plant shut down. But there may be other players equally as rare such as other prototype players that were never released or even some of the special test players used in the factory to do quality checks on the discs being produced. But everyone will agree the SJT400 is top of the line for auto loaders and the SGT250 is the best of the best for manual load players.

As for rare discs, with the CED Magic database Tom has included every title that he has held in his hand and contained a different UPC than other discs. That's why you find Savage Streets and Story of O in the list even though they were never officially released. If you want to get into the rarest of rare, there are the test discs used in the factory to test player or titles where the disc was produced but no label was made. Many of these titles may just have 1 or 2 in existence. I have a disc called Tribute to Toscanini that was used as an internal test disc. There is information about these discs on the CED Magic website if you use the search feature. But as for the rarest of the released discs, the dealer only discs like the video systems disc and the RCA Monitors and Communication's discs are pretty hard to come by. I think that Zombie and Texas Chainsaw Masacure aren't necessarily rare as they are just more sought after. I see far fewer titles of Tubby the Tuba, The Playboy Workout video, The Little Prince, Carlin at Carnegie, and A Hard Days Night, just to name a few. There are more and they do show up just not as frequently. If you wait long enough you can find anything.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas Chainsaw and Zombie are not so rare, but I put them up only because there are some people who seem to have to bust a gut until they get a copy and drive the prices up. And they reasonably can be gotten, whereas some of the rarest cannot.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
I see far fewer titles of Tubby the Tuba, The Playboy Workout video, The Little Prince, Carlin at Carnegie, and A Hard Days Night, just to name a few. There are more and they do show up just not as frequently. If you wait long enough you can find anything.

i have carlin at carnegie but i have been searching high and low for carlin on campus!
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete opposite for me Tony. I have Carlin on Campus but have been searching high and low for Carlin at Carnegie. I found one once but after I bought it he emailed me and said he went to check it out before he sent it and the disc the missing out of the caddy.
SelectaVision420

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ketonic_dude wrote:
Complete opposite for me Tony. I have Carlin on Campus but have been searching high and low for Carlin at Carnegie. I found one once but after I bought it he emailed me and said he went to check it out before he sent it and the disc the missing out of the caddy.

oh bummer! Crying or Very sad sometimes when im not looking for a disc is when i find it Cool

i guess right now if i wanted 40 discs i could have it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CED-LOT-OF-40-DISCS-/190847053846?pt=US_Movies_Other_Formats&hash=item2c6f5ef016
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kitchensynch wrote:
Especially after you contemplate that Jane Fonda is a hottie in her seventies...oh well Twisted Evil

Now I"M not going to sleep well either.
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarest CED title. Reply with quote

CEDatum wrote:
CED collector community.

JOhn at CEDatum

John, do you have any of these?
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krbsforty wrote:
My answers would be a mint-in-the-box 300 or 400, and an early prototype CED which only played 30 minutes per side.

That would be nice, maybe even " Get Smart" .
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange. The very first haul I ever got was in Winchester Ky. I found it on Craigs list, listed as a player SGT-200 and 50 discs for 1700 dollars! I emailed the guy back and forth for a day, and finally convinced the guy that the player and discs weren't worth anywhere near what he was asking. I offered him 50 dollars for the player and discs, and he agreed! Winchester Ky was 50 miles where I live, so my wife and I considered it an adventure and took our 50.00 and away we went! The player only needed a stylus, played perfectly after I replaced it. But that wasn't the interesting thing. in that pile of discs, out on the middle of nowwhere, I picked up 35 titles. One was Gas Pump Girls (caddy only) Catch the Wave (the Aloha disc) The 1984 RCA products guide, Carlin at Carnigie, and a test disc that had no cover. I played the Catch the Wave disc, and gave it to a buddy who helped me get back into CEDs, (i'm glad my buddy has it!!!) the Catch the wave and products guide. I said all that to say this. You never know where or when you will pick up the mother lode! Maybe even in Kentucky out in the boondocks!!!!!!!!!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange. The very first haul I ever got was in Winchester Ky. I found it on Craigs list, listed as a player SGT-200 and 50 discs for 1700 dollars! I emailed the guy back and forth for a day, and finally convinced the guy that the player and discs weren't worth anywhere near what he was asking. I offered him 50 dollars for the player and discs, and he agreed! Winchester Ky was 50 miles where I live, so my wife and I considered it an adventure and took our 50.00 and away we went! The player only needed a stylus, played perfectly after I replaced it. But that wasn't the interesting thing. in that pile of discs, out on the middle of nowwhere, I picked up 35 titles. One was Gas Pump Girls (caddy only) Catch the Wave (the Aloha disc) The 1984 RCA products guide, Carlin at Carnigie, and a test disc that had no cover. I played the Catch the Wave disc, and gave it to a buddy who helped me get back into CEDs, (i'm glad my buddy has it!!!) the Catch the wave and products guide. I said all that to say this. You never know where or when you will pick up the mother lode! Maybe even in Kentucky out in the boondocks!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: