CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How rare are these?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wester

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: How rare are these? Reply with quote

rsrendfeld

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: How rare? Reply with quote

Probably very rare.

Where did you find it?

Ron in Indianapolis
Wester

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought it in a lot from a guy on another forum I frequent. Pretty good lot actually, I got a Sealed set of Ben Hur, Yellowbeard that still has the cellofane on it and a strange labelless copy of Beany and Cecil. There were 20 movies total. The guy I bought them from lives in Indiana. The movie in the picture is Mountain Men (Label is on the spine), the label says it is PAL but I have been assured by the guy i bought it from that it is NTSC.
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've never seen one of those. I have one PAL CED of Dolly In London that I got from an Ebay seller in the US, but I'm not going to collect those since there's too much trouble to go through to play them in the US. Just for fun I tried it on my SGT-250, the Stereo indicator lights up but just displays -- on the counter. The turntable on the PAL players is a different speed than on the NTSC. Interestingly it looks like all the discs were made in the US though, and was only on the market for a few months over there.
Wester

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of hoping to see if cedmagic had any input on this.
Since he is probably one of the few that could tell me if this is something to be considered a collection centerpiece, or just a curiosity.
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: RE: Generic PAL/SECAM VideoDisc Caddy Reply with quote

This caddy, which has surfaced in Indianapolis a few times, is the generic caddy for demonstration of the European VideoDisc system while it was under development. It is basically the equivalent of the SelectaVision Demonstration Program caddy used in the U.S.:

http://www.cedmagic.com/featured/demo-program/demo-program.html

It's hard to say what title(s) were originally inside as the known examples have all contained released NTSC titles. During the CED shutdown period someone at RCA probably disposed of the "useless" PAL titles inside these caddies and replaced them with excess NTSC discs that were lying around. A shame to say the least, but the caddies with their original discs might have simply been tossed in the dumpster otherwise.

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: