CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RCA PFR100 Front Projection Television

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DcF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: RCA PFR100 Front Projection Television Reply with quote

Hey there,

I had picked up an RCA PFR100 Front Projection big screen about 6 months ago from a classified ad in the newspaper for $50 Canadian. The TV works awesome, great picture considering how old it is. The screen, however, has some minor scratches and I was wondering if there was any way to polish it or clean it as it is a unique material. I have searched all over the web and this was the only site that has the exact model TV as I have.

I had bought the TV for personal use as it was a good deal and I thought it would be neat to be able to watch videos on a big screen. Out of curiosity how much is this television worth? As I said earlier this is the first website that has had any information on this model.

The model number is as fallows...
Model Number - PFR100WRC
Manufactured - March 1982

Any information on this TV would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Devin F
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: RE: RCA PFR100 Front Projection Television Reply with quote

RCA made a patch kit to repair damage to the aluminum film screen of the PFR100. This was Stock No. 150179, but this item will be difficult to find today. I heard from a PFR100 owner a few years ago who had spray-painted his screen with matte white paint, and someone else I suggested that repair to said it did work well to restore the damaged screen, although it wasn't quite as bright.

As to value, I've seen various front-projection TV's for sale in thrift stores for up to $150, and they do get brought, probably for their novelty value. When they first came out, these TV's were mainly institutional items for sports bars and such, and they weren't in the consumer market too long before being supplanted by rear-projection TV's.

Interestingly enough, front projection may be making a comeback in the consumer market, as LCD video projectors have vastly improved in the last few years. These units are now more compact, quieter and brighter, and a wide range of digital keystone correction allows them to project a rectangular image regardless of projector placement. Costco has a system on display in some of their stores for $2399.99 that includes a 92-inch screen:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11003547&whse=&topnav=&cat=

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: