CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

scrounging ceds - repairs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gunner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: scrounging ceds - repairs Reply with quote

Hey guys
First of all I want to thank blindfury for selling me that player a few weeks back. It works like a charm! Also, I placed a wanted ad in the Toronto area classifieds and low and behold, I received a call from a second hand store in Toronto that had about 25 ceds for sale. I went down there and I bought 10 discs (as I had the rest) for $3 each and $5 for still shrinkwrapped ones. I picked up a few cool titles that are hard to believe have never been opened after 30 years! On another note, I still have a Hitachi player that works and plays movies but it makes a hell of a squeal when i put the disc in and takes two attempts to load before it will play. Any ideas on what that could be....
Husker Du

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gunner

Welcome to the world of CED. It’s nice to see people in Ontario interested in CED, because there are not that many of us. Haha. I’m downsizing my collection, because they take up a lot of space. I still think it’s a great collectable and most people I introduce to CED think they are neat. At one point I had around 1200 of them and decided to just keep the ones I really want which is around 80 CED’s. I will be selling off the rest of the CED’s at the London Ont. collectable show, Sunday Jan. 27. All the info will be in the link below. All the CED movies will be $2 each, it does not matter if they are single or double disc. I will be selling between 200 - 250 CED’s. The titles range from common to very rare. If you’re interested I can also sell you the Service Alignment Disc and the RCA Video Monitors CED’s, but they will be more expensive.

http://londonshow.blogspot.ca/

Happy hunting and help spread the word of CED.

Adam
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: scrounging ceds - repairs Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Hey guys
First of all I want to thank blindfury for selling me that player a few weeks back. It works like a charm! Also, I placed a wanted ad in the Toronto area classifieds and low and behold, I received a call from a second hand store in Toronto that had about 25 ceds for sale. I went down there and I bought 10 discs (as I had the rest) for $3 each and $5 for still shrinkwrapped ones. I picked up a few cool titles that are hard to believe have never been opened after 30 years! On another note, I still have a Hitachi player that works and plays movies but it makes a hell of a squeal when i put the disc in and takes two attempts to load before it will play. Any ideas on what that could be....

That player uses a belt to load the disc tray by pulling it down through a series of gears so the disc contacts the platter. That could be the sound, the belt struggling to do its job.
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Husker. You are the first guy I have met in Ontario who is into CED. Lets stay in touch and maybe we can help each other scrounge machines, etc. I will try and get down to that show!!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: thanks RixRex Reply with quote

Thanks RixRex!!
Rixrex

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should clarify a bit. It's a belt youwill see near the platter if you take off the player cover. It isn't easy to see and there's not a lot of room to get to it, but it can be done. The belt turns a pully system that connects to gears that connect to a lever that drops the tray so the disc can contact the platter and spin up.

It's okay to take off the cover, and watch a disc loading and operating to try to find where the noise is. My suspision is that the tray does not actuall drop down all the way and the disc does not drop onto the platter to play. It coulds also be another belt on the left side of the player that moves the stylus arm out. That can squeal as well, and if the stylus arm doesn't move out, the disc will not play also.
Husker Du

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunner,

That sounds like a good idea helping each other with searching for CED’s. I generally use Kijiji. What about you? There are some CED fan pages on facebook: CED magic and RCA Selectavision Buy/ sell/ trade.

What CED’s do you collect or are you trying to find them all? I mostly collect horror and sci-fi. Some of my favorites in my collection are: I Spit on Your Grave, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and sealed copies of The Harder They Come & Friday the 13th 4 & 5. What are some of your favorites in your collection?

Adam
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: hitachi player Reply with quote

thanks a lot RixRex. I will follow your steps and take a look.....much appreciated!
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: my collection Reply with quote

Right now I have about 150 movies. I have the original Planet of the Apes movie and would like to find any of the other sequals but am not aware if they made any others on CED. I generally like the big name movies but also like any of the Rocky series. I have Rocky 1 and 2 but need 3. Also want to find Close Encounters of the third kind. I have a few horror movies too like hospital massacre and a few others. Am always open to trades too. I really am finding it hard to find players though. almost nobody knows what they are. I also use Kijjii.
Husker Du

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually find the players in large collections, but they are usually found in rural areas. Sometimes they work great or just need a belt replaced and sometimes they have to be fixed.

It’s funny you don’t have Rocky 3 either because I have 1, 2 & 4. haha.

I’m fine with trading. The first apes film is the only one on CED. I have some spare stylus that I can trade. I have an extra copy of Return of the Jedi that I’m willing to trade. If you want you can email me what you have to trade and are looking for and I can see if I have it. Make sure to put CED in the subject line.

adamparish@gmail.com
Gunner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: sounds good Reply with quote

we definately can do some trading. Do you have the skills to fix and/or repair these players? I dont. I destroyed a Toshiba VP 100 trying to fix it so now I will leave that up to someone who knows what they are doing....lol.
ketonic_dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all let me say welcome to the CED Magic forum Gunner. Sounds like your well on your way to the wonderful world of CED.

Secondly, Husker Du, Would I be able to buy that Service Alignment disc from you. I don't have that one yet and I'm trying to get every disc. It sounds like you may have quite a few to sell. I don't get up to Canada much, in fact I've never been unless you count the Boundary Waters. I did a portage and some camping up there for Boy Scouts years ago. I'm from Mankato, MN. I've got about 400 discs left to go to get to all 1700.

Third of all, I have 3 extra copies of Rocky III if either of you are interested. Your welcome to one if you pay postage. I have about 300 other extras as well and 8 extra players if your looking for another player to. Feel free to email me, ketonic_dude@hotmail.com with CED in the subject line and I can get you a full list.

Thanks.
Gunner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: thanks Ketonic Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words Ketonic. I will keep you in mind and if you are looking for a specific disc let me know. I seem to be hitting a lot of jackpots lately!
Beetlescott

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: scrounging ceds - repairs Reply with quote

Gunner wrote:
Hey guys

Hi Gunner! Welcome to CEDmagic!!! I agree with Husker, it is always great when new people join! I have an Hitachi player that makes a squealing noise, but not as bad as the one you are describing. I bought the player from John at CEDatum, the guy who rebuilds players and Styli. That type of player can be tempermental. I have to load mine twice sometimes. They do have a good picture though. Glad you are with us!!!
Gunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Beetlesoft Reply with quote

OMG! I do have to load that dman Hitachi player twice!....is that normal??????
Husker Du

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had a Hitachi & you only loaded it once & it didn’t make any squealing noises. It was a great machine. I always used it at shows whenever I was selling CED’s to show people what they looked like.
blindfury420

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words gunner! Remember if you ever need help don't hesitate to ask me and come here, very helpful crowd around here!

The Hitachi should only take one try to load a disc, the squeaking and squealing mean something needs a greasin or some oil plus a new belt or two in it like they said above!

McMicheal 5001h
Hitachi VIP202P
JCP 686-5705
RCA SKT265, SKT300
RCA SJT400X, SJT425
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: