CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bright / Dim Playback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr8track

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Bright / Dim Playback Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this playback symptom since I've experienced it on both of my players. When playing back a disc it plays fine, but will periodically get brighter for a second or two and then go back to normal brightness.
My second player is currently not functioning, so I can't check the discs to see if the areas where the image gets brighter is duplicated when playing back on a second player. I'm trying to determine if this is a disc or a playback problem. I'm guessing it is somehow related to playback, but not sure why the symptom would show up on both my players.
It's very distracting when watching a movie. It is a somewhat subtle difference in brightness, but very noticeable while viewing the movie.
I saw nothing listed in the troubleshooting guide that sounded specifically like my problem.
Rixrex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this. Play a disc that has that moment of brightness and note the scene and minute when it happens.

Then play it again later on and see if that happens at the same point. That might tell you it's in the dsisc. But my suspicion is the player.
dr8track

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:
Try this. Play a disc that has that moment of brightness and note the scene and minute when it happens.

Then play it again later on and see if that happens at the same point. That might tell you it's in the dsisc. But my suspicion is the player.

Thanks. I will give that a try and report back.
dr8track

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rixrex wrote:

OK, I played the first 15 minutes of a disc and logged where the bright/dim pattern occurred.
Then I played the same disc again and recorded where the bright/dim symptom happened again.
The pattern was completely random, so it doesn't sound like its the disc. Seems to be a playback issue.
Does anyone have any thoughts what might be causing this?
Rixrex

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same symptoms on two different players? What about the possibility of it being in the TV set or the connection?
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also how is it hooked up, and what kind of TV are you using? Some newfangled digital equipment adjusts the brightness of analog inputs- the picture on my DVD recorder when transferring old tapes sometimes comes out too bright.
cbertra2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your your hookup through the RCA audio video plugs or coax. If the coax hookup works fine then it could be an impedance mismatch between the players and the TV. I had this problem with my old Sony front projection set. There was a user adjustable adjustment on the back of the tv to match the impedance from the output of the player to the input of the tv. It cured the problem.
dr8track

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbertra2 wrote:
Is your your hookup through the RCA audio video plugs or coax. If the coax hookup works fine then it could be an impedance mismatch between the players and the TV. I had this problem with my old Sony front projection set. There was a user adjustable adjustment on the back of the tv to match the impedance from the output of the player to the input of the tv. It cured the problem.

It is hooked up via modern equipment, so that is something I could experiment with. Right now the RCA outputs on the back of the CED player go directly to a modern Yamaha receiver with multiple inputs on the rear for a variety of equipment. So, it goes to RCA Video and stereo Audio inputs on the Yamaha. Then, the output of the Yamaha receiver is HMDI to the Toshiba LCD television.
And Jesse, regarding your suggestion, it's not a continually brighter picture. It goes back and forth. Bright for a second or two, then back to the normal pic. Then bright, then back to normal. In a 15 minute period that probably happened 50 times.
But an easy was to at least check to see if it makes a difference is to hook the CED player either directly to the back of my television or to another TV and see if that makes a difference in playback. I'll give that a try and report back.
Thanks for the suggestions.
7jlong

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like what we used to get when trying to copy a Macrovision-encoded VHS tape. They put flashing white signal in the vertical blanking interval (the same off-screen portion of a TV picture where closed captioning information lives) to confuse a VCR's automatic gain control - the sudden bright white would annoy the gain control and you'd end up with a copy that kept getting lighter and darker.

A persistent drawback of CED players is that the signal coming out of them is actually very rough-n-dirty compared to today's devices. If the needle isn't on the disc, there's no signal. If the needle hops around or skips, the signal gets garbled. It is possible - and this is just thinking out loud, may not mean anything - that there is some garbage ending up in the signal coming out of your player that is irritating your receiver.

Another possible troubleshooting step would be to pass the video through a "dumber" device like an older VCR first. It might clean up the signal just enough that modern devices won't try too hard to "fix" things.
dr8track

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7jlong wrote:
This sounds like what we used to get when trying to copy a Macrovision-encoded VHS tape. They put flashing white signal in the vertical blanking interval (the same off-screen portion of a TV picture where closed captioning information lives) to confuse a VCR's automatic gain control - the sudden bright white would annoy the gain control and you'd end up with a copy that kept getting lighter and darker.

You know, now that you mention it, it does look very similar to a Macrovision-encoded signal that is being copied. I knew that flashing was familiar, but couldn't recall the setting I'd seen it in. That is a very accurate comparison to what I'm seeing.
I'm going to try the route of taking it out of the loop of the modern receiver and hooking it directly to a TV via RCA cables and see if that solves the issue.
If that doesn't fix it I'll loop the signal through my remaining VHS player as you suggest and see if that does anything.
Thanks for the ideas. This is one of those times when it just did not occur to me that it might be in the hookup rather than a problem with the machine or disc. It will be easy to check out this evening.
Thanks
Jesse Skeen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CEDs never had any sort of copy protection. Macrovision is accomplished by putting flashing white boxes in the vertical interval. CEDs already had time code there, so did laserdiscs which is why they never had it either.

Here's a video on my old LCD TV that let you see the vertical interval, playing a VHS tape with Macrovision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBTYbm3CZQ
dr8track

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
CEDs never had any sort of copy protection. Macrovision is accomplished by putting flashing white boxes in the vertical interval. CEDs already had time code there, so did laserdiscs which is why they never had it either.

Here's a video on my old LCD TV that let you see the vertical interval, playing a VHS tape with Macrovision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fBTYbm3CZQ

Yes, I realize CED's don't have Macrovision and I definitely know what Macrovision looks like when trying to transfer from VHS to VHS. Dubbed many a movie back in the day through a box that defeated the Macrovision.
While the flashing playback on my CED wasn't due to Macrovision, what I was saying is that it had a very similar appearance to the flashing while trying to dub old VHS movies.
As someone upthread suggested, tonight I disconnected the video OUT from the CED that was going to a video IN on my Yamaha receiver. Then I directly hooked up the video OUT from the CED directly to a video IN on my Toshiba TV. Now the video plays back perfectly. So, the modern receiver was doing something wanky to the video signal.
And, I also set the playback of my TV so the CED plays back in 4:3 format rather than the stretched 16:9. So, thanks for your thread about that reminder. Smile
So, all is well now with my Sears. Now I've just got to figure out the problem with my RCA SJT 200 and I'll be set.
7jlong

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Skeen wrote:
CEDs never had any sort of copy protection.

I never said that it did, just that the symptoms sounded similar and perhaps some kind of troubleshooting strategy could be gleaned from that.

Luckily dr8track knew what I was getting at despite my wacky, nonsensical comparison and found a solution.
DirectorSG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr8track wrote:
It is hooked up via modern equipment, so that is something I could experiment with. Right now the RCA outputs on the back of the CED player go directly to a modern Yamaha receiver with multiple inputs on the rear for a variety of equipment. So, it goes to RCA Video and stereo Audio inputs on the Yamaha. Then, the output of the Yamaha receiver is HMDI to the Toshiba LCD television.

This issue here might have to do with a TV setting. My Panasonic LCD has a setting called "A.I. picture", which causes this bright/dim issue and is especially noticeable when I watch a movie on Blu-ray/DVD/CED. One would think that Toshiba LCDs might have a similar setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: