CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion
Forum topics can be anything related to SelectaVision CED's, and could include offers to buy/sell/trade, repair advice, historical anecdotes, caches of CED's you've discovered, etc.

Click on the Register link to join.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SFT100 Help, Plays and all but repeates every minute or so

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flipynif

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: SFT100 Help, Plays and all but repeates every minute or so Reply with quote

Just got a new Stylus for my SFT100 player. Razz Excited I put it in and threw on Return of the Pink Panther (which didn't come in my DVD box set). The familiar RCA Selectavision startup came up and played for a minute then started all over again.

Doing some basic troubleshooting I manually put the arm ahead a bit and played the movie again. There I saw the movie playing fine, however it skipped back to where it started again after a minute or so.

Opening the machine The gears looked fine on the back right and the little belt was still attached. Moving the gears by hand the arm did move foreward, and the metal bar the arm is on was rather dirty and sticky, so I cleaned it with some rubbing alcohol.

Tested again same problem. Shocked

The visual fast forward works, but skips just the same, the rapid fast forward does not seem to work at all (the one that fast forward with the video off).

Any suggestions? (sorry for the long winded story)
cedmagic
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: RE: SFT100 Repetitious Playback of One Minute Duration Reply with quote

It sounds like the Servo Drive belt has taken a set and needs to be replaced. Even though the belt may look fine, if the player sat unused for years the belt will have stiffened where it contacts the servo motor shaft, which will no longer be able to rotate the belt. Under these conditions the pickup arm is also incapable of motion, so you only get the minute or so of playback afforded by the spring mounting of the stylus tip, which suddenly springs back to center when it reaches the limit of this motion.

Other less likely causes of your problem could be failure of the servo motor itself or its associated circuitry. Or the pickup arm mechanism could have excessive friction or misalignment to the extent that the servo motor cannot generate enough torque to overcome it.

A new servo motor drive belt can be purchased on this page:

http://www.cedmagic.com/home/purchase.html

--Tom Howe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CED VideoDisc and Player Discussion Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: